weaning off of celexa - any good ways to reduce withdrawal effects? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi - trying to get off of my celexa and am having annoying side effects. i thought that i was going pretty slow and tapering off well, but i stopped about 3 days ago (after being on 10 mg/day for about one week) and am now really having symptoms. does anyone have information on other ways to reduce these withdrawal symptoms without having to restart meds??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 AM
elf

Hi--
hang in there!!! benadryl helps with some of the symptoms. but mostly, take your time with your wean. it took me 6 months to fully get off my anti-depressant. i ended up opening up 1 pill so all the little pill balls could come out. i would put them on a little plate (32 pill balls per pill) and i would decrease the number i took every so often. the last 2 balls were the hardest to come off of--it took a whole month. that gives you and idea of how strong these drugs are!!
i am so happy that i was able to get off of the drug. i hope that you find success and health!
E
Old 01-19-2007, 04:54 AM

I would try 10mg every other day for a week or two, and then 10mg every 3rd day for a week, and then quit.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:35 AM

Just curious if you are weaning on your own or under a doctor's care. I have been on celexa over 7 years at different dosages and the changes usually take about 2 weeks before they start to take effect. I usually change by 10 mg at a time (I was up to 80 mg at my worst) and I stay at that dose for at least a month to see how it affects me (taking into account hormones, AF and various stressors that may happen). I check in with my doc, sometimes just a phone call, each time I raise or lower, in case anything doesn't seem right.

As far as side effects, I have gotten the "brain zaps" when I've lowered too much (they're a momentary ringing/buzzing/electrical sensation, you can google it, but if you've had them you probably know what I mean). I have a lot of anxiety during those first 2 weeks, chamomile tea and tylenol pm helps, also limiting caffiene. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

User Tag List