Going off Celexa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-23-2003, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mommas!! My name is Tuesday, I just joined this group a bit ago, referred from amitymama boards

<sigh>
I have been on 40mg of Celexa since my daughter was 5/6 weeks old for PPD, and she will be 2 next month. I really would like to wean off of it before I need to have my refill ( I have 4?5? pills left) I called the OBGYN today to ask how he wants me to go off, but never got a call back @@...

so, is it safe to wean myself off, you think? How would you start? Would you just wait until next month? I just have wanted to off of it for a few months now, and I am so nervous of the repurcussions...*am I cured*, * will I get depressed again* etc.etc...as pathetic as that may sound :

What would you mommas do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-24-2003, 06:27 PM

Welcome, mama. Weaning off meds is one of those things that I wouldn't recommend you do on your own. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that your ob is still prescribing your meds and that she hasn't sent you to a psychiatrist in the last two years. I just weaned off Zoloft about 5 or 6 weeks ago to get pregnant. My pdoc asked me if I had ever missed pills in the past and how it had affected me. I had, but I never noticed a darned thing when I did. Some people feel "off," some feel sick, there are lots of ways people can react. I never noticed a thing. The only way I ever knew I missed one was that I would think "did I take that today and count my pills and realize I hadn't taken it that morning. I just waited till the next morning to take it again. He told me that I would likely wean off very easily then. He told me to cut my 50mg dose in half for five days then stop altogether (note, I was on Zoloft.) It worked great for me and the only side effect I felt was occasional lightheadedness, mainly when I was sitting. Of course I was already pregnant at the time and it could have been that also.

Some people have to take a month or more to wean off their meds to avoid all the side effects. That is why it should only be done under a doctor's supervision. Try to get in touch with them again. They should be able to give you a sample so you don't have to fill a full script to wean.

Good luck, keep us posted on how you are doing.
#3 of 4 Old 07-24-2003, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jish!!
I am stilllll waiting for the call back...LOL.

I will wait and discuss it with him before beginning the wean...I just get discouraged sometimes, kwim? LOL...(maybe that's a sign to stay on ROFL j/k)

I just want to get rid of the things in my body...I mean, I don't smoke, do drugs, don't even take so much as an aspirin or ibuprofen, so this whole PPD diagnosis and prescription for meds threw me for a loop...I was so desperate to feel better though, that I didn't look into alternatives, looking back I wish I had...but, then again, I have battled with depression all my life...so...who knows...I'm rambling LOL.

Thanks momma...and I'll keep you posted...

BTW...fixed the siggy LOL
#4 of 4 Old 07-25-2003, 01:17 PM

Just wanted to say good luck with the weaning!!

Lut us know how it goes!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page