Eating your Placenta to prevent PPD... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myorganicbabies
This topic is really alarming. I would think twice before indulging in cannabalism. At least that what this sounds like to me. I understand that many animals do this after they give birth, but they also eat raw and wild food. Furthermore.....just eating it is a disturbing thought.
After all I've read about the american diet and eating meat and cattle....i hear this...a very strange subject. I would think REALLY CAREFUL before taking something like this seriously. Personally I would never do it. :
I wish people would educate themselves on these subjects before making such mean comments!! We eat raw food also, lots of raw veggies, ever heard of sushi? It is ok to eat your placenta, and actual good for you...it's got to be better than swallowing chemicals every day just to feel the urge to hold your babie(which is what I had to do with my third!!).

I also agree on the lack of resources, most moms that suffer from ppd don't have the means to equip themselves with lots of frozen dinners, or pp doulas, or time to themselves...this is where our community is failing families.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#62 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 08:12 PM

This has got to be some kind of joke! I could'nt agree more with taking alternative and natural routes to wellness but at the same time I see no reason to forego the benifits of modern research, knowledge and education. I believe that there is much to be gained from the lore of for instance ancient Asian medicine but we know a lot more about things these days and I see no more to be gained from us running around gobbling up our own afterbirth than I see in the practice of blood letting to remove "bad biles" from the body. It may be true that some otherwise vegetarian animals do this (although my extensive experience with domestic livestock has never revealed such a thing to me) I can't very well see how this relates to us since I have never encountered a predator roaming the halls of the birth centers. If it is irin you are worried about then why not go to your local health food store and pick up a bottle of Nature's Plus high potency chewables? I wonder if you all are aware of the practice of wild rabbits eating their own excrement to hide themselves from predators and to recycle nutrients? I am not being intentionally inflamatory here but I mean REALLY people! Think it over!
#63 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 PM

I have noticed something on this thread. Those that are against it keep repeating phrases similar to "do your research". Are any of you who are so against this doing YOUR research or are you just commenting based off your own reservations with something that occurs naturally within many species? Get over your gripes and do your own research before telling others to do the same.

Off my soapbox now.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#64 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 09:01 PM

I ate (some of) my placenta raw after my son was born 20 months ago. My midwife told us about how it might help prevent ppd, and my DH blended some up with juice since it seemed best to eat it raw. It wasn't the tastiest thing, but in retrospect I wish I'd downed more of it! It seems like many other animals eat it, and there must be some reason. I didn't exactly escape the depression, but who knows--maybe it would have been worse if I hadn't eaten it.
#65 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre
I have noticed something on this thread. Those that are against it keep repeating phrases similar to "do your research". Are any of you who are so against this doing YOUR research or are you just commenting based off your own reservations with something that occurs naturally within many species? Get over your gripes and do your own research before telling others to do the same.

Off my soapbox now.
Exactly!! And I hope you weren't saying this to me because I am a supporter!! I did use my placenta to prevent/minimize PPD!!
Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#66 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo
Exactly!! And I hope you weren't saying this to me because I am a supporter!! I did use my placenta to prevent/minimize PPD!!
Debi

Nope, not you! I was only menaing that towards those who are so disgusted with the very IDEA of it all. When I first was pregnant and planning a UC I didn't want to think about that....I had heard it could stop hemorraging. I never once expressed disgust over it though! I asked some questions and did some RESEARCH before forming an opinion! I don't want to come across as pretentious or anything but an opinion based on no research is not a worthy opinion, IMO. (:LOL at the number of "opinion"'s in there). I can't see a better way to help ward something off than by using my own body to do it! Bodies self heal all the time! Why would using your placenta not count towards that!?

Maybe I'm just grouchy today.........no, no I'm not...just irritated at the lack of respect for another person's decision to do what they feel is best for themselves. I say if you got the guts to do it and the courage to consider placenta eating as a preventative measure for any potential problems head on GO YOU!!!!

Give more**Expect Less
#67 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 09:54 PM

Cool...it is just so sad to me that women are suffering so much from ppd, and this is such an awsome "cure". I had a few down days, but never like what I experienced before, and I had it with all three kids, and it was progressively worse. I will forever be grateful to the woman that dried my placenta for me, I would hate to think of how it would have been without it.

#68 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 PM

Exactly! It helped! I don't see the point in expressing disgust over something that 1. has worked for some and 2. is something you have no experience with since you wouldn't consider it, yk? I'd eat something I grew over something concocted out of not so great things anyday, but thats just me.

