Safe anti-anxiety/anti-depressant during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-16-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I'd love some advice. I have been on Paxil for about 18 mos, and was on it a few years ago when I got pregnant with my daughter. I weaned off it early on in the pregnancy and didn't take it again until she was about 2 years old. Now we are TTC again and I really don't think I can go off of it, mostly because I am so anxious about TTC because we just had a miscarriage. I feel like I need to be on something, but I am really nervous about Paxil, given the recent studies showing it can be dangerous in pregnancy. My question: does anyone know of an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant that is safe (or at least safer than Paxil) during pregnancy that is as effective as Paxil? I'm assuming that if a drug is safe during pregnancy that it's also safe to take while breastfeeding, but if not, I'd definitely be interested in knowing what is safe while nursing too.

Thanks so much,
Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-16-2007, 07:47 PM

hi , I have read that zoloft is safe during pregnancy.....i have known a few moms who used it and their kiddos were / are beautiful and fine...
#3 of 4 Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 PM

I am also pregnant and take pharmaceutical grade fish oil for depression. Fish oil works with the seritonin in your brain much like the drugs do. I am having great success with it and highly recommend it. Just have to make sure you take a large enough dose to get the effect and make sure it's quality. Besides helping with depression it's great for developing babies brains and is completely safe for you and baby during and postpartum.
#4 of 4 Old 02-17-2007, 12:41 AM

Zoloft is considered the safest while nursing, I take Celexa myself. Just take the lowest dose you can while pregnant so the baby doesn't go through withdrawal after they are born.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page