Brooke Shields/PPD on Oprah - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not normally an Oprah watcher, but I saw an ad today that Brooke Shields is going to be on tomorrow (I think) talking about her experience with PPD. I read an interview with her (Shields) and it was very interesting. I think it's great that someone in the public eye is coming out and talking about the actual thoughts and feelings associated with PPD- the disassociated, disconnected feeling-- and explaining that it's more than just being "tired" or having "the baby blues."

I'm going to try to remember to watch.

Leigh

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#2 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Banned

yeah I plan on watching it too if I can get back from my midwife appointment fast enough! I can't be chatty tomorrow!

Although I am not pleased that Brooke is a spokesperson for formula (grrr)...I do think it is a good thing that she is coming out about PPD and will most likely watch...
#3 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 12:09 PM

I'll have to watch today. I was also very, umm, disappointed at her formula commercials and kind of disliked her after that. But being a PPD momma, I am interested in what her experience was like. I saw her book about her PPD in the bookstore yesterday. I would never buy it, but I will tune in to hear her interview. Thanks for the info!
#4 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM

A friend of mine is going to be one of the people on the panel. Her name is Diana I'll be watching, though I don't suffer from PPD. I'm interested to see what has to be said about it though. Namaste, Tara
#5 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 06:24 PM

Her pre-birth and birth experience mirrors my own so much it is frightening. She is expressing thoughts I was always too ashamed to voice. I am so glad she is doing this.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#6 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM

I forgot and only got to Tivo it starting late so I missed the beginning of her story... can anyone tell me why she had the c/s in the first place?
#7 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTaraX
A friend of mine is going to be one of the people on the panel. Her name is Diana I'll be watching, though I don't suffer from PPD. I'm interested to see what has to be said about it though. Namaste, Tara
I didnt see a panel?

They didnt go into much detail but her water broke and then she was induced.. and then an emergency c section. I think she also said that her uterous herniated?
#8 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

Wow, I watched it and I was very impressed at how candid, and honest she was! I think she came across as very intelligent, very real, and didn't seem to hold anything back.

I am not a therapist at all, but after hearing about her birth experience, it is understandable to me why she suffered from PPD (though I know people who have great births can suffer too!)...

I think her experience will help a lot of women who (as mentioned) are too ashamed or embarrassed to put words to how they feel.
#9 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 10:36 PM

I don't like anyone who does formula commercials.
#10 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 10:53 PM

I don't see how that's relevent to the discussion. Like her or not, she is trying to be a much needed voice. I admire her for having the courage to speak out about something that is so often blown off because "baby blues" are common in new mothers. Common as it may be, it's not spoken about enough. I know I felt very invalidated the first few weeks after my son's birth. "Oh, you just have the baby blues" is not helpful in any way whatsoever. There needs to be more education for new mothers and fathers about how to cope with PPD.

Not that it makes much of a difference, she did say she breastfed.
#11 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 11:04 PM

Maybe Brooke's PPD was comprised mostly of advance guilt about how she'd go on to promote the joy of formula to millions of magazine readers and tv watchers. Great that she's candid about PPD but WHAT a big missed opportunity to promote baby's best food - mama's milk. We need more celeb mom boobies in the limelight...ahem, in the latched-on limelight.

IMO the fact she bf'd doesn't help...if anything, that should show that she knows ff isn't the same.
#12 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe Brooke's PPD was comprised mostly of advance guilt about how she'd go on to promote the joy of formula to millions of magazine readers and tv watchers.
wow. how mean. i dont like that she did formula commercials either but that isnt a reason to feel good about the fact that she had such a horrible bout with PPD. I wouldnt wish that on ANYONE.
#13 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 11:43 PM

I am kinda of disgusted that you think she is so horrible for representing a formula company -- sorry but I don't discount or dislike someone for this reason. In fact when I FF my son, the one we adopted because nursing wasn't working out, I used formula, and I used :::Gasp::: Nestle.

Mothers with PPD and often first time mothers have difficulty nursing and need to supplement with formula. I've watched friends, HUGE breastfeeding advocates mind you, have to supplement because they did not have the supply to meet the demand. They often sent husbands to fetch their formula just in case some judgemental friend or aquaintance might see them.

Yes, Brooke Shields breastfed, and she formula fed. Last I check its not a sin to FF -- yep, we know its not the best but at times it may be best with mommy is whacked out on PPD and can barely stand to hold her baby much less latch them to their breast, mommy may have milk supply issues, or whatever.

I watched Brooke today and I plan to buy her book. I related to alot of what she said, I also understood everything she felt about her birth experience, and what followed. I was in tears that someone could be so candid and honest with the world about things that are so personaly and terrifying.

