Eating your Placenta to prevent PPD... - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 456 Old 08-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would be concerned about using a placenta that had been frozen for that long. It would all depend on how it had been stored (at the bottom of the deep freezer as opposed to the door of a regular freezer, etc.), if it was double bagged in freezer bags, if it has any discoloration or freezer burn, etc.
I would definately look into it though bcs if it is safe than the placenta is so amazing. I have some dried, powdered placenta double bagged in the bottom of my deep freeze for menopause.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#422 of 456 Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 PM

Just subing, 8 weeks pregnant!
#423 of 456 Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 AM

I don't think I could do it. I have read about deer placenta being used in Chinese medicine, and for some reason that grosses me out less *shrugs*

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#424 of 456 Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM

I encapsulated my placenta after my second child and I had no PPD or baby blues. I felt really great after ds2s birth unlike with my first. I recommend it.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#425 of 456 Old 04-27-2011, 08:27 AM

BUMP

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#426 of 456 Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 AM

My doula took my placenta home from the hospital in a cooler after my daughter's birth, dried it, encapsulated it, and returned it to me in pill form two days later.  I'm very sensitive to hormonal changes and depression, but I had no depression to speak of after her birth and taking the capsules. I took them for a little over a month postpartum and I still have about half saved in my freezer for menopause.  My doula charged $250 for the service.   

Kelly: Mama to a spunky, joy-filled DD kid.gif(10/04/10), and a loving wife to a music-making DH broc1.gif (07/14/07) We fly-by-nursing1.gifand familybed1.gif, and are just starting to TTC#2 dust.gifhh2.gif

#427 of 456 Old 05-14-2011, 06:51 PM

I had a home birth and had planned already to encapsulate the placenta with the help of my doula.  During the birth I bleed, a LOT.  It was a tough birth and it took a lot of work to stop the bleeding (two or three shots of pit., homeopathics, herbs, etc.).  While I was laid out on the floor, unable to stand up, my midwife made a smoothy with a bit of placenta in it.  I really think that it helped in getting me stable and not need to transport to the hospital (I still got iv fluids but I got to stay at home).  I hadn't intended to eat any that way, but I was glad that there was the option.  I think it I wasn't in shock, I couldn't have taken it raw like that, but in the moment it didn't matter to me if it would help. 

After that the placenta was dried in our oven and my DH ground it into capsules which he was diligent about making sure that I took.  We had a rough birth and a very rough first few months.  I think that it would have been really ripe ground for triggering ppd, which we have strong family history of.  But I was really fine.  A bit of emotional ups and downs, but more due to sleep issues, I think.  So, I am a very strong supporter of using the placenta.  I stopped taking it around 6 months, probably, but kept the rest of the capsules in the freezer just in case.

Another thing that my doula did was make homeopathic tinctures from the placenta and the cord.  These were made mostly for my baby to use throughout childhood, though, but might also be helpful for mamas.  We haven't really used them much, though.  So I can't report on how useful it is.  

#428 of 456 Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Fourth birth. I had a history of depression, anxiety and PPD and had a planned cesarean. Originally the hospital told me they needed to keep my placenta for one week before I was "legally" allowed to take it however this was quickly taken care of by a call to the administrator. I had put together a placenta packet with directions and capsules for my MIL who took the placenta from the hospital and prepared it for me TCM style. I took several capsules a day and tapered off saving a dozen or so pills for unforeseen future needs. I still occasionally take one when I need an energy and emotional boost. I have about an ounce of raw placenta in the freezer which I plan to make into a homeopathic remedy. I had a very positive experience. I healed faster, had more energy and did not feel emotionally unstable at all.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#429 of 456 Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM

i ate about 1/3 of my daughter's placenta raw, in smoothies. i am a vegan too, so pretty squicky about raw meat in general, and it really wasn't so bad to clean and chop off the nice clean bits. i wasn't able to get through the whole thing (too many fiber-y and membrane-y bits) but the taste was not unpleasant at all. i made mine with strawberry, banana and coconut milk. use the most heavy duty blender you have so there aren't any stray "bits." i put the remainder of the uneaten placenta in the freezer and added the rest to smoothies over a week or so.

i was depressed and stressed during pregnancy (moving, job issues etc) and had a fairly traumatic post-birth experience (dd in the NICU and then major breastfeeding issues) and i felt like i fairly flew through the newborn months. difficult, yes, sleep deprived, a little, but i was still very much the happiest and most content i've ever been. i really don't know if i should credit the placenta with that, but it will be a pretty much a non-negotiable part of my post-birth routine next time. 

as for encapsulation, i'm not sure i agree with the reasoning behind it. not sure that the dehydrating process and keeping the pills for months will preserve the hormones intact. if the placental hormones are really crucial to maintaining emotional balance and warding off PPD, it also makes more sense that you need a bigger hit of them back in your body right away, not a smaller amount spaced out over days and weeks. 

