Eating the Placenta? Yuck! Ack! Gross! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 113 Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would a placenta from a previous birth, that has been wrapped in heavy plastic and frozen for a few years, have any benefit hormonally?

and would you be worried about eating the placenta if you were administered antibiotics during the birth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 AM

I don't know the answers to your questions, RachelSerena, but I have heard that freezing does not make any food safe to eat indefinitely. I am not sure if that is correct or not, just what I've heard - i.e. that you should not eat meat that has been in your freezer for more than a certain amount of time (some months).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#63 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelSerena View Post
would a placenta from a previous birth, that has been wrapped in heavy plastic and frozen for a few years, have any benefit hormonally?

and would you be worried about eating the placenta if you were administered antibiotics during the birth?

It is my understanding that there is no benefit in a placenta that is older than a couple days old. Like anything, the nutrients being dying immediately.
#64 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 AM

This maybe a little OT, but not completely. I read a book about a guys travels in India, true story stuff. It was his travel journal if you like. Anyway, at one point he was visiting a family whose family cow had just birthed a new calf. The cow's afterbirth (placenta) was prepared in a rice pudding and it is viewed as a great honor to be given the opportunity to share in this rare delicacy. The poor guy, he didn't really enjoy it, especially after he was able to decipher what he was eating, but reading some of the other posts here made me remember this.

As for my own placenta, I am not sure if I will consume mine or not as I am planning a lotus birth, if we use much salt I will not be consuming it.
#65 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalin24kd View Post
It is my understanding that there is no benefit in a placenta that is older than a couple days old. Like anything, the nutrients being dying immediately.
I know that nutrients are lost over time, but is the placenta really only good for a couple days? It seems like many mothers on here eat their placentas over the course of a couple weeks, with good results. I would agree that nutrient loss occurs, but surely there are benefits for longer than a couple days?

Thanks for the replies everybody. Usually the threads I start only last 1-2 pages, so I'm excited to see this many people replying to my question. Very interesting. I like that there are many different ways to eat the placenta - raw, cooked, encapsulated. It seems like most of you ate it raw. For those that cooked it, do you think you had as good results as those who ate it raw?

In case you are wondering about my sig., I am vegan for ethical reasons, to which eating my placenta would not apply. After reading all these responses, I definitely think I will try it. Now I am trying to get my husband to agree to cut it up and freeze it for me.

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
#66 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM

I thought the idea of being able to post was to bring about different opinions. This thread started with a "YUCK" and asked for responses. It was never stated that the responses needed to be positive only. Everyone is entitled to their opinion good or bad and I haven't read any post here which states that a personal choice to consume one's body product makes anyone a degenerate. It's a choice...I chose not to eat a placenta because I find it unappetizing as I find many foods that do not fit my palate. That doesn't mean that I'm bashing anyone because they find a physical or emotional benefit from doing differently.

gerlassie
#67 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerlassie View Post
I thought the idea of being able to post was to bring about different opinions. This thread started with a "YUCK" and asked for responses. It was never stated that the responses needed to be positive only. Everyone is entitled to their opinion good or bad and I haven't read any post here which states that a personal choice to consume one's body product makes anyone a degenerate. It's a choice...I chose not to eat a placenta because I find it unappetizing as I find many foods that do not fit my palate. That doesn't mean that I'm bashing anyone because they find a physical or emotional benefit from doing differently.

gerlassie

What I asked for were opinions from mothers who originally thought eating placenta was gross, but ended up doing it anyway, and whether or not it helped with PPD. So, your response was a little OT. Not a really big deal, but I think what really irked the poster who said to "keep it positive" was the poster who stated that eating the placenta is immoral. This goes beyond stating your opinion about eating the placenta, to judging people who do eat the placenta.

HTH

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
#68 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
I had mine encapsulated by a doula affiliated with my birth center. My midwife gave it to her and she dropped the capsules at my house. I think eating it made a HUGE difference for me (see my sig).
This is what I do The midwives of our local birth center let the moms know that if they want their placenta encapsulated I can do it for them. I think of it as me taking the gross part away. When I give it back to the mom it looks just like vitamins.

Swimswamswum are you in MI???
#69 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Oh I forgot to add that I have received 3 placentas from 3 different hospitals in Michigan. Some Docs will tell you that it is the hospitals say but what I have seen is that it is the Docs who lets you take it or not. All 3 of my hospital moms have told their docs what they wanted their placenta for and got it
#70 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3for_me View Post
This is what I do The midwives of our local birth center let the moms know that if they want their placenta encapsulated I can do it for them. I think of it as me taking the gross part away. When I give it back to the mom it looks just like vitamins.

