Is feeling Angry Apart of PPD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Mamas ~

Has anyone ever experienced Anger as a part of PPD? I am embarressed to post this but I have to know....

I have never been an angry person ESPECIALLY at my son. I had never even raised my voice at him until after my dd was born 10 weeks ago. I feel terrible and guiltly. I am so tired and trying to do the best that I can.... but I sometimes snap at my little guy.... ooooo... it breaks my heart just thinking about it!

I have been working so hard on stopping it before I get the words out... but with my new little one crying and my ds yelling at me at the same time... it just gets to me... Man... I do not like this side of myself! PLease help me! Is this apart of PPD????

I have to add.... my poor dh.... I haven't been myself towards him either.

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#2 of 14 Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am sure anger is part of it; on the Scientology tone scale, anger is a higher tone than despair, so it is a sign you are improving.
#3 of 14 Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 PM

It is for me. But sometimes, anger is a mask for another emotion. Sometimes I will feel "angry" when really it is sadness underneath and anger is how I'm expressing it.
#4 of 14 Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yup, anger can definitely be a part of depresson. For me, it was when I was just BARELY holding myself together, then something little went wrong and I'd just blow up in anger, completely out of proportion to whatever actually triggered the anger. Or I'd burst into tears- screaming and cursing or crying were equally possible.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 14 Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamas sooooo much for your responses! It makes me feel not so alone. I am trying so hard to sort through how I am feeling and just coming to real terms with it. Plus, my dh has no clue of what I am feeling which makes me feel so much more alone.

MilkTrance ~ what you said really hit home with me as I was reading it! I feel that is definintely what is going on inside!

Ruthla ~ yes! This is totally what is happening to me right now! When it is towards my dh, he just blows up back at me..... makes me feel like 'I'm" the monster and our family is hurting all because of me.

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#6 of 14 Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
Ruthla ~ yes! This is totally what is happening to me right now! When it is towards my dh, he just blows up back at me..... makes me feel like 'I'm" the monster and our family is hurting all because of me.
me, too : :
#7 of 14 Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 AM

Have you read the book I Wasn't Expecting This? You can get it on Amazon. Mine just came in the mail and I have been reading through it. It is a BIT dated (published in the 90's) but it is so far, very helpful. It also has a chapter for husbands/partners to read, and DH said he would read it to understand me a bit more.
#8 of 14 Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For me too anger was totally a sign of depression. Infact, I was amazed at how much meds could take the edge off my feelings of rage. Are you getting any support? Counselling? Doing any self-care?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#9 of 14 Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again mamas for ALL the great responses!!! I relaly appreciate it sooo much. Today was a better day! I really think that is was a better day because for the first time I didn't feel alone on what I am going through right now! So THANK YOU!!

mistmama ~ oh mama... this is the hardest part! I already feel terrible and them my dh who is my biggest support makes me feel so bad inside! I know that he doesn't realize it completely... but how could he ... right?

Great book suggestion! thank you MilkTrance!

Emese'sMom ~ I have considered going to talk with someone. However, it is so hard where I live. I live in a very small county/farming community. Everyone knows everyone and I would be so afraid of really opening up. Plus my dh is in the public eye for his career. The nearst large city is a 45 min drive....
I would tell my family, but they judge me way too much and would just make me feel worse. Self help??? I am trying to work on myself daily as best as I can.
However, I am considering starting Zoloft.

#10 of 14 Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Absolutely!

This was one of the biggest reasons I started taking Zoloft. I also had extreme anxiety (could not stay still).
#11 of 14 Old 11-10-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you gilnikche!

I really appreciate your post mama! How long did it take for the zoloft to help? How old was your little one when you started on it?

Thank you again mama!

#12 of 14 Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
Thank you gilnikche!

I really appreciate your post mama! How long did it take for the zoloft to help? How old was your little one when you started on it?

Thank you again mama!
It started helping within a couple of days. I feel that I must mention that I have always been very sensitive to all medications though. My baby was 3 weeks old when I started Zoloft.
#13 of 14 Old 11-10-2007, 06:55 PM

Here is an old thread that is about the same thing:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=gilnikche
#14 of 14 Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 AM

I am right there with ya. I have started on st. johns wart and fish oil but am thinking I need more. Your not alone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page