zoloft and nursing - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 32 Old 06-08-2003, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
another link

http://www.promom.org/101/

mommy2andrew, you might like to check out the moms who couldn't bf thread in FYT.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 06-09-2003, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the benefit of any who are unfamiliar with our boards I would like to note that you are going to find that MDC is a very pro-breastfeeding board. Yes, we have moms here who have not breastfed for various reasons, but the vast majority of us here have breastfed. My concern, as well as abimommy's is that we do not want mothers who may not be well educated about ssri's and breastfeeding to think that breastfeeding while on an ssri is unsafe. I find it hard to believe that an educated psychiatrist or obgyn would ever tell a mother that breastfeeding and ssri's are a bad combination. A doctor at the university medical center in my town has an ongoing study on ssri's and breastfeeding. AM Mom who frequents this board was a part of that study and the amount of Paxil found in her baby's blood was basically undetectible.

I would also like to note that the amount of medication a baby receives daily if the mother is taking an ssri while pregnant is equivalent to what the baby would receive nursing for two years. To put that another way, a baby would have to be breastfed for two years to get the same amount of the drug as it receives in one day in utero. That's why I'm a bit surprised when doctors tell moms that it is okay to take an ssri while pregnant, but not while nursing. :

If you are on a benzodiazapan, that is an entirely different story, but ssri's are safe for breastfeeding.

We aren't judging you for formula feeding, we just want to be sure that mom's who may be struggling with PPD and who want help, get it. We don't want moms to think that there is nothing that can do for their ppd because they are breastfeeding because that is far from the truth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page