postpartum depression or just depression? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is all depression within a certain amount a time after having a baby considered postpartum depression or are the symptoms different? I was treated for depression several years ago (pre- mamahood). Many of my symptoms have returned since DD was born in January. But I bonded with her, I feel no resentment towards her or any of that kind of stuff. Could the hormonal changes have just triggered my tendency towards plain old normal depression??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-22-2005, 06:34 PM

Celia:

I´ve been lurking this forum for two to three weeks. My simpathy and respect to all of you dealing with PPD.

I dónt have any history of depression, neither my family (grands, mom, dad, brothers, sisters) but me!

I started to suffer this horrid illness from my first day of my first pregnancy on july of 2000, and recovered without meds on July-Agust 2001, later in june 2004 i became pregnant again with no depression at all, but at 8 months pregnant I started to feel its presence, until today. My baby boy is 4 months right now, I started breastfeeding him, but at three weeks postpartum I couldn´t handle it, so stop breastfeeding and taking meds (zoloft 50 mg 1 month, then Remeron 30 mg daily). What I can say is that no matter what causes this horrible illness, for me it´s supose to be hormonal, since I have not have depression in any other time in my life. The thing is that we all deserve to have a better quality of life during these periods, no matter if you use meds, alternative, or whatever, the important thing is to seek help.

I live in Mexicali, Mexico, any of you from here? My english is not very fluent.

Does any of you take remeron 30 mg? What´s your experience?

Lilian
Proud mom to Anna Sofia (4 yo, and baby Federico 4 months)
#3 of 8 Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 PM

Having had previous bouts of depression predisposes you to ppd, and in fact, According to the authors of "Women's Moods" nearly all women dx'ed with PPD have had depressive episodes, of a sort, although they may have been undx'ed. That said, whether you have ppd or regular depression mainly depends on when you first exhibited depressive signs, although I've heard it can start anytime before they are 2, or are weaned, whichever is later.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#4 of 8 Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 AM

IIRC, the DSM (the diagnostic tool used for psychiatric conditions in the West) doesn't have a "postpartum depression" entry, just depression (actually, Major Depressive Disorder). PPD is considered "regular" depression, but with postpartum onset (characterized as being within 12 months of the birth). Like regular depression, it will manifest differently in different people, have aspects of anxiety, panic, or obsessive/compulsive behaviors, and respond to different forms of treatment. It is known that women with previous bouts of depression are more likely to experience depression postpartum. It's really just depression, triggered by and occuring within a year of birth.

Lilian--I don't think Remeron is prescribed much in the U.S. SSRIs are preferred as the first line of pharmaceutical treatment here. I was told that side effects tend to be a bit more severe with Remeron (paritcularly as it relates to kidney & liver function), although it can be effective for many people
#5 of 8 Old 06-29-2005, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

WOW- Kaydee you really did your research. I should fire my doc and hire you! Thanks for the info.
#6 of 8 Old 06-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celia
WOW- Kaydee you really did your research. I should fire my doc and hire you! Thanks for the info.

I've had the experience of being both a mental health patient and a provider! Glad the info was helpful.
#7 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Bueno Celia,
yo escribo espanol,
soy chicano.

pues estoy aqui, no soy mama, pero
un persona en el mundo que ha pasado por
problemas mental, y ya estoy mejor sin
medicinas.

Creo que hay algunas cosas que la va a
ayudar, que no son medicina. Una de
las cosas es dormir. Si tienes problemas
en durmiendo, esto puede ser uno de los
mayores problemas, porque sin dormir,
el cerebro no va a recuperar por todo de
lo que ha pasado durante el dia. Y puede
entrar en delusiones sin propio recuperacion.
Tambien el cuerpo necesita recuperacion.

El segundo, comer comida que es fresco,
y organico. Hay tanto que ponen en
la comida estos dias, desde hormones
en las carnes, hasta preservativos en todo
en paquete. Si puede comer mas de fresco, mas de organico,
mas verdura, pueda accelerar tu salud.

Tercero, encontrar comida buena para la mente.
Hay muchos libros sobre paz, del shamanismo, del Buddhismo, del
Christianismo, de muchos religiones del mundo, y muchos
que no hablan sobre religion, pero solo son observaciones de
mucha gente en el mundo, muchos que han pasado su mismo
por problemas muy graves de las salud, incluyendo la mente.

Y cuatro, quitar mucho ruido, television, radio ... y ir a lugares
de tranquilidad. Para mi, yo tambien me puse en meditacion, y
en esto, encontre que bien era el silencio, y mis pensamientos,
mi personalidad. Lo tremendo fue en tener confidente con mi
mismo y no necesitar cosas de afuera.

4 pazos, en orden de necesidad.

Ojala que la ha ayudaba !
Refugio
#8 of 8 Old 07-11-2005, 05:32 PM

Dear Kaydee:

I´m very worry about taking the REMERON now, since I have been searching on the net to try figure out how can I be able to wean off this med, and have not find much information (The only side effect I have notice is gain weight :, a lot of sleep, and no sex drive ). I have an appointment with my pschiarist today and will ask about it, maybe she´ll switch me to another med, or maybe lower my dosage, I´ve been very well the past two weeks, since my last period on June 26 (my first "decent" period since Baby was born on Feb.18), maybe hormones are stabilizing (I hope), but I now it is too soon to get ride off this PPD. sorry for my bad english, and thanks a lot for your support.

Big hughs
Lilian. Proud mom to Annasofia and Baby Federico and married to Wonderfull Eric.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page