As for why she had a csection, she had planned this o so wonderful natural birth, her water broke but she never went into labor, so the next day she was induced -- the induction was not working, and her baby had heart decels and was not handling the induction well. Her uterus was herniated, which was discovered after she went in for her csection and her baby had the cord wrapped around her neck and then it was also tightly wrapped around her arm shoulder and leg in some weird fashion. She had a horrific csection experience -- in fact she said in her book "i was gutted like a fish on a crucifix".
#14 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado
Maybe Brooke's PPD was comprised mostly of advance guilt about how she'd go on to promote the joy of formula to millions of magazine readers and tv watchers. Great that she's candid about PPD but WHAT a big missed opportunity to promote baby's best food - mama's milk. We need more celeb mom boobies in the limelight...ahem, in the latched-on limelight.

IMO the fact she bf'd doesn't help...if anything, that should show that she knows ff isn't the same.
I cant believe I just read this. I find this disgusting and sick you would say this about anyone, no matter who they are. :
#15 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado

That was a nasty thing to say, IMO. I wondered if she formula fed because she could not feel enough attachment to her baby to breastfeed her. I think her story is so sad, & she was BRAVE to come out & talk about it, & the reactions like this one are probably why so many women try to hide their feelings.
#16 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 12:11 AM

I missed the show. Darn. Yes, I agree that it was sad to see her making a commercial for formula, yet, now we may have a little window into perhaps some of her reasoning. My understanding is that often when women are suffering from bad ppd they are definately having milk supply issues or just unable to keep nursing as much as a baby demands. Her understanding of this could have been a factor in promoting formula.
I, too had planned a wonderful natural birth, ended up with an emergency section and suffered from ppd yet stayed in denial of it for months! With my second child, attempted vbac turned section, I went thru the ppd yet that time was ready to see it and got help. MOre women like Brooke should always tell their story so people can be helped.
No-one ever has any right to judge a woman who is trying her best to be a good mom while being treated for ppd. Walk a mile in her shoes. BETCHA CANT
~L
#17 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 12:48 AM

I think it's really fabulous that she is putting herself out there so much with this.
I've seen her picture everywhere lately, all the magazines at the stores, her book, tv shows, everywhere. And all to bring attention to ppd! I think it's awsome.
#18 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahNH
And all to bring attention to ppd! I think it's awsome.

This is pretty crappy, but I would imagine it has a fair amount to do with the money she is making.... kind of like the formula ad.....

That said, I did see her on Oprah today and thought she was pretty courageous to admit the things she did.
#19 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I recall that Marie Osmond wrote a book about her PPD, and I believe that Brooke is also.

We need to let others know that just because a woman has alot going for her that does not mean she will not suffer from a chemical, emotional or post birth trauma...birth needs to be seen as a time when women need help in every aspect of their being.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#20 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 AM

She switched to ff'ing becuase the meds she ended up on for the PPD were not compatable for bf'ing. I know someone will counter that with there are other meds out there, but I do not know specifically what med she was on and not every med will work for every person.

Alot of women suffer from PPD due to these hard core militant bf'ing women who look down on, are rude and judgemental to other people's situation.

She had a bad miscarriage, went through a horrific birth, suffered from severe PPD and subconsciously was asking for help but it was over a month before anyone else listened to her. Her thoughts on not wanting to be around her baby, on walking out, on the baby not living with her were poo-poo'd by her friends and family. IMO the key message anyone should get from watching Oprah and those who may read/borrow her book(or any other book on PPD) is for everyone to be on the watch for PPD to catch the signs before it turns into the next case of a mom killing her children. FF'ing vs BF'ing has no spot in this discussion. Once she got help she made a choice that was best for her and her child. It may not be the idea choice or the choice that another would make but it is still her choice to make. Being judgemental to someone does not give emotional support that new mothers(especially first time mothers) need. Supporting a mother in her choices helps to decrease their chance of PPD. When you are judgemental towards a person's choice you are pushing them and telling them what they are doing is wrong. You push that "ideal perfect mother" syndrome onto them and their confidence and self esteem lowers, they start thinking that everything they do is not good enough.
#21 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Being so successful and glamourous all of these years with an image to hold up and hang on to, she was probably unbelievable pressured to be the perfect mother. Too bad. Life is so severe with some women, no one can have a hair out of place without someone writing about it.

Also with all of her $ I am sure she had hired help. So sad that even then she was depressed. How mcuh more must a woman be depressed who does not have the options that Brooke had?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#22 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy
Wow, I watched it and I was very impressed at how candid, and honest she was! I think she came across as very intelligent, very real, and didn't seem to hold anything back.

I am not a therapist at all, but after hearing about her birth experience, it is understandable to me why she suffered from PPD (though I know people who have great births can suffer too!)...

I think her experience will help a lot of women who (as mentioned) are too ashamed or embarrassed to put words to how they feel.

