Eating your Placenta to prevent PPD... - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 456 Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think since PPD can hit anytime in the first year that longterm consumption would be a better idea than immediate consumption, but I don't know... that is my personal opinion more than anything. Eating it right away would ensure you don't hemmorhage.

As for easing DHs into the thought of the placenta thing... after having severe PPD (hearing voices, etc.) I told my DH that I would do ANYTHING at all to avoid it, eat it raw, you name it - so placenta capsules seemed pretty simple/easy. He seemed to agree .

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 456 Old 09-05-2006, 10:37 AM

I immediately had two bites & I think that helped immensely in the beginning. I should have encapsulated the rest to have for the first year. So, I, personally think some combo would be most effective.
#183 of 456 Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk_maker
I made it through all nine pages! *pats self on back* I've been interested in eating the placenta since I found out I was pregnant.

Which would be more effective: immediate consumption or long term consumption?

Part of me is kind of leaning towards a more immediate consumption of the placenta just because that's how it occurs in nature. However, I had pretty bad PPD with DS and circumstances in my life at the moment are stressful (preparing to move halfway across the world, husband deployed, etc...) so I don't know if it would be better to do the whole capsules thing.

Agh, confuzzling!
I also think that immediate consumption is more physiological.
I have concerns about long term consumption affecting milk supply- or return of post partum menses. I don't know if my concerns are founded though. I just don't think supplementing with hormones is all that good of an idea.

Maybe eat half and make a tincture of the rest. The tincture will keep for years and you will have it if you think you need it.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#184 of 456 Old 09-05-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid
I'm a total meatitarian (sorry, no offence I hope to vegi folks) but I don't think I could handle it any other way than capsules.

Now, how to ease DH into the idea of it...
I thought mine was really appealing. It smelled like the most appetizing meat I have EVER smelled. I didn't expect that either. I just opened the ziploc container and sniffed and wanted to eat it raw right then and there. You might be suprised.
My DH lightened up when I told him that every mammal eats their placenta. He just thought it was normal after that.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#185 of 456 Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 AM

am i glad to find this thread!

i had my placenta raw few hours after i gave birth to DS. i had it with nama shoyu and ginger. to my surprise, it had NO funk at all! (i was expecting some gamy taste.) tasted better than sushi! LOL!

i had my DP slice it for me... poor DP, he was gagging the whole time he was preparing it for me (he told me months later). DP is not good at blood at all!

next day, i cooked the rest of it with onions, garlic, ginger, and shoyu. it was like cooking liver.
IMO, i prefer raw. maybe because it was fresh, it tasted so good....

i thought about dehydrating and all, but it seemed too much for me after real baby is in my arms...

my mom is grossed out about it. i tried to explain to her the benefit of it and how in some culture it is traditionally eaten. she still wouldn't listen. but thats ok. i did it. and i had no ppd, recovered very quickly, no problem with breast feeding. i don't know if its all from eating placenta, but if i have more baby, i would do it again.

p.s. next time i will have it with brown rice
#186 of 456 Old 09-06-2006, 12:26 PM

ok, so i have a prep question...
i'm planning on trying to eat a bit raw and then cutting up the rest into little chunks to freeze and add to my morning smoothies for as long as it lasts. what do i need to know about cleaning the placenta? i just need to cut off the cord and any of the sac that is still attached, right?

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#187 of 456 Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 PM

It's funny how one's perception of things evolves. I remember in university, a wonderful earth mama type who home-birthed and saved her placenta to grow a tree. I thought it was SO strange (but fasinating) at the time. That was 9 years ago. Now I'm turning into an 'earth mama' and all of her wisdom is coming full circle.

It's the same with the whole placenta ingestion. The first time I heard of it, I was genuinely repulsed. The more I read, the more it intriqued me. I had my first child and while I didn't use the placenta I thought it was sooooo interesting---I had my doctor do a show and tell for me. Now I'm pregnant with my second child (and my first homebirth!) and I'm considering using the placenta in a more beneficial way. I'm not certain if I will end up capsulating it or not but I'm glad I have the knowledge to make that choice. I know that if I have any hemmoraging problems my DH will be breaking out the blender!

Stacy
#188 of 456 Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 PM

It is interesting Stacy, I had the same weirding out reaction (but again, facination) when my friend mentioned encapsulating it... and now I have a bag of my own capsules in my kitchen AND I paid someone to do that for me . Funny how that goes.

I typically bleed for 13w plus after having babies - heavily - and so far taking the capsules has really lessened it - still bleeding dark blood, but not like normal. I also haven't lost my hair like normal, nor has my baby (yet).

