rapid weight loss on effexor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm a repeat PPD mama (had severe PPD and anxiety after the birth of my first child, anticipated PPD with this baby as well and, as expected, got it pretty bad) and i took effexor xr 75mg in combination with diet and natural remedies during my first case of PPD.

i took it from 10/05 until 04/06 when i got pregnant again, then stopped because the pregnancy regulated me out and i felt fine (not to mention, effexor hasn't been widely studied in pregnant women so i didn't want to take any chances) but i had one very disturbing side effect while i DID take it -- i lost weight, and very rapidly. enough that it hurt my milk supply and i was forced to use domperidone and a cocktail of herbal remedies to produce enough for my DS.

i just got another prescription for effexor today at my six week postpartum appointment and really want to start the treatment (i'm in a pretty bad place emotionally right now) but i'm worried about the rapid weight loss again and wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this while BFing and taking effexor? did it affect your milk production?

i'm hesitant to try another anti-depressant since i've had such bad reactions to almost everything else on the market (literally, i've tried at least a half-dozen different medications and the others available in the US are contraindicated to breastfeeding) and i can't risk being unstable when i have two babies depending on me.

i'm also somewhat concerned with the passage of the effexor into my breastmilk. right now it seems that hale and a few other sources are calling it okay and safe but does anyone have any updated studies or findings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 AM

The data that I have seen shows some concern and recommendation for close monitoring, and the ruling favorite seems to be Zoloft.

What have you taken before that caused you problems? And what problems did you have?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootSnort View Post
The data that I have seen shows some concern and recommendation for close monitoring, and the ruling favorite seems to be Zoloft.

What have you taken before that caused you problems? And what problems did you have?
zoloft made me manic, paxil and celexa (both at two different doses, lower first and increased later) didn't make any significant change in my depression, wellbutrin exacerbated my anxiety but helped the depression, and way, way back in high school before the recommendation for prozac was lifted for teens, i took prozac and it also caused severe manic episodes.

long story short, effexor is really the only drug that has helped at all. i'm thinking i might only need 37.5mg because my diet and natural treatments are really helping a lot, i just hope i don't have another rapid weight loss.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM

i had rapid weight loss on it. i did not eat at all after the first few doses. can you maybe force yourself to eat and drink tons of water? thats the only way i would think you could keep your milk supply up.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

Rapid weightloss, eh? Maybe I should try Effexor.

I also had bad reactions to other anti-depressants. Zoloft turned me into a zombie, Paxil made me freak out and try to cut into my sinuses with a scalpel the first day I was on it, and Wellbutrin turned me into a paranoid lunatic. I went off the Wellbutrin a few days ago after an incident of freaking out and taking Saffron to the ER over a COLD. I was convinced she had RSV and was going to die. From the way I was acting I'm suprised nobody called family services on me. Wellbutrin also caused weight loss in me and I think I was starting to get addicted because of that.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
Rapid weightloss, eh? Maybe I should try Effexor.

I also had bad reactions to other anti-depressants. Zoloft turned me into a zombie, Paxil made me freak out and try to cut into my sinuses with a scalpel the first day I was on it, and Wellbutrin turned me into a paranoid lunatic. I went off the Wellbutrin a few days ago after an incident of freaking out and taking Saffron to the ER over a COLD. I was convinced she had RSV and was going to die. From the way I was acting I'm suprised nobody called family services on me. Wellbutrin also caused weight loss in me and I think I was starting to get addicted because of that.
wellbutrin did the same thing to me, basically. i was convinced i was terminally ill and i had the worst agoraphobia EVER. my anxiety level was through the roof.

i know a lot of people aren't fond of effexor and it's a pain to wean off of it, but it has really helped me a lot.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post
i had rapid weight loss on it. i did not eat at all after the first few doses. can you maybe force yourself to eat and drink tons of water? thats the only way i would think you could keep your milk supply up.
yeah i'm drinking tons of water and considering a galactagogue if it drops. so far, so good. it's day three and i have no appetite to speak of but i've forced myself to eat a few healthy snacks and decent meals so i'm hoping everything goes well. i've already lost five pounds which i can't honestly say i'm upset about. i could stand to lose a few more, just not so quickly it hurts my milk production.

User Tag List