I TiVO'd it. I am also going to TiVO all the OPrah-After the Shows and see what the continuation dialogue will be (with the panel perhaps?)

My heart goes out to her... she was really put through the wringer.

She said that she wasn't over come by instant love for her baby at birth. She also said she thinks people lie about it (and there was laughter and applause in the audience.)

I didn't have PPD, but it was love at first sight with my 2 babies (one hospital birth, another home birth) either. Anybody else?

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#23 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 AM

I agree that she was very courageous to do this. During the interview, I kept thinking "if someone hasn't gone through this, they're going to think she's horrible." There's just not enough public education about PPD. I remember being terrified of my "dark thoughts" before I got treatment for PPD. Fortunately, I never had thoughts of harming my son, but like Brooke, I would have visions of terrible things happening to him, and I also thought about death a lot. I felt like I couldn't tell anyone about it because I was afraid my ds would be taken from me. When I finally told my midwife, and she was totally nonplussed by it, I was so relieved! We really need this issue to come out in the open, and I really admire her for what she's doing.

I also want to point out that she tried many different meds before finding one that worked for her.
#24 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 11:28 AM

I admire her greatly for being so honest and exposing herself like this. I'm sure it will help many women, and for that I'm grateful for her courage.

However, I think the fact that she has appeared in advertisements for formula contemptible.

Yes, formula does need to exist for those mothers and babies that truly need it. But the WHO code was developed for a reason... advertising formula as a "choice" makes it more likely for it to be used for convenience. And the more formula that is used, the poorer health our babies/children/adults have. Lending her celebrity cache to formula makes it an acceptable choice for mothers who might be better served with more support to BF instead. Not to mention the fact that PPD has been shown to be lower in BF'ing moms.
#25 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
This is pretty crappy, but I would imagine it has a fair amount to do with the money she is making.... kind of like the formula ad.....

That said, I did see her on Oprah today and thought she was pretty courageous to admit the things she did.
Not everything is about the $$$. I know that she has briefly talked about PPD in the past (before this book) for no $$$.

Also, do you think the regular woman brings this to the forefront? Not unless they murder their children -- unfortunately we need celebrity moms to be candid about it.
#26 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani
I didn't have PPD, but it was love at first sight with my 2 babies (one hospital birth, another home birth) either. Anybody else?
Did you mean to say "wasn't love at first sight?"

I'll admit to that. DS didn't sleep well at all, I had a traumatic hospital birth with lots of meds I didn't want, hemorraging after birth and hallucinations when I got home. I really connected with Brooke when she said permanent damage happens when mothers go through things like this.
#27 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
She switched to ff'ing becuase the meds she ended up on for the PPD were not compatable for bf'ing. I know someone will counter that with there are other meds out there, but I do not know specifically what med she was on and not every med will work for every person.
I am looking at taking a med that may or may not be compatible with breastfeeding, Lexapro. I have successfully breastfed three other children and will not begin taking it until my milk supply has been established -- my doctor thinks that will be a big positive for me since I am an experienced mom. However there is the risk that Lexapro will affect my milk supply and make my baby lethargic. I am going to play it by ear. I am a lot more comfortable with my mothering and myself that supplementing is not going to be the great horror I thought it once was. When we adopted, I would cry hysterically making Formula bottles -- I am over that. It's more important for me to be sane with four children, and enjoy them and my family life.
I have looked at other meds, and have taken other meds -- they were just too strong and didn't work for me, some I have looked at just are not that great for breastfeeding at all, so it seems like Lexapro is the best choice for now.
#28 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani
She said that she wasn't over come by instant love for her baby at birth. She also said she thinks people lie about it (and there was laughter and applause in the audience.)

I had all those thoughts and expectations like Brooke did (while I related so well to her whole story). I did not love my oldest child at first site. I felt distant and unsure and just really wanted to not be in pain anymore.
With my second child, I was ambivalent and hesitent. It was an adoption situation and I did have like a PPD -- which two OBs believe I had because I made myself lactate to nurse him. (once I quit breastfeeding all together, and had a "vacation" from my him, I bounced back to being non-crazy)
With my third child, I planned (like Brooke plans too) a csection, choose a really great staff and OB to treat me, lined up help, and took meds during the third trimester and after birth for PPD. I felt wonderful. I had a wonderful experience. And I fell in love with my son. It was instant. For the first time I felt comfortable to fall in love with a baby. I just melted right into him. He's three now, and our bond is so strong -- its unfortunate I don't have this with my other children even though I love them dearly.
#29 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
More likely, is that she was never shown her options. I doubt very much her doctors went down the list (with Tom Hale's book) letting her know which drug would work best with breastfeeding. So I don't blame her for that. Women still wean because of meds (after Csec, whatever...) and that is simply because they are not self-educated about it (like us, which isn't their fault) and they don't have wise women (LLL friends, their own BFing mothers, girlfriends who have been there/done that, LCs...) with them.

