PPD Meeting/presentation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-11-2003, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I facilitate a breastfeeding support group, and we are holding a series of evenings to promote our group. This month we will have a speaker on PPD. She is a mental health worker who has personal experience with ppd. Does anyone have suggestions for what they would want covered at a meeting like this? Any really good handouts or resources? I see the sticky at the top of the page, I'll definitely go there too.
#2 of 5 Old 01-11-2003, 12:23 PM

Beck, I heard about ppd at a weekly bfing support group, also. I kept thinking I didn't have it because my symptoms didn't match what they kept telling us. I would want that nurse to tell her story and as many others' as she felt comfortable. And especially to let the women know that it shows up at different times and in different ways for different women. If a woman is at all concerned that she's not feeling quite the way she used to (other than totally exhausted by new baby ) she should seek advice form a medical practictioner.

HTH,
Jenni

(On Paxil for 2 yrs now-through a pg and two bfings)
#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2003, 12:38 AM

Beck - Having just come off a thread about my hospital experience so this is fresh in my mind -

I would like to see "dissapionting/traumatic" hospital (Or even home!) birth experiences as one precursor/initiator to PPD. I think too often in the mainstream media and literature it is overlooked or dismissed. I know hormones play a big role, but I am sick of hormones being the only "bad guy" to be mentioned, as if the implication is that there is only somethign wrong with the mother and that is all there is too it.

Jesse
Mommy to Kieran, Donovan and Liam
#4 of 5 Old 01-12-2003, 01:19 AM

One more thought as I read Jesse's post--read our Intro's down a ways in the PPD forum. Often those tell our thoughts on how we ended up with PPD. I think that it's often women who try to do it all, I know i'm guilty of wanting everything to be perfect and being utterly disappointed when it doesn't turn out that way.

(Which, which two little ones is often the case :LOL)
#5 of 5 Old 01-13-2003, 11:09 PM

AM Mom,
I certainly can agree with that.. I have been known to base my entire esteem on how well the kitchen floor shined, I had to learn that if I didn't get what I wanted done in a day to not beat myself up over it -if I got one or two things done (even if it was phone calls I had to make or the sinkful of dishes) I have learned to give myself a small pat on the back (because no one else does, LOL)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page