Natural Remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2007, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would rather not take any meds for my depression. Are there any herbal remedies I can take? I've heard of St.John's Wart , though I haven't tried it and not sure what's safe to take while BF'ing. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 04:55 PM

I would be interested too if anyone has any natural options. DD is almost 1 and I still have some lingering PPD. I too am bf'ing and am concerned over safety for my nurslings.

Kim, mama to Ariadne (5), Athena (3), 2 , and due in January.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:33 AM

Two ideas:

Homeopathic for "baby blues" or depression should help and has no side effects for you or baby. Try this link for one example: https://www.newtonlabs.net/store/vie...sp?idProduct=9

If you can get ahold of any placenta pills, they can work wonders. It wouldn't be your own placenta so you'd have to take a gamble that the donor was healthy, but any midwife who makes placenta pills should know the health history of the woman she got the placenta from. I personally know women who swear by it and have taken their own placenta pills and those of others'.

I've also heard that SAM-e is supposed to be good for depression. I have no idea, though, if this is totally safe. When you need total safety, homeopathics are the way to go.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
Old 11-25-2007, 12:34 PM

I recommend Fish oil. I am not pregnant but I started fish oil over a month ago and I feel almost like a different person. I have had PPD twice before. See this link for more links on what I am taking. If I was trying to treat/prevent PPD, I would take 6-8 of these per day, now I am only taking 3.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=787500

There are no fish burps with this product and they smell like lemons. I would highly recomend getting them from iherb.com or http://www.luckyvitamin.com they will be cheaper.

Here is a product like the PP but it is especially for Postpartum women.

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/363113271966.html

here is a product you can use to lift your spirits after the baby is born

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/happy_mama_spray.html
Old 11-26-2007, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

The plecenta pills sound interesting, though I'd rather it be from my own.

I'm vegan so no fish oil.

I'll look into the rest more. Thanks so much!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
My ND feels St. John's Wort is safe while bf'ing. I don't believe there's been any research re. bf. safety. I read that research has shown it is an effective treatment in mild depression, but not for moderate or worse. (sorry no references). I'm taking it, but honestly don't feel it's making a difference. I guess the placebo effect doesn't work well in scientific types like me

The most helpful thing for me is has been getting OUTSIDE for a walk at least once a day...preferably when it's brightest. Even the struggle with the snowsuit here in the cold great white north where we all live in igloos (grin)makes it worthwhile - and babe likes it too. The best time to do so is morning or early afternoon. And research has clearly shown daylight to be a beneficial treatment (it acts on the brain's production of seritonen, which is a mood regulator) (sorry-again no reference). And it helps us get our daily dose of vitamin D. And the exercise (even if only a 5-10 min powerwalk) makes me feel like I've accomplished something that is good for me. Sometimes I'll bump into another mom and feel re-energized by even a little hello and smile.

Sleep is of course a factor too - but not always practical advice if you have a babe who's not a big sleeper!

hpoe you find something that works for you.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Actually, they're finding that the best natural remedy for PPD is exercise. When compared to antidepressants, the moms who exercised not only decreased their PPD symptoms... but they had a lower rate of relapse.

Now, when you've got PPD, sometimes the LAST thing you want to do is exercise... but I know that whenever I got myself moving, I always felt SO much better.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 PM

that is true about the exercise - I attended a seminar by Kathleen Kendall Tackett and I was amazed at what exercise and fish oil can do (not to sound like Tom Cruise LOL)
I am currently taking SJW but I dont think its meant for more than mild depression. It doesnt seem to be doing anything for me. I have an appt with a psychiatrist in a week ... I think in the meantime I will try to get 30 min of exercise a day though it is hard because as the pp said when you have ppd that is the last thing you feel like doing.

User Tag List