Hypothyroidism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been trying to figure out if I have PPD.

However, meanwhile I have had two blood tests that indicate I actually have hypothryoidism. I just found out the results of my 2nd lab test today and have yet to meet with my doctor.

So now I'm on a quest to find out more about:
* PPD and hypothryroidism
* Hypothryoidism and breastfeeding
* Safe, effective, natural treatment for hypothyroidism while breastfeeding

Does anyone here have experience with this and/or know of some good links?

Thanks,
Kristin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Banned

I have hypothyroidism. Synthroid is the most commonly prescribed med and perfectly safe to use while bfeeding. Amour thyroid is more natural but not as often prescribed, not sure why.

try this website for more info

http://www.thyroid-info.com/
#3 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 04:17 AM

I have hypothyroidism too, and it can definitely cause depression. I was untreated for several years, and I was an absolute mess! Synthroid is fine while you are breastfeeding because it is just a synthetic version of T4, which is already present in your body. (Your baby produces it too!) If you want something more "natural" you might look into adding seaweed to your diet (you can get it in a supplement).
#4 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 10:25 AM

I actually went to the dr and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism because of my emotions...I was feeling out of control, angry, and depressed. I thought I had PPD, but it turns out it was the thyroid. Once I was on synthroid, I felt soooo much better. That was nine months ago, and I'm still BF and am 21 weeks pg.
#5 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Armor thyroid is still around and is not synthetic is not expensive and covers the bases better also has T3 as well as T4.
you probably need to also supplment with some sub-lingual( absorbs under the tongue) B vitamins as well because low thyroid reduces the intrinsic factors that help absorb B vitamins from food-- and b vitamins have a great deal to do with your nerves and depression
#6 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Princess
I have hypothyroidism too, and it can definitely cause depression. I was untreated for several years, and I was an absolute mess! Synthroid is fine while you are breastfeeding because it is just a synthetic version of T4, which is already present in your body. (Your baby produces it too!) If you want something more "natural" you might look into adding seaweed to your diet (you can get it in a supplement).
Isnt' seaweed a source for iodine? While iodine may help thyroid issues, it wont' replace lsot thyroid hormones.

I am also hypothyroid - and have a goiter. Hypothryoid has numerous nasty side effects, lack of energy, depression, etc. It's no fun, but easy to get back on track.
#7 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 05:13 PM

The thyroid is a nasty persnickety little thing, isn't it? Don't be afraid of the meds, as far as Rx's go, they're very safe and effective. Most of the side effects have to do with improper dosing, not the medication itself. I was on a Synthroid generic for a while and it didn't too much for me. I absolutely love Armour. It can be hard to get a doctor to prescribe, something to do with a scare several years back about it not having consistent amounts in the tablets, but I don't think that's been a problem for a long time. I think about.thyroid.com has a list of "Top Docs" who are known for dealing well with thyroid issues. I also recommend Mary Shomon's book, Living Well with Hypothyroidism.

I think dietary supplements are a good idea if you might be deficient in things, but I'd be careful about kelp/iodine. If yours is autoimmune, excessive iodine could trigger a reaction and make you feel even worse.
#8 of 8 Old 07-28-2005, 02:55 AM

My wife has hypothyroidism and has been feeling a bit like she might have PPD these last few days. Either that or her synthroid needs to be tweaked.

Be careful- she had an undiagnosed low thyroid function and a Dr. put her on a series of anti-depressant, each of which resulted in some weight gain, which made her more depressed, and on and on. She's still trying to get it off.

I guess what I'm saying is get a blood test for thyroid function first.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page