Quote:
Alot of women suffer from PPD due to these hard core militant bf'ing women who look down on, are rude and judgemental to other people's situation.
That's pretty shocking to me, because I don't know any militant B'fing women in real life.

I have 1 friend IRL whose incredibly high expecations (when it didn't match reality) sent her into a bad PPD immediately after birth... She ended up weaning shortly after (due to a lot of issues) and I never blamed her for it or anything. I just had lots of compassion for her (probably not so) unique (probably preventable ) situation. She was still a great mama.

Quote:
She had a bad miscarriage, went through a horrific birth, suffered from severe PPD and subconsciously was asking for help but it was over a month before anyone else listened to her. Her thoughts on not wanting to be around her baby, on walking out, on the baby not living with her were poo-poo'd by her friends and family. IMO the key message anyone should get from watching Oprah and those who may read/borrow her book(or any other book on PPD) is for everyone to be on the watch for PPD to catch the signs before it turns into the next case of a mom killing her children.
Yup. And that's why her book is a great service. She is entitled to make $$$ but in this case, it's a very worthy cause. Her celebrity will bring great, much needed attention to this issue, so in this case, that's a good thing.

Quote:
FF'ing vs BF'ing has no spot in this discussion.
Yes and no.

No, it's not relevant to this discussion. This thread is not the place to hang her high for doing the formula ad. Yes it was horrible for the cause, but she doesn't know any better!!! I just WISH she would read the MILK, MONEY & MADNESS book... or go to a LLLI conference or something. If she became self-educated, and didn't stand up for the right thing, THEN I'd be self-righteous about it.

Yes it is relevant... because when you start attacking 'militant BFers' who exactly is that? Everyone has their own definition and that needs to be cleared up. I'm not going to judge a mother who decides to wean earlier than 6 months (out of her own needs). But I do think BF advocacy is important. Some people think BF advocates (and people who nurse for 3 years - like me) are 'militant BFers.' See? That's why my back gets up.

Though I do think some posts on this thread were mean and insensitive. I chose to ignore the issue up to this point (because the Formula ads aren't relevant to the discussion.)

Quote:
Once she got help she made a choice that was best for her and her child. It may not be the idea choice or the choice that another would make but it is still her choice to make. Being judgemental to someone does not give emotional support that new mothers(especially first time mothers) need. Supporting a mother in her choices helps to decrease their chance of PPD. When you are judgemental towards a person's choice you are pushing them and telling them what they are doing is wrong. You push that "ideal perfect mother" syndrome onto them and their confidence and self esteem lowers, they start thinking that everything they do is not good enough.
ITA with you there. I don't need Brooke Shields to represent all women and motherhood and BF for the public. She is a human being - imperfect - just like the rest of us. But man, doing those Calvin ads (and being told you are a "role model" for years and years) really does a number on your brain. Note to self - never let my teenagers become models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
Also with all of her $ I am sure she had hired help. So sad that even then she was depressed. How mcuh more must a woman be depressed who does not have the options that Brooke had?
Now that issue deserves it's own thread. Are you sure? I'm not. I think most American women come home to nobody to help them. Just the hubby. But the hubby is in no mental place to really * support * a new mother. Other cultures have women (family) coming over to help the new mama. Here, after the baby is born, people forget about the mother and just dote on the baby... which makes new, traumatized mothers tailspin even farther.

Let's say she did hire a "baby nurse." Baby nurses just focus on teaching new parents how to 1) care for the baby or 2) just take care of the baby. Again, the baby nurse isn't there to zoom in on mom's needs.

And with the baby being cared for by a nurse, that takes the mother off the hook, doesn't it? Though apparently, it was pretty obvious to dad something was very wrong. But poor guy, he wasn't trained to deal with it.

I wonder if they gave her Cyotec? I was wondering about the meds she got in her induction. Could anything have caused her to bleed internally? Just wondering.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#30 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 01:27 PM

I just want to point out again that in the Oprah interview Brooke said she DID start with meds that enabled her to bf with her dd.

I think the judgmental tone of many of these postings is dangerous. I know I resisted meds for my PPD because I was not satisfied with the research on long terms effects on nurslings. However, I finally was scared enough to try Zoloft. Fortunately it worked, and I continued bf-ing. Had it not, I'm not sure what I would have done. I know if I couldn't continue bf-ing, it would have contributed to the feelings of being a failure that I was already having, and I may have decided not to take the meds, which may have been disastrous. Each mother must weigh the risks and benefits of continuing to bf while on certain medications, and I don't think it's helpful to condemn someone for deciding it's a risk they're not comfortable taking. In fact, that kind of condemnation may make a woman less likely to get help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page