Do Pregnancy Blues lead to Baby Blues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2004, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
DO most mamas that have out of the clear blue down times during pregnancy also have baby blues after little one is born?

I know it is common to be on a hormonal roller coaster, but with this baby, feels more common, more long lsting... I didn't have this with my first child.
(Or is it stress of being a mommy to a toddler and being pregnant too?)

So, just wondering if the two go together?

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have a good answer for you. It is possible to suffer from antenatal depression during pregnancy and it is more common than once thought. If you do, it is also very possible that it will continue on after the baby arrives. Do you feel like this is something more than fatigue and hormones?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks Jish...I am feeling better and have started being diligent about taking my Omega 3s.

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:47 PM

I got very depressed while pregnant with ds. One day I had a really really BAD day. It woke me up to realise what could happen. I was so afraid I would end up hurting my dd. When I'm depressed I dont have very much patience. So my midwife put me on zoloft. After ds was born I was fine. Within two weeks I was off my meds and no baby blues.

I am pregnant again, and once agian on zoloft. Hope to have the same results after this baby is born.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 02-01-2005, 01:18 AM

Ifelt really good during my pregnancy. I had my baby on Saturday morning. By Sunday afternoon, the hormones had gone down and I was crying here and there. It took me about two to three weeks to feel better. Then at about 6 months, I got depressed (I have a history of depression as well). I am getting better slowly but surely. But if you suffer from depression during pg I know you are more likely to have PPD.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:45 PM

I guess every woman's experience is different. Just thought I would share mine. I have no history of depression except for a few bouts when I was a teenager. During my first pregnancy, I was delighted, I probably had my down days, but I just took lots of interior time or watched TV. With pregnancy number two, it came faster than I was expecting. I was just starting to feel a little more independence from my first DS and even considering getting a full-time job (which I was excited about). Then I got pregnant, felt confused, thought I was having a miscarriage, felt guilty and realized how much I wanted the baby, then didn't have a miscarriage. In the midst of this my son was going through the terrible twos and still night nursing alot. My husband was working long hours and didn't dote on me at all the way he had with my first. Not to mention we were living in a small apartment next to a technical school where I had to listen to saws all day. I was sick, exhausted, impatient with DS, in a black hole, and just trying to make it through my days most of the time. Finally we put my son in preschool, moved, and I had a beautiful homebirth. My depression pretty much lifted right after the move as I entered my 3rd trimester. Some of it must have been hormonal, some life situation. I have felt great ever since. Now both boys are home with me full time, and I'm loving it. I still have my low energy days, but my depression during pregnancy seems like a cloud I can hardly remember. I have some regrets about how I treated my DS during that time though. I wish now that I had found a way to get some more help and support. I really didn't tell anyone except my husband and tried to tell my MW who for some reason hardly said a word. Good luck, the worst is probably behind you, but get the support you need anyway.

User Tag List