I'm going to stop now, starting to feel a little too mean! :LOL

Give more**Expect Less
#69 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM

#70 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ummmmmmm, this thread is quite dear to my heart, so please don't make it a nasty-fest so the mods have to delete it. It has come back up "from the ashes" more than once, and I think it's very good to spread this information around, especially for women who suffer post-pardem depression. Placentas are our own medicines, if we will trust them.

To the people who post about placenta-eating in a negative way, please INFORM yourself before spouting off on this wonderful, powerful topic. Read some of the links provided.

Thank-you
~Jaz
#71 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama
Ummmmmmm, this thread is quite dear to my heart, so please don't make it a nasty-fest so the mods have to delete it. It has come back up "from the ashes" more than once, and I think it's very good to spread this information around, especially for women who suffer post-pardem depression. Placentas are our own medicines, if we will trust them.

To the people who post about placenta-eating in a negative way, please INFORM yourself before spouting off on this wonderful, powerful topic. Read some of the links provided.

Thank-you
~Jaz
That's why I stopped myself. Didn't want to be mean and get this shut down.

Give more**Expect Less
#72 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 PM

i bled quite heavily after my son was born, so i plan to eat some raw placenta right after i birth it to help with that.. im not sure if ill eat more after..dried, or not.. but im definitly okay with idea..!

as for folks saying that only carnivores eat their placentas, thats totally unfounded.. i know for a fact that sheep, cows goats eat their placentas (and probably most other grass eating creatures..)

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#73 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 11:32 PM

Just wanted to say i wasn't trying to make it a nasty fest either, this thread (or one like it)is what made me even think of doing this, and I think it very well could have saved my life. It just hurt's when people are being so cruel, it's like someone going on the breastfeeding forum and saying, eww...breastfeeding is gross, and we have such better technology now, so take the pills....I know it's not *exactly* like that, but this is how it feels to me.

#74 of 456 Old 09-20-2005, 11:57 PM

I remember awhile back in a different forum (TAO maybe?) there was a thread asking what do you do know that you always said "Those hippies will never get me to...."

The normal answers of breastfeeding, homebirth, waterbirth, un-attended birth, slinging, co-sleeping, EC, organic foods, and homeschooling were given. Then a poster said "eating my placenta" and I spewed my drink all over my computer screen. I thought "What the h*ll? People actually do that? Well, animals do that, I guess, but gross!"

Then today I read this thread and within the space of 30 minutes (I raced through those links!), I am committed to drying and encapsulating my placenta.

Damn you, MDC! Look what you've done to me! :LOL

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#75 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 12:38 AM

So DH and I were cooking dinner tonight. And I chose that moment (I warned him he might be grossed out at first :LOL ) to tell him about this thread and how it made me think that someday when we have a baby -- hopefully at home -- I will eat some of the placenta afterward to ward off the PPD that I fear. (I already struggle with depression...have since I was a kid.) I had heard of some women in other or past cultures doing so, but never thought I would see a discussion thread about it actually going on in the US in 2005! I'm totally open to the idea. I try to heal myself with natural/whole foods, with exercise, with fresh air. That there would be health benefits to eating the placenta just seems to follow a certain logic, IMO. Anyway, it can't hurt. My own "meat" MUST be healthier to me than a fish's or cow's or chicken's, kwim?

DH was absolutely supportive of the concept, btw! He's so awesome!
#76 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 AM

Oy! To each his/her own. I'm better off taking an rx for ppd!!!
#77 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh
.....within the space of 30 minutes (I raced through those links!), I am committed to drying and encapsulating my placenta.

hehe. We will overthrow the mainstream ...........mwhahahaha

And to mamamoo and OtherMother'n'Madre, I didn't want you to think that this was directed at you... I could see by your posts that you were not making it bad, I was just warning those that were lurking, thinking this would be a good place to pick a fight.

I wanna keep it posative, it's not an opinion poll, either.

:
#78 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 AM

I've read a few threads on this topic, and felt that I should reply to one by now!

The first time I read about lotus birth and eating the placenta, I'll admit I was grossed out. But, much like pps have said (Niamh - me too!!) - once I started educating myself about it, I started considering it for myself!! I even told my dh, and his initial reaction was negative, but when I described my reasons he was definitely in support.

