Eating your Placenta to prevent PPD... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 456 Old 01-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I was just thinking, don't most of those other vegetarian mammals who eat their own placentas have multiple stomachs? I thought that might make a difference
#242 of 456 Old 01-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Just wanted to add that I know a mama who had no trouble taking her placenta home AND it was sent home with a relative overseas to be planted under a tree. No problems there, either.
#243 of 456 Old 01-26-2007, 07:49 PM

I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
I've been reading this thread for the past 9 months. At first I was a bit grossed out but after a bit I decided that consuming the placenta only made sense to me. We encapsulated the placenta 3 days after we had our daughter via an unplanned hospital birth. I did the preparing it was awesome. I felt so empowered and loved the smell. I wanted to take a big bit of it when I was cutting it but didn't. I've taken the pills 3 times a day for 3 wks and now 2 times a day. Just today I started taking them 1 time a day. I really think it helps. I haven't been a total emotional mess, they give me energy and I had hardly no post partum bleeding.
If anyone is on the fence I totally think you should do it. You won't regret it if you do but you might if you don't.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#244 of 456 Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM

This thread is awesome and so helpful!. I just had ds3 in dec. I never had ppd w/ my others. Between ds 2 and ds3 I had 2 m/c and I think it changed my hormones a bit or something. After this birth I was just floored emotionally. I couldn't get it together and I was having trouble bonding w/ my new baby. I didn't know what to do. my midwife suggested the placenta thing and that just seemed too gross. When he was 7wks old I just was getting worse and worse. I came and read this thread and realized how many mamas had had such great results w/ it. All of the prep ideas really helped also. So I did it!! And am seeing amazing results.It wasn't gross at all (as long as I kept the smell outside) and the bennefits of this are awesome!
Here's what I did:

The placenta was frozen so I put it in the refrigerator and let it partially thaw.
Then I sliced it into very thin slices.
I put it back in the fridge and let it thaw the rest of the way.
I drained the plastic bag and laid the pieces out on my dehydrator trays.
I put the dehydrator out in my shed. (I am glad that I did bcs the smell was very very strong)
I dried it for about 4 hrs until it was crispy and broke easily.
Then I broke it up into pieces that I would fit into my coffee grinder. (I covered my face up w/ a bandana bcs the smell was pretty strong)
Then I put it into sz 0 capsules.
I take 1 pill 3x a day w/ meals.
I noticed results after about 4 or 5 days. Absolutely Amazing!!!!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#245 of 456 Old 02-09-2007, 06:34 PM

DS is now 3 mo old and I am suffering with PPD badly! I just wish I had not been so afraid and opened this thread sooner...
#246 of 456 Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The placenta was frozen so I put it in the refrigerator and let it partially thaw.
Then I sliced it into very thin slices.
I put it back in the fridge and let it thaw the rest of the way.
I drained the plastic bag and laid the pieces out on my dehydrator trays.
I put the dehydrator out in my shed. (I am glad that I did bcs the smell was very very strong)
I dried it for about 4 hrs until it was crispy and broke easily.
Then I broke it up into pieces that I would fit into my coffee grinder. (I covered my face up w/ a bandana bcs the smell was pretty strong)
Then I put it into sz 0 capsules.
I take 1 pill 3x a day w/ meals.
I noticed results after about 4 or 5 days. Absolutely Amazing!!!!
LOVE THIS, BOYSMAMA... REALLY AWESOME INFORMATION!

I gotta say that I sure wish I would have known about eating the placenta when I had my son 5 years ago. My one friend who was way more plugged into things like this had her daughter about 4 years before my son and when I went to see her after their homebirth she and her midwife were talking about burying the placenta.. and I thought I was so hip for even knowing about that.. sigh.. eating is such a better choice then burying...

anyway, if some of you missed the opportunity with the placenta (like me)..
Here's a cool article by a doctor that really understands that we mothers donate our own body's nutrients to make our baby's body, placenta, breast milk, etc., and that we really need to consider focusing on replenishing our nutrient.

