Thyroid Problems or PPD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been felling off. I thought I would get make to my happy old self again after my baby was born, but it just hasn't happened. I'm still harmonal and tend to get angry with my toddler and I am emotional. I haven't lost any hair and it's been 4 months and I've gained 5 pounds after only losing 20 of the 65 I gained. I scored a 40 on the PPD quiz except I got one of the red one, but it was the obsessive thing, but I have OCD so I don't think it's the same. I do occassionally thing about hitting (like spanking in anger) my toddler, but I don't, I walk away. This isn't out of nowhere though, she is a VERY spirited child, and will screams and hit me. I just always feel frazzled. Is this how I'm suppost to feel after having 2 kids or is this something worse? If I remain well fed, well rested and dd1 isn't in one of her "moods" then I'm ok, not perfectly happy like I used to be but ok.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#2 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 AM

I would consider going to the doctor to get on something. It can make a HUGE difference in your life.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#3 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 10:03 AM

To rule out thyroid issues, have your doc check your TSH and free T4 levels (both are important to know) or refer you to an endocrinologist for those tests; I have hypothyroidism myself, and if you're not getting the meds you need for something like that, it can definitely affect your physical and mental wellbeing. If that's not the issue, then at least your doctor will be aware of your feelings and help you determine what's at the root of it.

Good luck and God bless!
#4 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 06:28 PM

You sound much like I did after my second birth. I just typed the following in another post and will link it here in case there is a nugget of help:

http://http://www.mothering.com/disc...91#post8429891

nak...let me know if this link doesn't work and I'll copy it here.
#5 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM

I would definately look into your thyroid before starting any treatment. I suffered with hypoactive thyroid for a long time and it does cause irritability, mood swings, weight gain, and a whole host of other things that just make you feel like you don't want to be in your own skin. It is really treatable and if that's the issue, you can see how you feel and if you still feel down can look into addressing issues realted to mood.

Your thyroid was likely checked at your 6week pp visit. Insist they retest as it is a pattern that ones thyroid levels decrease (toward hyeractive end) immediately following birth and then rebound (toward the hypoactive end) approximately 3 months after birth. Like the previous post said, ask for your TSH and free T4 levels.

I hope you find some relief soon!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#6 of 14 Old 06-22-2007, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support. I made an appointment with a doctor for tomorrow. My doc was out sick, so I got someone else. I never did have any blood work done after the birth. My homebirth midwives never had me get any. My CNMs never asked for anything either they were to caught up with my abnormal pap and my biopsy that followed (low grade, non cancerous). I also had dh watch the kids today, both of them, and went out for some alone time. Then I had my mom watch my oldest and had more alone time with my baby and dh. I was happy today. I didn't yell, get frusterated, it was a really good day. I need to take better care of myself.

I'm going to start doing a bible study, I bought some Omega 3's, and I'm going to up my gym time from 2 to 3 times a week. With all that and going to the doctor to have bloodwork done, I'm hoping to feel better soon. I also went and signed dd1 up for tot-nastic (a 6 week program through our rec center) and I'm looking into some sort of preschool (which I don't know how I'll afford). My thoughts are that if I can get her more involved then maybe she will give me a break and not be some hard on me. She thinks she is an adult, the whole potty training to be a BIG girl gave her a huge ego, but I can complain about this in the parenting forum

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#7 of 14 Old 06-22-2007, 04:40 PM

You may also want to check to see if yuo are deficient in iodine...it can affect thyroid function...I was having thyroid probs from this, but am not since taking care of that...BTW, I'm not usually in this forum--just saw your post. Feel free to pm me if this is part of the problem

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#8 of 14 Old 06-23-2007, 01:56 PM

I just wanted to add, in addition to all the other wonderful suggestions... that yes, it IS hard having two, it wipes me out on a regular basis and sometimes leaves me wondering what the HE** was I thinking?? I'm told it will get better, but hopefully you can also make some other changes too and that they will help!
#9 of 14 Old 06-26-2007, 02:21 PM

hope the Dr goes well... but yes - thyroid can effect depression.. and i choose to treat my thyroid condition (i'm Hypo) while in counceling before trying other medications.. it helped some but i wonder if the other meds would have helped me more while getting my thyroid around (it took nearly a year after birthy to get my thyroid "normal" again)

s:

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#10 of 14 Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccalou79 View Post
To rule out thyroid issues, have your doc check your TSH and free T4 levels (both are important to know) or refer you to an endocrinologist for those tests; I have hypothyroidism myself, and if you're not getting the meds you need for something like that, it can definitely affect your physical and mental wellbeing. If that's not the issue, then at least your doctor will be aware of your feelings and help you determine what's at the root of it.

Good luck and God bless!

I, too, have hypothyroidism, discovered about 4 months ago. I agree with what she said: Make sure to get your thyroid checked out. Since going on synthetic-thyroid hormones my life has done a huge turn-around!
#11 of 14 Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 AM

I have hyperthyroidism and have been on medication since my daughter was about 4months, so I guess 8 months. The past couple of weeks I have been feeling so so low. Today I lay on the floor and stared at the ceiling and felt completly useless, I couldn't bring myself to do anything. I felt so depressed and I had wondered if it was my thyroid as my most recent test from last week shows I have swung the other way and am going hypo. They have adjusted my medication but the doctors never talk to me and explain anything. So, I guess I am wondering if this is my thyroid or ?

I have been binge eating as well. I almost thought I was pregnant again because I have been putting on weight and wanting to eat chocolate.

Mother to six year old Violet and two year old Lincoln.

#12 of 14 Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Does anyone know if TSH levels should be the same for a nursing woman as anyone else? Does anyone know what levels indicate a problem with your thyroid?
#13 of 14 Old 06-28-2007, 05:07 PM

In my case, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when dd was 5 months old. Leading up to that diagnosis, however, I was not feeling depressed... instead, I was just feeling absolutely exhausted/fatigued. Really unbelieveable exhaustion. Since it was my first baby, I just assumed it was a normal first-time mother fatigue from breastfeeding & a new baby.

But if you feel depressed, definitely get your thyroid levels checked and ruled out (as many pp suggest) so that you can then address any PPD.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#14 of 14 Old 06-29-2007, 09:04 PM

I have a slow thyroid and ppd that I am being treated for. It is hard with 2 at first. It does get better though. Then as we were in a good routine we had #3!!! It has been tough but we are managing. The ppd can be really draining. I get angry with mine and it is tough to get thru a day sometime. I suggest you see the dr and get your thyriod tested and mention how you are feeling. I am on zoloft and I am nursing and there is no problem with that. So there are some things you can take if you are nursing.

I hope that you start feeling better. It is tough but talking helps and the meds will work wonders for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page