Mothering Forum banner

Eating your Placenta to prevent PPD...

95K views 455 replies 226 participants last post by  Skyler 
#1 ·
I'm planning on drying my placenta (16 weeks pregnant now), grinding it up in the coffee grinder and taking in capsules. I heard that it is an excellent post-partum tonic. In chinese medicine, they prescribe it for people who have low energy. I also think it would feel good to take something back after giving so much (baby.... fluids...placenta...) It is the only meat that comes from life, not death. Don't (vegetarian) cows eat their placentas?

I don't think I could stomache "Placenta stew" or "Placenta stir-fry". With my first baby's placenta, I ate a tiny little peice, and that was all I could. The rest, I gave to my cats. I wish I had preserved it instead.

Has anyone else done this? Does anyone want to do it when you have your baby?

#204 ·
Just had this conversation with my midwife. She suggested drying it on low heat in the oven, then grinding and encapsulating it.
Apparently, besides the great iron boost you get from it, there are several vitamins and hormones in it that do all sort of good things for you.
Personally, the thought makes me a little queasy too. But all the possible benefits, without antidepressant type side effects are making it look worth it to me!!

#205 ·
Ok. Well here's an update.

I did freeze my placenta because I didn't know what I was going to do with it--I was just so darn happy to get to keep it.

So the other day I thawed and steamed my placenta with ginger, lemon and a hot pepper. I then sliced it really thin and *tried* to eat some. BLECK. Maybe it's because it was frozen first (though I don't think so) but I really couldn't stomach it. It definately tasted like an organ meat--like liver or kidney or something. I even tried to add tamari but I just couldn't get more than a few pieces down. The hardest part were the calcifications that got stuck in my teeth and gritted against them. Eww. So I put the rest on the oven on the lowest setting and dried it. Unfortunately I think I might have singed it a bit because it dried much quicker than I expected and looked pretty black around the edges. I plan to grind it and injest it when I feel compelled.

The good news is it stopped my post-partum spotting and seems to have calmed my moods. I am so glad I tried it but it wasn't easy! I would have had no problem wolfing down a chunk of raw placenta had I been hemorraging but I hardly bled at all. It just certainly isn't yummy, that's for sure.

Thanks for the support though! I'm glad I did it.

#207 ·
There was a case in Hawaii at a hospital there. An ethnic Hawaiin family sued because the hospital didn't allow them to take their placenta home.(AND WON) Apparently is was common practice all over the islands. I would check your hospital's policy. I'm sure you'll get some funny looks, but it does belong to you. Though you may want to make sure the delivery room nurses don'tthrow it out by mistake.
I've , but never done it, but legally you should be able to.

#208 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
If you put it in a smoothie, you can't taste and you don't get any calcification or gritty parts or anything.
A smoothie it is!

Do you think its a good idea to do it all at once or save little doses for later?

#210 ·
i cut it into pieces and use a few every day in a smoothie. i have a couple of servings left and DS will be 2wks tomorrow.
i prefer to do it in little servings obviously. but i think there's pros and cons to both.

#211 ·
Wow, this thread has been really interesting.

I'm due to have my first baby early next year, and postnatal depression is one of the things that has really scared me - much more so than the birth itself. I've suffered from depression in the past, and I don't want to go back there. I had thought of eating my placenta, but wasn't really sure if I'd be able to cope with the look/smell/taste etc. I'm not completely veggie, but I don't often eat red meat or organs, and I never handle them. The capsules sound like a great idea, but I don't think food dehydrators are that easy to get here (UK), and it sounds like a lot of work. The smoothie thing sounds quite easy and possible though. I specially like the idea of having it in V8 vegetable juice, as it already has a sort of metallic savoury taste. The thought of mixing fruit and raw meat is not so appealing to me personally (although glad to hear it's worked for others).

I have spoken to my partner about eating the placenta, and she's very supportive, so long as she doesn't have to touch it (strict vegan, and very squeamish). But should I mention it to the midwives or not? We're having a home birth, and it's quite common to keep placentas to plant under trees, so there's no problem there. They've been very supportive about my decision not to have the triple test and scans, so they might be okay with this. However, I think I'm going to upset them when I insist on co-sleeping, and not having vitamin K, and I don't want them to think I'm completely odd... Has anyone else had a negative reaction from a midwife, and how did you deal with it?