Here is a good article on pregnancyrecovery.com in the articles section. Really good info in other articles too.

http://pregnancyrecovery.wordpress.com/

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#247 of 456 Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Hi

I think be *very-very* careful about who you tell about the placenta eating. I followed the instructions on this website and eat the placenta right away when it came out. I am from a very conservative place (Pakistan) and marginized for my placenta eating. THIS IS NOT JOKE; PLEASE DO NOT BE MEAN.

People on the streets now shout things like "vampire" at me when I am outside walking. This is because the medcic whom I trusted and I told about the placenta eating said "you don't eat your period or placenta" But the fact is, sometimes I do. Like the placenta eating.... very good for controlling the body hormones I think and also tissue made from life. When I explained all of this they told all the people in the village including the elders. I've been beaten and lashed many times as punishment but I have escaped now.

!!Be very careful about the plancenta eating!!
#248 of 456 Old 04-14-2007, 04:38 PM

I just wanted to say that we dehydrated mine today and it made surprisingly little. Only a few tablespoons at most. It seemed so huge! I'm vegan and was surprised/disturbed at how much I love the smell even though it made my husband gag. I never wanted or craved meat before, ever. I'm so mad at that placenta for being 10X more difficult to birth than the baby that it deserves to be eaten! I've been having some serious breakdowns so I really hope it helps.
#249 of 456 Old 04-15-2007, 07:12 AM

I am due here pretty soon and contemplating this as well. I had seen a few threads here and there about it and after the mw mentioned it the other day I am strongly considering it. PPD was pretty bad last time and I would really, really, really rather avoid feeling like that if at all possible.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#250 of 456 Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 PM

Wow ... i am thinking about it
#251 of 456 Old 04-15-2007, 04:53 PM

crunchy mama: the drying capsule idea sounds like the way to go IMO. I don't think I would do a shake but if it was the only way to prevent PPD then I would do anything ... way better than having to take zoloft or some other happy pill.
#252 of 456 Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 PM

i just wanted to bump this bcs it was really hard to find and this was an awesome resource for me. I want it to be easy to find for other mamas.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#253 of 456 Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Hi

I think be *very-very* careful about who you tell about the placenta eating. I followed the instructions on this website and eat the placenta right away when it came out. I am from a very conservative place (Pakistan) and marginized for my placenta eating. THIS IS NOT JOKE; PLEASE DO NOT BE MEAN.

People on the streets now shout things like "vampire" at me when I am outside walking. This is because the medcic whom I trusted and I told about the placenta eating said "you don't eat your period or placenta" But the fact is, sometimes I do. Like the placenta eating.... very good for controlling the body hormones I think and also tissue made from life. When I explained all of this they told all the people in the village including the elders. I've been beaten and lashed many times as punishment but I have escaped now.

!!Be very careful about the plancenta eating!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Lotus15 : 03-27-2007 at 12:20 PM.
#254 of 456 Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 PM

I'll take my last dose today and I really think it helped.
#255 of 456 Old 05-02-2007, 03:19 AM

Checking in again. I have since had another baby (happens like every year ) and ate another placenta. I have been ppd free for 18+ mos now. So now can I say it not only cures but prevents? I will eat my placenta after every baby, depressed or not. It was so terrible being depressed I would do anything to prevent that from happening again.

Thank-you ladies for getting out there and talking about this. I will be forever grateful.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#256 of 456 Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 AM

I had ppd with ds1 until he was 15mos old and I was about 6 mos into my 2nd pregnancy, I'm about to give birth any day/week now and intend to consume the placenta raw afterward, ANYTHING to not be depressed again. ANYTHING. I told the midwives and they're pretty excited about it since I will be their first client to actually do it, they've had a few ladies ask about it. My husband is grossed out He had to clean up a cow placenta as a kid and was traumatized by it.
#257 of 456 Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 AM
MaT

dh cooked mine right after the birth of dd2: stirfry with veggies and kimchi. pretty yummie considering that in all other respects I'm vegetarian.
It felt right.
I felt great afterwards. dd2 is 6 mths now and I still feel good. sure there are highs and lows, but if I keep myself nutritiuonally boosted, I'm good.