Swimswamswum are you in MI???
Yup. Thanks for helping me out.
#71 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 PM

sorry, double posted, see below!
#72 of 113 Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 PM

I was very grossed out by the thought of eating the placenta...but I will be eating it for a different reason. After my friend put it to me like this, it's eaither eat some placenta, or bleed to death or transfer to the hospital (I am having an unassisted birth), I will definately eat some placenta. I will be eating it in case of hemorrhage, however, I am having a doula who will cut it up for me. I have a friend who ate it raw to stop bleeding, as she said it wasn't too bad! If it helps with the downs I usually feel after giving birth, then that would be an added plus! I also heard it does wonders for menopause. This of course, you would have to dry and grind up to make into capsules for future use!

Annah
#73 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRD View Post
I know that nutrients are lost over time, but is the placenta really only good for a couple days? It seems like many mothers on here eat their placentas over the course of a couple weeks, with good results. I would agree that nutrient loss occurs, but surely there are benefits for longer than a couple days?
Actually, it isn't so much 'nutrients' as the hormones in the placenta that are beneficial for stopping hemorrhage, preventing PPD, and easing menopause symptoms. I don't think those ever go away, making the placenta very powerful for a very long time. of course, there are other nutrients in it that are good (protein, vitamins) I'm sure. I have heard of women keeping it for several years and then making capsules, receiving the same benefit for menopause. It does seem to be the most potent immediately after birth, and raw, however.
#74 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 AM

Please forgive my postings. It appears that I have touched a nerve with a part of the community that has very different views and is not as open to discussions about things which may not be considered standard practice by many. I am sorry for expressing my views and hope I haven't seriously offended anyone about their preferences. I'm done.

gerlassie
#75 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I didn't eat it raw (kind of wish I had), but dried and encapsulated it. OK, had my partner cut up and dry and encapsulate it. I don't know if it helped, but I didn't have PPD, and I do have a history of bipolar depression, which puts me in a high risk category. I know it did something, because the day after the one day I skipped the capsules is the only time I had any bleeding after the lochia flow of the first few weeks.

Here's a link about cows eating their placenta. According to that article, humans and camels are the only placental land mammals who DON'T practice placentaphagia.

I think PPD has a lot to do with a lack of social support in this soceity, which placentaphagia does nothing for, but for the chemical component, I think it helps. Other than knowing that the placenta contains high level of nutrients and hormones, I'm not sure there is much (or any) research on the effects of placentaphagia on PPD. We're kind of out beyond research here.
horse don't eat thier placentas either

Decluttering 500/2010
#76 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Please forgive my postings. It appears that I have touched a nerve with a part of the community that has very different views and is not as open to discussions about things which may not be considered standard practice by many. I am sorry for expressing my views and hope I haven't seriously offended anyone about their preferences. I'm done.

gerlassie
I think that the part people were upset about was the judgment. Eating one's placenta is not accepted in most circles. Many of us who have done it feel that it helped tremendously and are looking for a place to share our experiences. Mothering should be a place where we can talk about this without the typical mainstream judgment. I think many folks are protective of this environment.
#77 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM

You know..my lil' one is 1 yr. We still have the frozen placenta. I did not eat it and can't now...
But if I honestly could go back, I think I would have tried it to avoid the way I feel some days...
#78 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 04:53 PM

Hi Everyone
I am really enjoying reading this debate.
I am expecting - 7 weeks ( scared and nervous) but I am also a writer based in the Uk and I write for all the reputable womens magazines and am working on stories for pregnancy magazines.

I think this is a great story and I would love to interview one or 2 women who have had the placenta encapsulated by their doula or have eaten some of the placent for the vitamin intake.

I think its fabulous.

The good news is I would be paying you for your story - $400usd for each person interviewed, I'd interview you ver the phone and we'd need some picks of you prgenant and after with new baby.

It's a chance to educate and you'd get a read back plus we would probanly aslo send out a photographer.

Please help me do an educational story

Email meat : alleynews@hotmail.com
My mobile is London 07747 825 884 or phoning from overseas is +44 7747 825 884
The fee may be higher but it depends on the magazines interest.
HELP ME EDUCATE OTHERS

I ma an ethical journalist and a member of the NATIONAL UNION OF JOURNALISTS NUJ 937 491. I can also send you sample stories

Kindest

Alley
#79 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Alley,
I think that is fantastic. I am not yet pregnant with my second and with my first it never crossed my mind, so I cannot offer up my story.
I just wanted to say I look forward to reading the stories, and expect they will be thoughtful and in no way will they put the mother down or make her out to be a freak

I think the benefits the placenta can provide are amazing, its well worth overcoming any ick thoughts for.

