Dietary sources of Inositol - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-13-2006, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the website that one of the ladies listed (battling to find her mail in that thread now), and made a summary for my own uses of the dietary sources of Inositol. I react strongly to what I eat and my ppd is relatively mild so I am just upping my dietary inositol vs taking the supplement which is anyhow hard to find in my area. I am finding that it is helping me to do this.

Here is my summary in case anyone else wants to try this, or feels as I do that supplements 'take' best when taken with a diet that includes the active ingredients in order to cue the body.

The good news is that Inositol seems to survive freezing, cooking and canning. The numbers used below are the coding that the researchers Clements and Darnell use and give an idea of relative Inositol content of ordinary portions of food. This is my own rough and reduced summary of their more detailed tables.

In the super group (200 plus) are grapefruit, orange, mandarin orange, cantaloupe, great northern beans, kidney beans, English peas, stone ground wheat, rutabaga.

In the really high group (100 - 200) green beans, pole beans, lima beans, split peas, blackeyed peas, wax beans, limes, blackberries, artichokes, okra, kiwi fruit, nectarines

In the high group (50-100) mango, prunes, potatoes, pumpkin, soya beans, carrots, peaches, pears, watermelon, cherries, apricots, acorn squash, white kidney beans, pinto beans, butter beans, peanut butter, eggplant, brussels sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, peppers, collards, tomatoes, zucchini

In the medium group sit other fruit and veg and nuts and grains, and in the really low group (often lower than 10) sit meats and fish.

However, many foods which my educated guess suggests may be high in inositol, such as alfalfa sprouts, spirulina and wheatgrass juice, do not seem to me to have been tested by these researchers as yet.
#2 of 2 Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much for posting that info on foods high in inositol. I have not yet come across a nice list like that. I do find it a good idea to supplement with inositol if the need for it is there, but the foods would be great to add into your diet as well. I found inositol online where I get my supplements, so that would make it easier if it's difficult to find in your area. I get all of my supplements online now since I can get better deals that way anyway. But thanks again for the list. It looks quite easy to up your intake of inositol, which is great especially if you don't really need a full supplement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page