Tricia
#258 of 456 Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 PM

I'm trying to find someone to encapsulate mine for me and so far, no luck.

A doula friend suggested doing this, which sounds maybe just a bit easier than going through the cooking and slicing, etc.

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/placentaessence.html

It's basically pickling it in vodka or other alcohol for 4 hours, mixing with water and then bottling. It doesn't say what to do with the placenta afterwards though. Wonder if you could still powder it if you wanted to???

If nothing else, you could still plant it under a tree if you wanted.

'Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#259 of 456 Old 05-04-2007, 12:36 AM

It doesn't say whether to refrigerate the placenta essence. I assume you would? Or does the alcohol preserve it? Is it okay to take this while nursing, given the alcohol content? I wonder which is better, essence or encapsulation?

Full Time Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl.
: : :
#260 of 456 Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 AM

I've posted under the birth and beyond forum, and the "im pregnant" forum, regarding a current BIG issue with placentas taking place in Las vegas, nevada.

Here's my post:
Wouldn't you think that if you 'birthed' a placenta, it is YOURS to keep (if you want to) and do whatever you want with...I mean you have the baby, and the baby's yours, but the placenta is the hospital's property???

Theres a woman in my town (friend of mine) going through a HUGE ordeal and possible legal action to obtain her placenta back from the hospital.

For a detail story:
www.diva-mama.com

We'll be doing a protest on monday, and you can watch it LIVE through my helloworld page, Monday, at 10am PST:
www.helloworld.com/vallefam
#261 of 456 Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 AM

pixies mommy - check out post #237 and #241 of this thread and you will get info on encapsulation and essence.

ltlfaery - that is absolutely terrible. I will be sending you my story. When I had to transfer w/ ds1 the hosp. staff asked me if I wanted to take home my placenta. They immediately handed it to my dh and he took it home. We buried it under a cherry tree as I didn't know of placentophagy yet. This story is very sad

#262 of 456 Old 05-05-2007, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what worked great for me: 1 small raw piece blendered in tomato juice...couldn't tell

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#263 of 456 Old 05-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Well, I just encapsulated mine w/ a friend who studies TCM and it was an awesome experience! The basic order is to steam, bake/dehydrate, grind into powder for capsules. I didn't think I would eat it, but after we steamed it and were cutting it up, by the way, it's like roast beef (!), we went for it and it tasted very nutritious; lots of blood/iron taste. It was so different from what I expected, that I ate several pieces and swear that I was giddy afterward. By the way, our very protective, nurturing, male Akita couldn't stay away from the kitchen so we gave him some and he kept begging for more; in contrast, our female Akita is not friendly w/ children and wouldn't even touch it. Very interesting... I am taking 2 caps 3X/day for two weeks, which came out to 84 caps, plus my friend wanted to see if he experienced any lightening of his depressed mood (haven't heard the results yet) so he kept about 12caps. It's hard for me to say if it is the caps that are keeping me so happy, because this birth was so much easier than the 1st one. I had PPD very badly then, but this time it is the opposite.
As far as the trouble pp have had w/ getting the placenta out of the hospital, I will tell you how I did it, and I am the first to take mine home before the required 7-10 day waiting period: I called hosp. ahead of time to let them know that I needed it w/in 3 days of delivery and, at first, they didn't want to give it. So, I basically said that my PPD was so bad the first time that I'm willing to eat pieces of the raw, just-birthed placenta to avoid PPD this time. The nurse said she had to get her manager! I fully explained what I was going to do w/ it and that I needed it w/in 3 days. They decided to make me sign a tissue release form to be able to take it home w/ me. The other thing is that they only have a freezer at the hosp, so I had a friend take mine home immed. after birth. So, ask beforehand if they have a refrigerator at hosp if you're staying overnight. If anyone has questions about the encapsulation process or how I'm feeling, please ask. It was an awesome experience!
#264 of 456 Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM

OMG I had no idea hospitals could regulate or refuse to let you have the placenta! Is this typical? I guess that's one more thing on the list making me determined to have a home or birthing center birth if at all possible. Does anyone know where I could find out more about hospital regulations and how to get around them, so I can check with my area hospitals and plan ahead in case of emergency?
#265 of 456 Old 05-11-2007, 10:26 PM

You can probably ask whomever is in charge of the labor department. It might be a good idea to get something in writing from this person saying it is okay for you to take it. I would check with THIER supervisor too- just to make 100% sure.

Also, luckily, my hubby has told me he will bring the placenta home and refrigerate it immediately and will make the capsules for me! : YAY! I plan to take a cooler to the hospital and either they can give us some ice or he can pick some up at the corner gas station on the way home with it. We're only about 20 minutes from the hospital too.

Thanks SOOOOO much for this thread. I never ever would have thought of this if I hadn't read this.

Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#266 of 456 Old 05-12-2007, 12:31 AM

Look what I stumbled across when I googled Oregon placenta! Ack!! http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...2/13/65318.htm . That's a great idea to remember to get the top person to give you written consent...I wonder if I can do that for every area hospital just so I'm prepared and have one less thing to worry about in case of emergency (yeah, I know I worry and overplan too much)
#267 of 456 Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 AM

I had my placenta prepared and started taking the capsules about ten days ago, being 5 days pp. It has helped tremendously! I lost A LOT of blood after delivery (I even had a smoothie...tasted like a bloody mary ). As soon as I took those first three capsules, it's like I finally woke up and had mental clarity I was used to. I've been prone to depression my whole life and wanted to do as much as possible to curb ppd.

I wish more people were more open to this, I really can't speak highly enough of it. I'm really glad I stumbled upon the research for this early in my pregnancy. Even happier that I met a yogi who prepares placentas two weeks before I had my baby Thank you universe...
#268 of 456 Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM

I'm not pregnant yet, but when we do have our I plan to dehydrate my placenta. I already have hormonal mood issues and know that even though I will be thrilled to meet my child, the 'mones might get me down. I'm a doula and mention this to my clients as well.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#269 of 456 Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 AM

All of this MAY be coincidence.. I'll never know! BUT here is what's happening so far, and first a bit of background.

With my frirst pregnancy I had depression starting from the moment of conception, and it turned into PPD which was so bad I can't believe I lived with it. I don't know WHY it went away, but about halfway through my 2nd pregnancy the depression went away.... and I just had my 2nd baby on the 5th of June. Each day since the birth I've been having some pieces of raw placenta, I'm just keeping it in the fridge and cutting off chunks and swallowing them with water or a vitamin drink. Cutting it up is really gross heheh but I was willing to do ANYTHING to not have the PPD I had last time.
I feel incredible. UNfortunately I tore and have stitches and some bad hemorrhoids so I'm sore in that area but besides the healing there taking energy, even though I'm in hyper alert newborn sleep mode and NOT sleeping all night because every movement and peep the baby makes has me ready I have soooo much energy and mental clarity, I feel better mentally than I have since I got pregnant with my first. If I didn't have the stitches and soreness I would be out taking long walks and shopping with my newborn and toddler, I was up cooking on the day I gave birth and every day since then and keep finding myself starting to clean or do laundry and stopping myself and thinking ok, go lie down and don't aggravate your stitches! Just saying I feel awesome and while it may be coincidence it might be the placenta.
#270 of 456 Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's great news that so many mothers are helped by eating their placentas! So compelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anybody tried it and found it didn't make a difference.....? Just curious, not trying to be difficult........just wondering whether to risk feeling a traumatic third degree tear again with bb#2 instead of pain relief.....weighing the pros and cons.......sigh...........

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page