Estrogen patch for ppd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2005, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used estrogen or know anything about it for ppd. I have heard it helps. But I don't know much about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 PM

I was wondering that ever since the Tom Cruise thing, lets not get on that one but why give depression meds if its truly a hormonal crash?
The logical treatment would be estrogen and i might think it would help, I went on depoprovera - progesterone after this pregnancy as I was having surgery and couldn't get pregnant.

Wow having too much progesterone really sucks.
I have no libido and wondered why until I read that they chemically castrate criminals with the same drug...

8 might be enough
Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 PM

I read about a study being done by a doctor at a hospital in western MA on the treatment of depression using either progeterone or estrogen, depending on the type of depression (anxiety or lethargy). The progesterone was used for anxiety forms(I cant remember how it was administered - rubbing cream on the belly maybe? - and I cant remember if wild yam cream was looked at as well). I found this very interesting as I have chronic low estrogen, needed clomid to concieve, and then felt the best Ive ever felt in my life being pregnant. I have the lethargy type of depression so it would make sense that the high levels of estrogen would boost my mood. Howvever, low estrogen and nursing go hand in hand - if you increase estrogen your milk dries up, soooo I have not yet pursued this treatment as I have either been trying to get pregnant or been pregnant or been nursing for the past 4+years, during which time I read the article. But to make a long story short, yes, estrogen could certainly be a viable treatment if you are not nursing.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 07-30-2005, 06:40 AM

When I had my PPD (and I was suicidal...not homicidal but soooo depressed that I can't hardly remember the pp period) I BEGGED doctors to shoot me full of hormones. I remember specifically saying, "can't you just pump me full of something and make this STOP?!" It was DEFINITELY hormones. Because as quickly as the PPD came, it disappeared...

I am going to ask for estrogen therapy after our next child. Definitely. I'll shop around for an OB who will give it to me. I was ON Zoloft when I had the baby and I STILL got PPD!!!

User Tag List