when is best time to take Zoloft? Day or Nite? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my doc just prescribed me zoloft and i am wondering when is best time of day to take it? Morning or Nite?

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 07:02 PM

If it makes you sleepy, try taking it at night - and vice versa. Best wishes and I hope you start feeling better!
#3 of 13 Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I take it in the am, but I don't really think it matters when you take it. Like the PP said, if it makes you sleepy, take it at night. For some people, it makes them jittery at first, so they take it in the morning. Both the drowsiness and the jitteriness will go away after a few weeks so it won't matter by then when you are taking it. Do it when it will be easiest for you to remember.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#4 of 13 Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM

I take it at bedtime. It really knocks me out. I have been taking it since November 2006 and it still makes me very sleepy.

I hope it helps you feel better soon.
#5 of 13 Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 PM

Whenever you prefer!
#6 of 13 Old 04-19-2007, 12:04 AM

I was on it for like 5 or 6 years for long standing clinical depression before TTC number one.

I took it BOTH am and PM -- the normal dose was split for me.

it was more calming for me.

something to think about --

if your DC nurses less at night -- I'd do it before bed and after nurseing for the "last time" (like if you know you will have 4 or 5 hours). Or if you have an "all night nurser" maybe you could take it after the Breakfast nurse?

I know it is safe for BF -- but still if there is a way to reduce the exposure -- why not try it?

AImee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#7 of 13 Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM

I take it at bedtime (or after the evening meal). It does still make me a bit drowsy, and I also want to limit the amount DS gets in the breastmilk (and he doesn't usually nurse at night anymore).
#8 of 13 Old 01-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Hi, My husband is currently on the Theordore Roosevelt.
WE have something in common :-)
I have 2 children ages 2 and 5 and I am currently on zoloft, although I think it makes me tired, so I am not taking it this morning, and going to skip this morning's dose and instead take it after dinner this evening and see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
I was on it for like 5 or 6 years for long standing clinical depression before TTC number one.

I took it BOTH am and PM -- the normal dose was split for me.

it was more calming for me.

something to think about --

if your DC nurses less at night -- I'd do it before bed and after nurseing for the "last time" (like if you know you will have 4 or 5 hours). Or if you have an "all night nurser" maybe you could take it after the Breakfast nurse?

I know it is safe for BF -- but still if there is a way to reduce the exposure -- why not try it?

AImee
#9 of 13 Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 AM

I hope it works for you.

If the depression does not impvoe, or you can't make it work. PM and I will tell you what else i have taken and how it effected me.

everyone is differnt,

I hope it helps.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#10 of 13 Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

Mmm. Interesting....I was told it peaks in about 8-10 hours from taking it. Maybe I totally misunderstood what was said to me.

Either way, I agree with trying to reduce intake. I take mine in the AM, because DS nurses the least during the day, but a lot at night. That way the closer we get to morning, the least meds are running through my body.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#11 of 13 Old 02-03-2008, 01:02 AM

Just one more thing to consider. Zoloft makes me drowsy, and I cosleep with dear babe. I'm only on 50 mg, so it's not likely it would knock me out cold, but I don't like taking it at night knowing I'll be more drowsy while sleeping beside him. I fear I won't be as alert. Just my own paranoia...

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#12 of 13 Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 AM

I take mine in the morning. I think that's what the doctor told me to do, and it seems to work well for me.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#13 of 13 Old 02-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It does peak about 7 hours after you take it.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page