As for prep Clover - you do want to remove the cord and as much sac as you can... but it's not a huge deal.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#189 of 456 Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 PM

Preparing the placenta can be very um....magical actually. Your intention of creating something so beneficial and powerful is a very energizing experience for someone who treats preparation justas sacred as consumption...or so I've read

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#190 of 456 Old 09-09-2006, 01:37 AM

I am just so in awe of all of you! If I am ever lucky enough to be able to get pregnant again, this is going to be something I'll be doing (if i can get dh past his initial horrified reacton ) My first birth was so traumatic for me, homebirth transported-turned into cs with my milk coming in almost 6 days later. Maybe focusing on something so healing and powerful like this will help me deal with those left-over feelings of helplessness and inadequacy.

Thanks for opening my eyes!

Kristen
#191 of 456 Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 AM

I just wanted to chime in with my experience.

My birth was long and natural and exhausting, but ecstatic and empowering all at the same time. I initially had no problem with mood and was on cloud 9 with my baby and dh.

As the months wore on, I gradually became more and more exhausted due to sleep issues (to put it mildly) with ds and the fact that he is so high needs. By the time ds was 18 months, I was practically having a nervous breakdown. I think I was having a delayed ppd - finally reached my breaking point at a year and a half pp. I was nearly psychotic at day 25-28 of my cycle and I have never had pms in my life.

I went to a naturopath who suggested some herbs and some progesterone cream for days 14-28 of my cycle (ps -pp af returned at one year). I tried it for 2 months. Month one was like magic. I had immediate good response and was completely myself, energy up, etc... but the next month - still a little better, but not great. Month 3 - pretty dismal.

I took my placenta out of the freezer, sliced it up and dried it slow in the oven. I ground it with a coffee bean grinder and took some of the powder (about 1/2 tsp) and mixed it with a 1/2 tsp of honey and gulped it down.

I felt better within hours, and continue to just feel better and better every day. It is like a veil has been lifted. The anger and impatience is lifting. The excruciating fatigue is lifting. I am better in so many ways.

I have only needed 3 doses so far (in 2 months). It is like a miracle, and I wish I had been able to see through my fog much earlier to have been able to think of doing this before.

Just thought I would post this for anyone who may be thinking that it's too late to try it.

blessings and strength to everyone...
#192 of 456 Old 09-16-2006, 07:41 AM

I totally meant to tincture my last placenta, but I just got so busy!

This time, I will have the ingrediants ready to plop it in a jar, right after the birth..
I feel weird about it, only because in some ways..it's like this baby's sibling. I dunno. The placenta is a marvelous thing
#193 of 456 Old 09-16-2006, 07:44 AM

and I really don't think I could eat it. In fact, the thought makes me gag. But, tinctures and capsules I can do.
#194 of 456 Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM

i totally want to get aboard this..
my mum had pretty bad PPD, and i've dealt with depression in a mild ongoing form for most of my life.. so anything to make PPD less likely will be great.

and i'm a meat-eater :, so perhaps this won't be that hard to 'stomach'

the tough part is how to get this done;
i don't want my mum or friends to know, cos i'd never hear the end of it.
i could talk DH around to it.
and the hospital - i have no idea if they'll even let me take it with me?

i'll be in hospital for 3-4 days as standard.. what do you suggest i should do?:

- get DH to drive 30mins each way back home to freeze it for later, but bring back a couple of slices for me to eat right away. then when we get around to eat i'll either cook or dehydrate it, and eat some + refreeze some for later.
OR
- find someone local (which i feel may be unlikely; in Melbourne Australia?) to prepare and dehydrate it for me in powdered form..
#195 of 456 Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM

There's a video on You Tube of a husband preparing and cooking the placenta and then eating the meal (its was like skillet lasagna or something) with his wife.. lemme go find that link

here's the thread, its the second video
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=519550

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#196 of 456 Old 09-22-2006, 03:32 AM

I've been thinking about doing this when we have our next child. BTW, I recently read that humans are the only mammals that don't eat their own placenta after giving birth.
#197 of 456 Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 PM

^and camels, i remember reading earlier in the thread =)

NFL reminds us that SO many childcare practices have their origin in the very early dark-ages days of "modern medicine" and since have never been questioned or properly thought about by the mainstream.

i don't feel any squeamishness about this. the only argument for not doing so seems to be - "but you can take a combination of so many artifical compounds to somewhat replicate the same beneficial effects"?!!

i wouldn't ingest another person's placenta. my own - i don't see the issue.
tho i wouldn't tell anyone else - i'd rather not have to get into a discussion and fight their closed minds. i'm too impatient and judgemental to be an activist here.

ooh i've gotten my DH on board - all i had to do was list briefly the possible beneficial effects of doing so - then the discussion quickly turned into the logistics of him leaving the hospital to store it. yay for my wonderful DH =)
#198 of 456 Old 09-23-2006, 04:00 PM

just jumping in, how detrimental is freezing the placenta for a few months before cooking/drying? I just didn't have time to deal with it right at birth and didn't eat it raw as I hardly bled at all. I was considering lotus birth but cut the cord after 8 hrs when it seemed right. I would like to try to eat it to stabilize me rocky moods as of late. What do you think?