#430 of 456 Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 PM

haven't had a chance to read through all the replys but just wanted to post and say I'm drinking a placenta smoothie right now! My sister prepared it for me by cutting it into ice cube sized pieces and freezing it. I have been drinking a smoothie each day (made by my sister or my dh) and it doesn't seem gross at all. there is no identifying taste or texture to contend with. Definitely feels like powerful, magical medicine to me. So far so good with ppd. i'm only 7 days postpartum and have had some weepy, blue moments but they don't last long and drinking a smoothie seems to help.

#431 of 456 Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 PM

One of the doula's that works with me at the local Pregnacy and Parenting Health Centre runs a business doing placenta encapsulation in my City http://www.placentasask.com/ she has some good info that can help and resources to classes you can take to be able to provide this service to others. 

#432 of 456 Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Currently consuming my placenta smoothie style.  I had my babe on Sunday and finally started turning it into smoothies today, we'll see how I feel tomorrow.  I am using the same recipe someone posted on this thread recently.  Half a can of coconut milk, a few frozen strawberries, 3/4 of a banana and a 1/4 of my placenta.  I can't taste it at all, but it is a lot bloodier than I expected.  Don't think about it too much when you drink it.  lol.gif  I was also thinking about adding some kale for something green in it, but don't know if MIL will make it to the store tomorrow for me or not.  My dh was very kind to prepare it for me, cut it in slices and then into chunks, but he wanted to eat dinner first just in case.lol.gif  love.gif Love that man and how he embraces all my wierdness.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#433 of 456 Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM

I love when this thread gets unburried. I am looking forward to placenta smoothies again (due in about six weeks). This will be the 4 time that I have had my placenta and it is all posted on this thread, amazing how long this thread has been around.

My smoothies were never bloody tasting or in appearance. Did your dh get it washed off really well? I always add plenty of strawberries too and I think that helps.

The bennefits are so amazing that I just can't say enough good things about it! Having my uterus back to pre pregnancy size by 5 days (meaning the bleeding stopped then as well) was definately one of the many many plusses.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#434 of 456 Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

I love when this thread gets unburried. I am looking forward to placenta smoothies again (due in about six weeks). This will be the 4 time that I have had my placenta and it is all posted on this thread, amazing how long this thread has been around.

My smoothies were never bloody tasting or in appearance. Did your dh get it washed off really well? I always add plenty of strawberries too and I think that helps.

The bennefits are so amazing that I just can't say enough good things about it! Having my uterus back to pre pregnancy size by 5 days (meaning the bleeding stopped then as well) was definately one of the many many plusses.

He washed it before he cut it up.  Should he have washed the chunks after cutting them up too?  Its still not bad, but I think MIL cringes everytime she sees them.lol.gif  Oh the crunchiness I bring into this family.orngtongue.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#435 of 456 Old 09-16-2011, 05:19 PM

I have a friend that is a holistic nutritionist focusing on raw veganism.... in the world of raw food it is anything that isn't heated over 170 degrees F, so slow dried still conserves the enzymes and life force that would be otherwise killed if heated. So I'd be against cooking the placenta as it would kill off its power and life. So drying and grinding is the way to go to preserve it for future use otherwise use it fresh. I have a vitamix blender which can liquify anything, so i may try a homemade V8 juice, so any bloodiness would be masked by the tomato. I'm not due for a long time yet but I'm excited about all the neat natural methods I've discovered. Elimination Communication- diaper free infant toileting is another cool unknown I will explore!

#436 of 456 Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 AM

I'm very intrigued by this after experiencing some PPD with a prior pregnancy -- can anyone point me to the studies that explain how this works?

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

#437 of 456 Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM

There are very few studies done on this. I would contact Jodi at placenta benefits info as I know she has done a few.

#438 of 456 Old 11-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Just wanted to chime in... I am my wife's husband and was (just barely) able to fill our birthing tub when she told me "i'm ready!" . 48 minutes later we had a beautiful boy and our midwife and doula congratulating us. It may sound gross but (elated with joy and 2 shots of rum in me) I had to partake in some bits of placenta floating in the tub. I know, disgusting, right? Not so much. Anyone who has eaten sushi or even raw meat from a fresh kill knows what I am talking about. Very good and energizing. We still have the rest in our freezer and someday will plant a tree or some-such but anyone with any qualms I would like to dispel them. Tasty yummy.gif

#439 of 456 Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM

What we did:

Saved a piece of th placenta for smoothies

the rest was stripped of membranes, cut, steamed, and dried, then encapsulated

We used the smoothies for about 4 days postpartum. They were extremely potent at first, and a mix of about 1-2 cubic inches of placenta plus frozen mxed cherries, blackberries and blueberries plus yogurt and/or organic valley egg nog plus raw honey was actually quite tasty.

