Mothering Forum banner

5-htp...

883 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Gale Force 
#1 ·
Is this the same everywhere? where can it be bought in Canada? any healthfood store?
What strength would I buy and how often to take?
Does anyone know how this affects bi-polar people as well?

#2 ·
I buy it for myself, but mainly for DH...it's fantastic. we started on 50mg, and are now up to 100mg. one a day. I've taken antidepressants in the past for ppd, and 5htp is much more subtle, you still have emotion, but as it boosts your seritonin(sp), it gives you a slight lift. have to say it's worked wonders on dh.

Don't know about the Bi polar thing. I would think you can buy it in Canada, I buy mine online now as it's cheaper, let me know if you would like the info and I'll have a search.

#3 ·
Yummy- where are you in Canada???
I am in Windsor- Ontario
I have called Nutrition House and they do carry it. You may also want to try GNC- they carry body building stuff and alot of lifters use amino's to help build mass.
Nutrition House told me over the phone that they have 2 brands. One is 200mg for $42.99 and the other is 100mg for $26.99.
HTH

#4 ·
vitacost.com is where I order from. I think the bottle was $14.99 USD for 120 caps (100mg each)...a great deal. much better than GNC, vitamin world or whole foods

you should check out the "a true natural remedy" thread. I also posted asking what people were taking. I take 300 mg/day with a super B complex. I am like a new person. I love it. Feels so good to feel so good

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bzymom
I read not take it while breastfeeding so can I take Gaba instead?
If 5HTP is contraindicated, I expect GABA would be too. Many women here taken 5HTP instead of anti-depressants, so it's really an issue of what you are comfortable with. There are no studies of breastfeeding moms and 5HTP. And there are few clinical trials of antidepressants on pregnant and breastfeeding moms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.