Homeopathic Treatment for PPD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-12-2003, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am a relatively new poster but enjoy reading all your caring thoughts & support for one another. I know that PPD is such a personal thing. I had it BAD after #2 and have some symptoms after #3 (9 months old)
I am not pro or con on the medication thing but wanted to put it out there that I have had great success with homeopathic treatments for PPD. We have a wonderful homeopathic nurse practioner & she gave me a remedy for PPD (Sepia) that I took over a period of 3 months or so & IT HELPED alot!! I am taking it now in fact to keep the black cloud at bay.
Just wanted to mention this beacuse I really believe it can help & their seems to be some seeking an alternative to regular meds.
#2 of 16 Old 05-12-2003, 02:01 PM

Is it safe to take during pregnancy?
#3 of 16 Old 05-12-2003, 10:35 PM

Is it safe to take while nursing?
#4 of 16 Old 05-12-2003, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sepia is totally safe for pregnancy and nursing! In fact, homeopathics as a general rule are safe to take any time - they have no side effects.

I use Sepia for nasty PMS. When I feel like I want to yell at everyone, I start it. Works wonders....
#5 of 16 Old 05-15-2003, 04:47 PM

... that sepia worked for you probably because it matched your ppd symptoms. This is the way homeopathics work. Each person's ppd symptoms will be different and probably require a different remedy. It is worth the $'s to go and see a qualified homeopath to prescribe the "correct" Rx for your constitutional type.

The key here is "constitution". Each person has a remedy that best matches their constitutional "picture" and often (though not always, sometimes it is one of the other more common Rx's) the constitutional Rx is the one that can alleviate ppd symptoms.

And it *is* totally safe while nursing and / or pregnant; also safe for babies, pets, the elderly or infirm :-) b/c they are so diluted that the original substance is almost completely absent in its molecular form).

Warmly,
Michelle in NY - mom to ds (5) and dd (10 months)
#6 of 16 Old 05-16-2003, 02:50 AM

After having my second baby, I used Bach's rescue remedy to help alleviate my anxiety symptons when I felt they were getting overwhelming. I see that Peanut Butter Kisses still sells it.
I myself haven't ever tried presecription meds, mostly because I'm afraid I won't be able to wean off of them. I figure if I got through PPD the first two times w/o it I can this time as well.
#7 of 16 Old 05-16-2003, 04:33 PM

Jesse & Stacey, thanks for the info.

Michelle, thank you for clairifying. I have never consulted a homeopath, so I didn't know all the details!! I love learning new things!!
#8 of 16 Old 06-03-2003, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle1k
[BAnd it *is* totally safe while nursing and / or pregnant; also safe for babies, pets, the elderly or infirm :-) b/c they are so diluted that the original substance is almost completely absent in its molecular form).
[/B]
I talked to a homeopathist who felt that homeopathic remedies were not safe or good to take while nursing, because they are intended for the mother, not the child. Should I find another homeopathist?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#9 of 16 Old 06-03-2003, 07:33 PM

Yes, I think it is time to find another homeopath!

Seriously, though, the Rx's will not have any effect on the babe b/c there is nothing to "change". It would have to be the correct Rx for the individual child's constitution to have an effect and even if it was, it could only be a positive (and not a negative). *Good* homeopaths will tell you to stay away from the really high numbered dosages for little ones (the "M's", etc.) b/c they work on a really deep level and you want to start with a "light" (loosely used, since they're all really vibrational energy) dose to see if that works before moving up a level.

My closing advice is to find a qualified *classical* homeopath; those are the ones more likely to specialize in and have a thorough understanding of the field and will explore single remedy solutions before mixing-and-matching stuff.

Warmly,
Michelle in NY - mom to ds (5) and dd (11 months)
#10 of 16 Old 06-03-2003, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle1k
Yes, I think it is time to find another homeopath!

My closing advice is to find a qualified *classical* homeopath; those are the ones more likely to specialize in and have a thorough understanding of the field and will explore single remedy solutions before mixing-and-matching stuff.
How do you know if they are classical? Is there a referral site or something?

Thanks,
Jennifer

#11 of 16 Old 06-03-2003, 10:58 PM

I would just ask them straight when you call for an appt. and if they don't know what you are talking about, you have your answer!

Warmly,
Michelle - mom to ds (5) and dd (11 months)
#12 of 16 Old 06-05-2003, 12:02 AM

Here is a link to find a classical homeopath:

http://www.homeopathy-cures.com/html...omeopaths.html
#13 of 16 Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gilnikche
Here is a link to find a classical homeopath:

http://www.homeopathy-cures.com/html...omeopaths.html
Thanks!

#14 of 16 Old 07-17-2003, 04:18 PM

THANKS.

I have struggled with Depression my whole life. I am studying PPD a lot before I even get pg cause I understand how high a risk i am at.

I will not take my Rx medication while TTC or pg or BFing. So I am glad to hear about the natrual options.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#15 of 16 Old 07-17-2003, 04:34 PM

ITA w/ Michelle re Sepia being right for you because of your constitution. Sepia does nothing for my PPD, but I am taking Lycopodium ( as prescribed by my homeopath) and it is working just as well as Paxil did (wich I took for a year). I truely believe also that homeopathy can work well for PPD, I would just urge people to see a trained homeopath rather than self-prescribing.
#16 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 01:47 PM

I love discussions about homeopathy! It’s my favorite “thing”. I have to agree with Michelle – homeopathy is very individual thing. Unlike western medicine where one drug is given to all people with the “same” problem, this is the exact opposite. It just proves that everyone is different, even if you all suffer with PPD, you all are still totally different. Homeopathy as Michelle said correctly is “Vibrational medicine”. It works on energy level and it gives your body information how to heal itself! That’s why it is totally safe for anyone or any age or species… It’s fantastic thing. Bach flower remedy works on the same principle. I have some wonderful books about homeopathy and I recommend one for every family. Any kind – I like Homeopathic remedies by Asa Hershoff, where you can find pretty much anything, even depression. Homeopathy is so cheap and so effective! I just love it! It has changed my life…
Good luck to you all! You are on the right path…………

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page