#212 ·
I just can't do it. Even with the PPD that I have had, and will most likely have again, I just can't do it. To me, it just seems like I would be eating something from me as gross as BMs, urine and boogers. I know the baby lives in it for 9 months, but it still grosses me out.

When I did have my 6th child, and since discovering MDC, I did ask to let me see the placenta, since with the other 5 I never did look at it. It came out, it was gone. I could careless, but with #6, I just wanted to see what it looked like. Interesting, but I couldn't eat it.

#213 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by majazama View Post
I'm planning on drying my placenta (16 weeks pregnant now), grinding it up in the coffee grinder and taking in capsules. I heard that it is an excellent post-partum tonic. In chinese medicine, they prescribe it for people who have low energy. I also think it would feel good to take something back after giving so much (baby.... fluids...placenta...) It is the only meat that comes from life, not death. Don't (vegetarian) cows eat their placentas?

I don't think I could stomache "Placenta stew" or "Placenta stir-fry". With my first baby's placenta, I ate a tiny little peice, and that was all I could. The rest, I gave to my cats. I wish I had preserved it instead.

Has anyone else done this? Does anyone want to do it when you have your baby?
I haven't read the whole thread yet but just wanted to say I am 14 weeks pregnant, vegan, and planning the same thing.

#214 ·
I am sorry to hear that it grosses so many people out. Most mammals do eat their placentas, as we've talked about before. As anyone who has been threatened with a postpartum hemmorage prevented by placental consumption how "gross" it was. It just shows how "civilized" we've become. The interesting thing is how many people are equally appaulled by the idea of unattended homebirth. Also something that has been done for eons.

For the mamas that DID see and REAP the benefits of placental consumption, I have a question for you:

Did you feel weird/high after a dose of placenta? I've taken 2 doses now and both times felt really light and vibrational. Is this placebo effect or did other feel it too?

Btw, I consume it with triple intention: pulling energy up into my uterus to stop pp bleeding; pulling energy in to help my body shrink and return to its pre-pregnant state; and pulling energy down from above to calm my moods and bring to to tranquility. So far I say its VERY effective. Actually the unusual pp spottng I had ceased the day of my first dose!

#215 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDSmomma6 View Post
To me, it just seems like I would be eating something from me as gross as BMs, urine and boogers.
This just occurred to me. These are things that come out of your body. You know what else comes out of your body?

BREASTMILK!

#216 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaymama View Post
Wow, this thread has been really interesting.

I'm due to have my first baby early next year, and postnatal depression is one of the things that has really scared me - much more so than the birth itself. I've suffered from depression in the past, and I don't want to go back there. I had thought of eating my placenta, but wasn't really sure if I'd be able to cope with the look/smell/taste etc. I'm not completely veggie, but I don't often eat red meat or organs, and I never handle them. The capsules sound like a great idea, but I don't think food dehydrators are that easy to get here (UK), and it sounds like a lot of work. The smoothie thing sounds quite easy and possible though. I specially like the idea of having it in V8 vegetable juice, as it already has a sort of metallic savoury taste. The thought of mixing fruit and raw meat is not so appealing to me personally (although glad to hear it's worked for others).

I have spoken to my partner about eating the placenta, and she's very supportive, so long as she doesn't have to touch it (strict vegan, and very squeamish). But should I mention it to the midwives or not? We're having a home birth, and it's quite common to keep placentas to plant under trees, so there's no problem there. They've been very supportive about my decision not to have the triple test and scans, so they might be okay with this. However, I think I'm going to upset them when I insist on co-sleeping, and not having vitamin K, and I don't want them to think I'm completely odd... Has anyone else had a negative reaction from a midwife, and how did you deal with it?

I would think they would be supportive of natural remedies.

#217 ·
I just finished reading the WHOLE thread and feel pretty dumb now for jumping in first (but I am a jump first, look later kind of girl). It got pretty hostile back in the middle, eh? I wanted to post my own responses but these were posted over a year ago! So I'll let it go.

gaymama, I don't think its unusual for people to keep their placentas for burial, printing, etc. You don't have to being up placentophagy with your mw if you are worried about negativity. You are entitled to privacy too!

#219 ·
My DS's placenta is languishing in the freezer...I was planning on burying on some mountain... but I scarecely go out, haha. He is nearly seven months, so would it's vital force be gone?

One of my fondest memories was the assisting midwife, holding my placenta and saying how beautiful it was... Is like she was marvelling, little sugarheart.... At the time I thought it was a bit nuts, now it makes me feel all happy.

