I need some anti depressant information - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-23-2002, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 21 months post partum and believe I have been suffering from mild depression or ppd since my beautiful dd was born. I suffered major anxiety over every little issue to do with my dd and was often in tears for the first few months of her life. I agonised over every decision and action - breastfeeding, vaccination, cosleeping etc and tried to do everything perfectly but instead felt like I messed everything up.

At 13 months post partum I had a breakdown and heart palpitations and was prescribed anti depressants by my GP. Not believing I needed to take them and that my situation could be solved by getting a better nights sleep (dd was a poor sleeper from birth) I never took them.

I am still feeling down more than I am up, dont feel positive about my future, experience feelings of frustration, negativity, anger and no hope. I often dont know how I am going to cope over the next few years as I find parenting one of the hardest jobs I have ever done in my life. The future seems bleak to me most of the time and I have found myself constantly yelling at my dd becuase I am so angry with my situation. We live in a remote location and have no support network here. I have been travelling up to my mums place for support so I can go shopping and see movies and try and feel like my own person again. On the outside, I have no reason to be down - I have everything I have ever wanted, yet I feel so sad and low in energy and unmotivated - even cleaning up books off the floor can seem like too much.

I am seeing a GP in a couple of days to ask again about anti depressants to see if it will help my situation. What is on the market? How long can you be on them for? Are there long term side effects? I am breastfeeding my dd once a day only in the mornings - have weaned her in anticipation for going on these.

I am interested to know what other mothers are on, and how your quality of life has improved. ALso, what are the withdrawals like? Any sites that are easy to read and offer some basic information coupled with other mothers experiences would be really helpful. I also worry about having to take a pill every day just to cope with life.
#2 of 8 Old 09-24-2002, 11:57 AM

Hi.
I wish I had time to answer you in depth.. maybe I will come back when I'm at home.

But I just wanted to say a couple of things..
First, I am soo sorry you are going through this. PPD is very very very hard. Any kind of depression is, but it is all magnified when you are worrying about your child.

I am taking Paxil for my ppd. If you read through these threads, you will see that some people have issues with Paxil because it can be difficult to withdraw from. Plus it has some sexual side effects for some people (not me).

It has helped me enormously. My doctor is an expert in the field of ppd. He prefers to treat it with the SSRI anti-depressants because there have been lots of long-term studies on them.
We chose Paxil for me because I'd had success with it before. Many other people use Zoloft because it is gentler and easier to withdraw from.

There are other classes of anti-depressants that can be used as well, however.

And you did not/do not have to wean. You can safely take many anti-depressants while nursing. My doctor says that in a year of my taking the Paxil, ds will get approximately two doses, which is negligible.

Would you feel bad taking a pill to manage the pain from a broken rib? Probably not. So there's no need to feel bad taking a pill to manage pain from depression. And it doesn't have to be forever..

Anyway good luck. I will try to come back with some web resources.
Suggest you do a search on Dr. Zachary Stowe. He's at Emory University here in Atlanta.. has done extensive work on anti-depressants and ppd.
#3 of 8 Old 09-24-2002, 02:57 PM

I was taking Celexa from April to about a week ago, and it drained me. I couldn't function without a nap every day. It did help the depression though. I'm now on Effexer. It's been less than a week, but it seems to be helping. No side effects yet that I can tell.

Oh, and I'm still nursing dd on demand (she's 26 months), and have had no problems.
#4 of 8 Old 09-24-2002, 04:10 PM

My heart goes out to you...

I have struggled with depression at different times and I have used anti-depressant meds on occasion. I resisted that for a long time, but it is worth trying to see if they help you. Paxil is considered safe during pregnancy and nursing. I used it for a little while when nursing.

I totally understand your resistence to meds, but think of it this way. If your child was suffering the way that you are, wouldn't you want your child to TRY to find something that would alleviate the pain?? Taking meds does not mean that you are weak!

Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers.
Blessings.
Kathleen
#5 of 8 Old 09-24-2002, 04:12 PM

I've been on Paxil since shortly after my son's birth, and he still bfs like crazy. I honestly am not sure I would still be here without it. And when I tried to wean off it a while ago I very shortly started feeling depressed again. So, I'm going to keep taking it for a while (maybe until my baby sleeps?). I have taken it in the past (I have a personal and family history of depression) and I haven't experienced any side effects (though it is difficult to wean from).

Deciding to take meds is a very difficult, personal decision. It doesn't have to be forever, though - most people eventually discontinue medication once their systems have balanced out (I think 6 months or so is a pretty average duration of treatment?). As an outsider, reading your symptoms, you certainly sound depressed, and I'm feeling for you. You deserve to have energy and light in your life. You deserve to feel good.

I'm glad you're seeking out help, whether or not that means medication for you. Best of luck - we'll be thinking of you.
#6 of 8 Old 09-26-2002, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SOOOOOO much for your kind words and support - you dont know how much it meant to me. I went to the doctor today who prescribed Cipramil (Celexa or citalopram) for my post natal depression and said it would be wise to cut nursing.

Nursing my dd has been a great part of my life and I am not sure I can give it up fully just yet!! She is only down to one feed every morning and I want to keep that for a another month or two. ANy advice on nursing while on this medication? The amount of breastmilk is small and so I doubt she would be exposed to high levels of the drug with this small intake of milk. Is it still too risky?

ANy advice appreciated. Also - is the odd drink or two or three not recommended with this medication? I enjoy a social drink with my friends - which isnt often but I enjoy it. To not be able to even have one or two would be a bit upsetting!
#7 of 8 Old 09-26-2002, 02:49 PM

Your dd is 21 months, right? I was on Celexa from when my dd was 21 months to 26 months, and I nursed way more than you do. She is/was fine, both my dr. and the pharmacist said it was okay. I only switched because the Celexa was making me too tired.
#8 of 8 Old 09-26-2002, 06:19 PM

Hi - I'm already seeing someone for prental anxiety and have discussed meds for PPD b/c I have had depression in the past. Celexa, Prozac, Paxil - I was told they're all completely safe for nursing... I have taken Paxil and Prozac in the past: Paxil kept me up all night so I stopped after a little over the month. I took Prozac for about 18 months and it worked wonders. I have had friends who took Paxil and had a terrible time getting off of it, although they were fine while on it (and nursed as well).

Good luck and I hope you feel better

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page