The thing is, IMHO it's important to keep an open mind, and to realize that the most important thing is to trust ourselves and our bodies. Do what feels right to you and you'll be doing well. Try not to pass judgement on others, based on what feels right to you. You do not know what will be right for them. Does it really hurt you for someone to do this or not, even if you will/won't? Oh, I am SOOOO deep. :LOL

Any one know of someone around LA who prepares it for you?
#79 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorganicbabies
I understand that many animals do this after they give birth, but they also eat raw and wild food.
This statement has been bugging me all night, so I had to address it.

Are we as a...well, I don't know where the poster is from, so I can't say 'country'...So, are we as a 'people' really so far removed from what we really are that we don't realize WE eat raw and wild food?

The way the poster said this equated eating 'raw and wild food' with 'placenta'.

'Raw and wild food' is lettuce, peppers, squash, apples, pineapple,and on and on. It's meat and veggies and fruit and grains. IT"S WHAT WE INGEST TO SURVIVE! Unless you eat a diet completely made up of chemically made foods (which, come to think of it, may not be that hard) then YOU eat raw and wild food.

Eating the placenta is what every mammal does after birth. It's not something any of these women plan on doing on a regular basis, it's what they plan on doing as part of the natural order of things.

-Niamh
proud eater of 'raw and wild' foods

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#80 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 04:14 PM

:

#81 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh
I remember awhile back in a different forum (TAO maybe?) there was a thread asking what do you do know that you always said "Those hippies will never get me to...."

The normal answers of breastfeeding, homebirth, waterbirth, un-attended birth, slinging, co-sleeping, EC, organic foods, and homeschooling were given. Then a poster said "eating my placenta" and I spewed my drink all over my computer screen. I thought "What the h*ll? People actually do that? Well, animals do that, I guess, but gross!"

Then today I read this thread and within the space of 30 minutes (I raced through those links!), I am committed to drying and encapsulating my placenta.

My story almost to a T!!!!! I dried and encapsulated Lily's placenta and it was really cool. It helped so much to have my dh help me. He did all the encapsulating, actually. I hope when I'm a doula someday that I can help others w/ this (and doing placenta prints which was amazing too!!). The only thing I regret is buying the HUGE pill maker instead of the smaller one. I went w/ what was on sale, and boy, it's hard to swallow horse pills!!! We only filled about 50 or so, and I have the rest of the dry stuff in the freezer, although it's been in and out of one several times during our move. Even spent a couple months in the trunk of our car! haha!! But it still looks fine so I'm keeping it. Gonna tote it around w/ my forever so I can use it for menopause. Anyone know if it has any effectiveness left after being so poorly stored??? I'm afraid it's useless now, but can't be harmful, I don't think. It's not moldy or anything. Just looks like dirt, actually!

I'm so proud of my dh for being so open to all my lovely weirdness!!
#82 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 PM
ltk

Oh AmyDawn, I SO agree with you. I am sorry, I know I came to this page of my own volition, but there is something rather vile about eating your own placenta. I would rather take AD's advice and hope for the best. Having seen a human placenta, I say NO THANKS...but blessings to those who can "stomach" this!
#83 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 PM

I think the offensive term here, for those who are expressing offense, is "eating." The only people I know of who consider popping a pill to be eating are the Jetsons.
#84 of 456 Old 09-21-2005, 11:11 PM

I think that what it all boils down to here is that those of us who are consuming (NOT eating, in my case at least!) our placentas postpartum have our own reasons for doing it, and are not doing it to be deliberately gross, or counter-culture, or hippies, or whatever. We have heard that it can help stave off some pretty tough symptoms (some of us have learned the hard way), and we are willing to try it.

I understand the disgust, but please try to understand that. It's not just "weirdness for weirdness' sake".
#85 of 456 Old 09-22-2005, 12:28 AM

No kidding, and what is the point of coming here and saying how gross it is? This thread has some really good information about how to prepare placenta to ward off PPD. If you couldn't/wouldn't to it, and think it's disgusting, what is the point of posting that here? This is a true preventative treatment for ppd, why treat it any other way?
Debi

#86 of 456 Old 09-22-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamamoo. Really, I don't get it. Why are all these "new members" feeling like their negative opinion on placenta-consuming has to be spouted on an obviously PRO-PLACENTA-USING thread.: Do they want to stop women from trying to treat themselves for PPD, without the use of health-damaging prescriptions? Why? It's not harming anyone if some women choose to do this. It should be honored that women are literally taking back our bodies. Eating a placenta is not cannabalism because nothing had to die to produce it. It is a by-product of life.

