starting paxil tonight--anything i should know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-13-2006, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm starting paxil tonight--just a small dose (10mg per day). is there anything i should be aware of/foods or anything i should avoid. my doc said that i very well could experience fatigue, so to take it before bed. we cosleep--this isn't going to knock me out too much to be aware of dd is it? anything else? just want to be prepared. i tried so hard to avoid meds but am relieved to be starting something to try to get back to normal. thanks!

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#2 of 8 Old 10-13-2006, 08:20 PM

Just be prepared for a wide range of side effects. I had terrible dry-mouth with it, and difficulty urinating. The first is a fairly common side effect, the second quite rare but documented.
#3 of 8 Old 10-13-2006, 09:34 PM

When I started my antidepressant (Lexapro) I also had dry mouth, so I made sure I had a water bottle next to my bed to help with this. Also for the first week I felt very tired and fatigued, however as this tiredness gradually lifted I began to feel better. I know Lexapro is different than Paxil, but alot of the antidepressants have similar side effect profiles. Take care.
#4 of 8 Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks...i can't remember the last time i took any medication, and never an anti depressant, so i'm just really nervous but relieved too...

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#5 of 8 Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM

I'm also on 10 mg of Paxil. I got headaches for the first week- not bad ones though, that was about it. Oh- and my dreams are very vivid but they're very interesting- no nightmares or anything like that. Zoloft made me so so sleepy. I guess everyone reacts differently.

Good luck to you.
#6 of 8 Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 PM

at nite?? from what i remember it made me hyper!! and i was instructed to take it in the morning..
#7 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 06:31 AM

Hi!

Every person reacts different to antidepressants...

I would start with 5 mg..for 4 days and dann would I take 10 mg...

I must tell you that a lot of people have problems with Paroxetin (substance)when they want to stop taking it...

Citalopram and estacilopram seem to be better subtances that paroxetin.

We the patients must always try to be informed about the medicine we have to take...

Good Luck!

Blanca
#8 of 8 Old 10-20-2006, 05:27 PM

Start slowly -- and watch your body for signals about whether it makes you sleepy or hyper (it makes ME sleepy). If it makes you sleepy, night is definitely better. If it makes you hyper, then do it in the AM.

Paxil can give you dry mouth, it can also upset your stomach for 2-3 days. It can give you a headache for several days as well. For me, the difference in how I felt was worth the side effects.

Know that 10 mg is a starter dose and many, many women need more than that.

I've been on Paxil for a while, my highest dose was 60 mg, I'm down to half of that. This is my 2nd time on Paxil. Going off isn't that bad IF you do it SLOWLY and make sure that you're stable between reductions. I'm pretty sensitive to meds, and so I need to go down by 5 mg increments.

Keep the number of your prescribing doctor handy in case you are worried.

Do not google Paxil and read everyone else's reactions. Listen to your own body.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page