Did anyone else's placenta leave a little piece behind? About 2 hours after my son was born, I got up to stretch and - plop, a little piece fell on the ground. I scooped it up and disposed of it.. but at the time I found this absolutely hilarious...!

#221 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupena View Post
I've been a vegetarian for ages and the thought of slicing it up makes me not only queasy, but also a little sad...!?
For anyone who has experienced PPD, I think not slicing and consuming it would make them a LOT sadder!!!!

#223 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupena View Post
My DS's placenta is languishing in the freezer...I was planning on burying on some mountain... but I scarecely go out, haha. He is nearly seven months, so would it's vital force be gone?

One of my fondest memories was the assisting midwife, holding my placenta and saying how beautiful it was... Is like she was marvelling, little sugarheart.... At the time I thought it was a bit nuts, now it makes me feel all happy.

Did anyone else's placenta leave a little piece behind? About 2 hours after my son was born, I got up to stretch and - plop, a little piece fell on the ground. I scooped it up and disposed of it.. but at the time I found this absolutely hilarious...!
I am of the belief that the placenta should be consumed soon after birth. I don't think it has the same effects when frozen, or dried.

Are you 100% sure it was placenta that plopped out? When you are reclined blood can pool and clot. These types of clots can be big and pretty solid. Health care providers inspect the placenta to be sure that it is complete (not fragmented) because little bits left inside can be very problematic. I have to say that it isn't always easy to tell if a piece is missing, and it's certainly possible to fragment and not experience the related complications, but the combination of events would be quite uncommon.

#224 ·
Im sorry to jump in on this thread, but i was referred here by someone over in my due date club.

So after reading up on this i decided that i am going to do it. I dont want to go through the PPD again, and since I am already feeling blue and my babe isnt even here yet... I really want to do anything I can to help prevent it. Also i heard it helps with bleeding, which I take as an extra plus. So here is my question: How do I tell the docs im taking it home? I mean, someone gave me a good suggestion... but can they tell me I cant have it? Is there something i can say to get it without to many questions? See here in Philly im almost positive that it is not something people do that often, and some people have told me that they think the docs will either refuse to give it to me or try and have me evaluated on the psyche ward, basically out of not understanding. Can I get some help with this please? And also, if someone knows or doesnt mind... can you direct me to a link on what to do once im home with it? This is all very very new to me... but if it will help im all for it.

#226 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by forty's_wifey View Post
Im sorry to jump in on this thread, but i was referred here by someone over in my due date club.

So after reading up on this i decided that i am going to do it. I dont want to go through the PPD again, and since I am already feeling blue and my babe isnt even here yet... I really want to do anything I can to help prevent it. Also i heard it helps with bleeding, which I take as an extra plus. So here is my question: How do I tell the docs im taking it home? I mean, someone gave me a good suggestion... but can they tell me I cant have it? Is there something i can say to get it without to many questions? See here in Philly im almost positive that it is not something people do that often, and some people have told me that they think the docs will either refuse to give it to me or try and have me evaluated on the psyche ward, basically out of not understanding. Can I get some help with this please? And also, if someone knows or doesnt mind... can you direct me to a link on what to do once im home with it? This is all very very new to me... but if it will help im all for it.

It's yours...you can have it. If you think your doc will hassle you about it, you could always say that you are going to plant a tree over it or something like that - generally this explanation is more accepted by mainstream docs (unfortuntely).

#227 ·
Hi!

I only want to add, that the placenta has a lot of natural Progesterone, Your own Progesterone..

But you can also have injections of progesterone after giving birth...if you don´t want to dry and eat your placenta:

Dr. Katharina treated all her patients, who suffered from PPD or PPP, with injections (100 mg) of Progesteron...

I want like to recommend you the book of Dr. Dalton:
"Depression after Childbirth"
How to Recognise, Treat and Prevent Postnatal Depression

Here you will find a lot of Information about Progesteron/PPD and PPP:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=534744

You can also call one of the clinics, that use the Progesteron-Therapie...!

Bye-Blanca

#228 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blancanieves View Post
Hi!

I only want to add, that the placenta has a lot of natural Progesterone, Your own Progesterone..
Thanks! This is just one more piece of evidence to support why we should be consuming our placentas! Don't you think your own natural progesterone would be more easily assilimated into our bodies than a synthetic derivative?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.