Decluttering 500/2010
#80 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM

I encapsulated it within 24 hours after my last baby was born on 11/19. I took the last capsule a few days ago. All I can say is-- I didn't get postpartum depression this time Admittedly, I have also been taking omega's and B vitamins, which I didn't last time around. I took several placenta pills a day in the first couple of weeks and then took one a day for the next few months. Now that I'm out of them I hope things stay stable, and I'm continuing the supplements. I can't say what the pills' effects were in themselves since I've been taking other supplements, but I know they didn't hurt and probably helped, especially in the early days. I even bypassed the "blues" I *always* got on the second or third day pp.
#81 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

gerlassie
It's not that we can't have different opinions. That's not what I was saying at all! Your post didn't offend anyone (I think); it just didn't answer my particular question. That's all I was pointing out about your post. OT = off topic. I wasn't offended at all.

Again, the post that offended some people specifically said that eating your placenta is immoral. YOU didn't say that.

I completely understand your not wanting to eat the placenta. That's how I felt when I first read about it on this forum, hence the "Yuck! Ack! Gross!" in the title. It sounds quite revolting and bizarre, when you hear about it for the first time.

I, too, do not wish to offend you.

#82 of 113 Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Hehe, I haven't had a chance to try placenta yet. And fortunately I haven't had PPD, but I sure would take it for the days I'm just down in the dumps! I still take my prenatals (which have all the Bs), so I don't think they necessarily take care of all the blues. I first read aboutit on here, and thought, ugh, but just a couple weeks ago, was musing about it and thought, "Hey, cows eat their afterbirth! Why not?" So I verified that cows do with my husband (who grew up on a ranch). I explained that women do for PPD. His response was to groan and say, "Please don't do that." So he won't be cutting it up for me. But I plan on it next time. It's my placenta, and I'll eat it if I want to!

My doctor asked if I'd wanted mine when I asked what they did with it at the hospital. She seemed a little startled.

So for me it's been education that changed my mind. I'm not vegetarian. Nor do I have any religious issues with it.

I think it might be Jehovah's Witness who would refuse placentophagy, since they refuse blood transfusions.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#83 of 113 Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
It's my placenta, and I'll eat it if I want to!

I love it! LOL!

Annah
#84 of 113 Old 02-02-2008, 01:01 AM

I delivered in a hospital (by c/s no less) and they gave me my placenta to take home. i did ask about it beforehand, since we went from a homebirth to a c/s b/c of breech position, unfortunately.

Granted it took me 7+ months to get the motivation up and get un-depressed enough to get it out of the freezer and actually dehydrate and encapsulate it. But I'm glad I did.

The hospital has to give it to you - it's part of your body.

Now, I'm going to go take a capsule, since it's still in my fridge (2 years later) and I keep forgetting about it.
#85 of 113 Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 AM

I'm late jumping on to this thread, but someone from Birth & Beyond pointed me here when I had a question about placenta smoothies. At first the idea of consuming placenta totally grossed me out, but for some reason, I've warmed up to it over the past few weeks. I would rather not swallow it raw unless I have to, but I'll be making smoothies...provided that DH is game for chopping it up! I definitely don't think I can do that myself...I can barely handle chopping raw meat, let alone one of my own organs.
#86 of 113 Old 02-09-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginmama View Post
I didn't eat it but I did dry it and encapsulate it. I'm so glad I did.

Same here. I did it with my fourth and fifth babies after having HORRIBLE ppd with my third. It was a life savers then, and I am so glad I came across this thread because I remembered that I had some of my capsules in my freezer, and I am going to have some in the morning.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#87 of 113 Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Wow, okay you have all changed my mind! Even a couple of nights ago, I thought there was no WAY I would be willing to eat placenta, but reading this thread has totally changed my perspective.

I had miserable PPD that didn't start until about 4 months PP, but lasted until DD was about 14 months +, and reading over my old journal entries, I would eat cat litter if it meant not going through PPD again!

I'm still incredibly sqiucked out by it, but I at least have a few weeks to get over it before I have to face it. If a moment of *ick* can prevent a year of being miserable, then count me in!!!

I could barely even look at the placenta after DD was born. It's terrible that something like a placenta wold gross me out so much! I think it's probably a cultural thing, and we (I) haven't learned to love it.

I'm really curious about what chemically in the placenta is so beneficial, and how it acts on the body to prevent PPD and hemorrhage. Have there been actual studies done?

Now to convince DH to help me cut it up and freeze it. Poor guy.
#88 of 113 Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
It's treated as medical waste but sometimes it's sent to pathology if the doc thinks it looks odd. Where my dh used to work, they stored and sold the placentas!

Why would they sell it? Where would it go? Just curious.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#89 of 113 Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 AM

How does one dehydrate one's placenta? Forgive me if this has been asked earlier...at what temp/how long? I'm pretty icked out by the thought, but DH is all for it!?! I guess that just about says it all... Mine's been in the freezer for 8 mos. Will that make any difference? I was totally cool with the idea of doing it all myself but read the pp that pointed out that it would be cutting my own organ and stomach is slightly queasy...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#90 of 113 Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 AM

I dried mine and encapsulated it. So glad I did. No PPD. I'd do it again if we have another. It's probably the most nourishing thing you could eat; especially post partum.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page