For the smoothies, the placenta needed to be blended with the liquids very well before adding the frozen fruit. (I'm allergic to strawberries and bananas, so we used other fruits.) This is gory, according to my 18 year old, who mixed most. 

the smoothies were amazing for the first 3 days postpartum, but in the future I would not use them past that point. They weren't bad, they were just less effective than the capsules by day 4. 

Immediate results: If I was starting to get weepy, the weepies stopped within moments of sipping the smoothie. My after pains got stronger, and my bleeding to less, within an hour. 

My milk came in about 56 hours after the birth... which is pretty good when you consider I had a pitocin induction and epidural and a HUGE amount of IV fluid excess.

The placenta capsules have kept me on an even keel since. I take two every night, plus two extra if I'm feeling overly weepy at other times of day. Baby's been nursing and sleeping well.

I've had a tremendous amount of postpartum support, and I cannot overstate the helpfulness of this, but it alone would not have been 'enough' and I'm very glad I used placenta medicine. I'm 3 weeks postpartum now, and doing better than I did with either of my girls by a huge margin. Huge. I'm still taking placenta every day and I think I have enough for another week's worth. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#440 of 456 Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM

I am yet to find any  scientific peer reviewed studies confirming this believe that somehow placenta would work for PPD.

I think it is total placebo effect and not even good one. People post personal anecdote of susses on line but it seems people for whom it did not work share it more off line. Perhaps a embarrassment of spending $ 250 on the modern equivalent of blood letting.

I do not see how even theoretically this would work. Biochemically speaking.  All the  spouting about hormones does not count as scientific info.

So, would anyone post an actually randomized double blind peer review study that proves that placenta capsules  works for PPD

Tricks4Kids likes this.
#441 of 456 Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Alenushka: this might not be what you are looking for but there is definately some good info.

I have done it 4 times and the results were amazing! If it is just a placebo affect so be it, well worth it to me. I don't see how that is possible though as I had a huge milk supply, my uterus shrunk back to noraml size within 5 days, etc.

#442 of 456 Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Such a study does not exist and is unlikely to, as there is no way to really do a blinded study on the matter. For me it is enough that I have seen far more people who have done it happy they did it, and very, very few stories of people who regretted it, if any. 

After two bouts of PPD without the placenta and one postpartum without that miasma when I consumed the placenta, if it's the placebo effect, sign me the hell up, because PPD SUCKS and postpartum without depression is worth taking the chance. 

Is it for everyone? Probably not. But there's no harm in it, and I can tell you I felt a difference very, very fast. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#443 of 456 Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM

Oh, and it's only $250 if you hire it done. My midwife helped my sister prep the thing for me for free, and we already had a steamer and a food dehydrator and a blender. Midwife had an encapsulator, but that's a luxury, not a necessity, and we bought the empty capsules. I've spent far more money on vitamins over the course of a pregnancy.

#444 of 456 Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM

my DD is 7 weeks old, and i still have my placenta in the freezer. I'm planning on doing this in a week or so, is that too late do you all think? I had to wait until i had the $$ to buy the capsules! 

-The Craftaholic
http://www.thecraftaholic.com

--------------------------------------------------------
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
Jalal ad-Din Rumi

#445 of 456 Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 AM

I did this and had zero PPD! I think it really helped... When i forgot to take it i would feel a little down but then i would remember and feel better. DH was amazing and did all the work for me. We used a dehydrater and mortar and pestle to crush. I did help fill the capsules with a straw which wasnt too hard or time consuming.
#446 of 456 Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 PM

7 weeks isn't too late at all. That is about how old ds was when I did it for the first time.

If money or time is an issue thatn smoothies would work too.

Hope it works for you.

#447 of 456 Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM

My apologies if this answer already appears in the thread, but how after the birth does the placenta retain potency? Mine was encapsulated and have been in the freezer for nearly 3 years. I had to mostly stay away from them at first since we lived in an apt with mold and my allergies were always activated. The tonifying effect always tonified my allergies into a head cold. But now I am in a major depression and I'd like to use them perhaps...

...on another note, Raise Qi or Bu Zhong Yi Wan formula has been very helpful with exhaustion/depression...  

#448 of 456 Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 PM

if they have been in the freezer it won't harm you. I don't know anything about the potency.

I would recommend giving it a shot and seeing if it helps.

#449 of 456 Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 AM

I joined the facebook group called "Placenta Alchemy II" a while bag and they have excellent discussions & provide great resources on there. Definitely worth joining & checking out!

#450 of 456 Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM

I realize this is an old thread, and someone may have already mentioned this; apologies if so.

What about washing, drying, then freezing the placenta until just firm enough to cut up into pill size pieces, then freeze those and take them as if they were capsules; perhaps three times a day.  The dehydrator makes a lot of sense, but I was thinking of other options, since I do not own a dehydrator.

I thought of this after reading the book "Beautiful Babies" by Kristen Michaelis; her website is www.foodrenegade.com.  She mentions the freezing technique for eating liver if your tastebuds don't agree with the whole thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page