Only while nursing - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read something in Alternative MEdicine magazine that said that if you take too much Omega 3 without balancing it with Omega 6 or 9 or something like that, it can cause I think it said high blood pressure, thin skin, and I can't remember what else. If you want the info please email me. amyphilo@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 72 Old 08-31-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradysMom View Post
could we have that website address so maybe we could flood him with "education" - what an ass!
http://www.drjacknewman.com/

Jack Newman
drjacknewman@sympatico.ca
#63 of 72 Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM

i'm late finding this thread, but you can count me in! it's getting better after 4 mos of bfing but i still get it. i'm going to an endocrinologist in a few weeks because my prolactin is very low and my thyroid levels are low- i wonder if that has something to do with it?
#64 of 72 Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 AM
Banned

I talked to my doctor about "safe" meds to take for anxiety attacks while BF, and he'd initially suggested Lexapro, but did some research and told me he wasn't comfortable prescribing it while I was still BFing.

So, I have basically been dealing with the anxiety issue without meds for now. I've told myself that if I get to a point where I'm not able to function (i.e. leave the house) for more than 24 hours, I would have to consider an alternative, such as supplementing or something that would allow me to take medication.

So far, I've not had to cross that bridge...but I think that letting myself off the hook has helped some.
#65 of 72 Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have been doing a lot better without meds or anything, just knowing that everything's okay and I'm not alone but lately it's been worse, much worse. I'm dealing with an unhappy (demanding) bidder on ebay, and I have always been ultra sensitive to criticism and bullying. Also, we couldn't afford our mortgage OR car payment this month and had to borrow from my parents which I hate doing. My mother's health is a constant worry as well. I don't see things getting better anytime soon, so I'm on the verge of tears nearly every feeding and often in between. I'm feeling very not in control and (I don't know if I'm allowed to post this here) often tempted to return to certain self-injurious behaviors from my past because of the feelings of control and release I got from that. I'm ashamed to admit that because it's so not healthy and not helpful and I'm A Big Girl Now So It's Time To Grow Up.:
#66 of 72 Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooney View Post
I have been doing a lot better without meds or anything, just knowing that everything's okay and I'm not alone but lately it's been worse, much worse. I'm dealing with an unhappy (demanding) bidder on ebay, and I have always been ultra sensitive to criticism and bullying. Also, we couldn't afford our mortgage OR car payment this month and had to borrow from my parents which I hate doing. My mother's health is a constant worry as well. I don't see things getting better anytime soon, so I'm on the verge of tears nearly every feeding and often in between. I'm feeling very not in control and (I don't know if I'm allowed to post this here) often tempted to return to certain self-injurious behaviors from my past because of the feelings of control and release I got from that. I'm ashamed to admit that because it's so not healthy and not helpful and I'm A Big Girl Now So It's Time To Grow Up.:
Me too me too me too

We are in the midst of absolute stress and chaos in our family right now, and though the bfing/let down thing had been SO much better is reared it's ungly head again. It makes me wonder about what hormones are really involved? Why did it get worse when life got harder if it was JUST about oxyocin?

I also have a history of self-mutilation as well as eating disorders and other compulsive behaviors (hey, nobody's perfect) and I have been working very hard at channeling the stress appropriately. I could cry at the drop of a hat as it is and with negative breastfeeding emotions on top of it all, it's a lot to handle.

I personally am not considering meds, I don't think they would do much good in this case since the real cause of this particular come and go "depression" is unknown. Instead, I am trying to make sure I get time to decompress, get as much rest as I can, exercise ect to combat it, as well as combating life in general.

Also to channel the compulsion I am diving head first into a new project that keeps me focused on something else and motivates me (not like I don't have enough on my plate but I needed something new and exciting.) Anything that doesn't affect my family negatively (like 'checking out', constantly screaming, or constantly crying) is an option!
#67 of 72 Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh. Need some affirmation. From someone not related to me.
#68 of 72 Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooney View Post
Ugh. Need some affirmation. From someone not related to me.
How ya' doin' these days mama?
#69 of 72 Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 AM

I've made some real groundbreaking discoveries with this concerning myself that may help others. I can type it up and share if anyone is still interested!
#70 of 72 Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM

Bumping for new mamas
#71 of 72 Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM

I wanted to let anyone know who was still following this that as I worked as typing up my personal experience thus far I started doing some research. And as a CLC I was able to hook up with a major breastfeeding guru who took a BIG interest in the problem and got two other big *published* breastfeeding guru's on board. Their interest seems so strong, not because it was just me, but because of the threads here, where SO many mothers stepped forward admitting their feelings. They realize it is very possibly a wide spread problem that has yet to be addressed with breastfeeding mothers. We have been emailing a lot this week and getting some blood tests done and talking to some other med professionals, including a endocrinologist who specializes in hormones. I am not sure how far it will all go, or were it will lead, but if you would like to be "in the know" as thing developed, please PM me, as it will all be too lengthy to continue posting. And any other moms who still or in the past, struggled with the problem, I would love to have your contact information. If we come to any conclusions as to the cause we may want to "interview" other mothers who have experienced it in order to make any research more credible to the lactation community.

here is a link to my blog. Some mothers from the threads pertaining to this problem have been quoted (without names.) If you wish your quote to be added or removed, please lmk.

http://emotionalletdown.blogspot.com/
#72 of 72 Old 04-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Bump for new mamas! Take a look at this new thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page