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#199 of 456 Old 09-23-2006, 04:41 PM

ok, so i am currently sipping a smoothie with placenta in it.
it's really not noticeable at all. for those of you considering going the smoothie route i do have a suggestion/tip- let the hunks of placenta thaw out a bit before putting into the blender to make the smoothie. i thought my blender was strong enough to handle it frozen as i've never had an issue with frozen berries, but i was wrong. the first one i made contained the still intact hunks, so i just swallowed them whole.
ok, that's my 2 cents.

#200 of 456 Old 09-23-2006, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=dove;6044990]Just thought I would post this for anyone who may be thinking that it's too late to try it.
[QUOTE]

duh..thanks dove! I should have looked UP and read your very informative post before asking a question which had already been answered so articulately!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#201 of 456 Old 09-23-2006, 07:01 PM

Okay, I must admit my first reaction to the title was "ewww - WHY in the world you eat your placenta?" and wondering WHY? I clicked on in....after reading a bit I thought "DUH! Kinda gross, but that makes a lot of sense. Nature at her best." Now after reading half the posts and praying DS sleeps long enough to let me read them all, I am thinking "Man, I wonder how I can smuggle my placenta out of the hospital after my next baby!"

I just gotta say I LOVE MDC!!! You ladies open my eyes to things I never dreamed imaginable, and I am a much better person for it.

While I don't know if I could bring myself to eat my placenta, the capsule thing is quite do-able. You have me intrigued enough that I will have to research this!! Especially since I have battled depression since a teenager

My only question - how do you save it with a hospital birth?? We drive an hour away to go to a hospital that allows MW's to practice, so running home really quick isn't exactly an option.....
#202 of 456 Old 09-25-2006, 11:23 PM

is it true that if you end up with any drugs during labour, you can't ingest/use the placenta after? i read it somewhere..
#203 of 456 Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 AM

[QUOTE=arboriamoon;6098775]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dove View Post
Just thought I would post this for anyone who may be thinking that it's too late to try it.
QUOTE]

duh..thanks dove! I should have looked UP and read your very informative post before asking a question which had already been answered so articulately!
you're welcome!
#204 of 456 Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Just had this conversation with my midwife. She suggested drying it on low heat in the oven, then grinding and encapsulating it.
Apparently, besides the great iron boost you get from it, there are several vitamins and hormones in it that do all sort of good things for you.
Personally, the thought makes me a little queasy too. But all the possible benefits, without antidepressant type side effects are making it look worth it to me!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#205 of 456 Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 AM

Ok. Well here's an update.

I did freeze my placenta because I didn't know what I was going to do with it--I was just so darn happy to get to keep it.

So the other day I thawed and steamed my placenta with ginger, lemon and a hot pepper. I then sliced it really thin and *tried* to eat some. BLECK. Maybe it's because it was frozen first (though I don't think so) but I really couldn't stomach it. It definately tasted like an organ meat--like liver or kidney or something. I even tried to add tamari but I just couldn't get more than a few pieces down. The hardest part were the calcifications that got stuck in my teeth and gritted against them. Eww. So I put the rest on the oven on the lowest setting and dried it. Unfortunately I think I might have singed it a bit because it dried much quicker than I expected and looked pretty black around the edges. I plan to grind it and injest it when I feel compelled.

The good news is it stopped my post-partum spotting and seems to have calmed my moods. I am so glad I tried it but it wasn't easy! I would have had no problem wolfing down a chunk of raw placenta had I been hemorraging but I hardly bled at all. It just certainly isn't yummy, that's for sure.

Thanks for the support though! I'm glad I did it.

#206 of 456 Old 10-02-2006, 02:02 AM

If you put it in a smoothie, you can't taste and you don't get any calcification or gritty parts or anything.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#207 of 456 Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM

There was a case in Hawaii at a hospital there. An ethnic Hawaiin family sued because the hospital didn't allow them to take their placenta home.(AND WON) Apparently is was common practice all over the islands. I would check your hospital's policy. I'm sure you'll get some funny looks, but it does belong to you. Though you may want to make sure the delivery room nurses don'tthrow it out by mistake.
I've , but never done it, but legally you should be able to.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#208 of 456 Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
If you put it in a smoothie, you can't taste and you don't get any calcification or gritty parts or anything.
A smoothie it is!

Do you think its a good idea to do it all at once or save little doses for later?

#209 of 456 Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 PM

I just put few pieces in a smoothie for a few days, but someone on this thread I think made a huge batch of smoothie with most or all of the placenta and then froze the smoothie in individual servings and thawed and drank as needed.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#210 of 456 Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM

i cut it into pieces and use a few every day in a smoothie. i have a couple of servings left and DS will be 2wks tomorrow.
i prefer to do it in little servings obviously. but i think there's pros and cons to both.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page