If you want to have a debate about this subject, please go start another thread somewhere else, becasue this thread is dedicated to the posative aspects of treating PPD with our placentas.

Peace,
~Jaz
#87 of 456 Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 AM

An anecdote....
One of my MWs was telling me that she was a doula to a woman who had had to take some medication immediately post-partum. The medication was estrogen or somthing, and it had the foreseeable and immediate effect of causing her milk to completely dry-up, which the mother's obstetrician completely failed to mention to her before she took the medication.

Fortunately, the mother had saved her placenta. So, my MW cooked it for her, and the family ate it for dinner on Day 2 (after birth) with spaghetti noodles. I asked my MW...didn't they hesitate to eat it? She said that the mother knew that it was the only way to get her milk back in and fast. I said.. did it work? She said: Oh, yes. Very well.

Personally, I have difficulty imagining that I could eat my placenta raw because I have no experience with raw red meat, not even to prepare it for cooking. I do however eat cooked red meat... so I think that I could eat my placenta cooked (provided that someone were to cook it for me).

I had my most recent placenta encapsulated (see my post above)... I've been very fortunate to be able to take it. I'm now 3 months postpartum, and I have taken 2-3 capsules daily. This third post-partum period has been my best. I truly believe that the placenta capsules helped me.

I think it would be very helpful if someone could post directions on dehydrating and encapsulating ones own placenta for use during the postpartum period.

I was considering saving some of my capsules for some time in the future when I or my children were sick. However, I worry that the capsules will go bad if I were to try to save them. Most likely, they would get wet and moldy. I think that I am better off using them up now. I can keep myself healthy during this difficult post-partum period.

-- Caitlin, who is very sleepy
#88 of 456 Old 09-22-2005, 05:19 AM

Thank you ladies, all of you, so much for this informative and beautiful discussion.

I don't understand how anyone could view this practice negatively. It's completely natural, and quite common in nature. For a reason. Nature is efficient. It doesn't waste.

May just be yet another symptom of a culture that tells us female bodies and everything they do/produce is 'icky' and needs to be sterilized (re: masculinized) in order to be 'modern' or 'civilized'.

Shame, that. Everything about the female body is incredible. To turn women against themselves in such a way is surely one of the biggest travesties of 'civilization'. They're trying to turn us into fembots. Let's not let them.

Anywho, I'll either be eating a raw chunk or making a smoothie with mine (and certainly finding a constructive use for the rest!)...thanks to the intelligent and well-researched findings of the brave and powerful women here.

Thanks again mamis, you rock!
#89 of 456 Old 09-22-2005, 11:51 AM

OK, this is just a stupid thought that came to me...take it as comedy and nothing else...

But picking your nose and eating it isn't cannibalism, is it? All our kids would be sickos, no?

Anyway, here's a link that was I think was posted before on this thread for preparing placentas:
http://www.geocities.com/virtualbirth/placenta.html
I'm sure there are more if you google...

But I think the simplest way to break it down is this, at the bare minimum:
1. Slice the placenta into strips
2. Either freeze raw or dehydrate it (I plan to do 1/2 and 1/2) at no more than 108 degrees (though my oven only goes down to 200, and i don't have a dehydrator) until completely dry
3. Grind the dehydrated pieces into a powder and put into gelcaps
4. Consume the raw pieces according to your preference (smoothie sounds good to me...you can put all sorts of stuff in a smoothie that will be disguised by fruit and honey, etc.).
5. Take 3 gelcaps per day. Don't know how much you'd do raw...

There are of course different opinions on whether to steam or cook the placenta before dehydrating it, but from what I can gather, the point is to have as much raw hormone available to you as possible.

Am I right about that? Anyway, the steps above are what I plan to do...any minute now...i had a little labor the other night that ended by morning...grrr...
#90 of 456 Old 09-22-2005, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I just want to add that there is plenty of helpful links on the first page of this thread. What I did with my placenta is I prepared it in the traditional chinese medicine way, then I froze the powder, then I never have to worry about it going bad. Just a thought to those that would like to keep their "placenta powder" indefinately. Mine is still in my freezer now. I was forunate enough to *NOT* get PPD at all after my DD was born, so I didn't use the placenta like I thought I would.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page