Eating the Placenta? Yuck! Ack! Gross! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2008, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans View Post
Why would they sell it? Where would it go? Just curious.
They're put into everything from makeup to hair creme.

http://www.carefair.com/Skincare/Pla...tics_1924.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM

OMG- That's right! I just saw something at the dollarstore.
(Sorry to hijack the thread)
Funny, how the manufacturers say:
Placenta's health benefits include anti-aging, skin revitalising, boosting immune system, improving physical vitality and promoting general well being.

benefits of placenta include:

?¤ Anti-aging
?¤ Revitalizing to the skin
?¤ Boosting the immune system
?¤ Improving physical vitality
?¤ Promoting general health
http://www.australianproducts.info/Placenta.htm

I say eat away! You're own is free and you know where it has been!!!!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:06 PM

When I heard about women eating their placenta's while I was pregnant with my first baby, I have to say I didn't quite "get" it. But after suffering through PPD I would do anything to prevent it from happening again. I just found out on Friday that I'm pregnant with baby number two. We're really excited but now I've just got to find someone who is willing to prepare the placenta for me after birth. My husband doesn't want to prepare the placenta even like hearing me talk about it but he totally supports my decision. The search is on!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 AM

Ok so I would never have considered this before but I think I will do it.
My Midwife does not offer the service of drying etc. but the assistant MW does, Can anyone tell me how much I could expect to pay for that?:
Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean30 View Post
My Midwife does not offer the service of drying etc. but the assistant MW does, Can anyone tell me how much I could expect to pay for that?:
nak. no clue but I'd so pay for this. I'm ppd and gonna have to do it myself, I'm thinkin'.:

Adding: DH just agreed to "pill" them for me. He doesn't want the kit, just someone to tell him what to do. My question is: Can you dehydrate it raw? I think I 'd prefer this, but does it need to ne cooked a bit first? Thanks! Please advise!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 02-13-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean30 View Post
I found a MW in my area who is going to come to my house, dry and encapsulate it for $250.

BTW- she didn't mention cooking it.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 PM

The mama who does it here does it for a donation of $50. It was worth wayyy more!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 02-17-2008, 04:26 PM

Do you think it would have any benefit after a c/s delivery? My OB is willing to go along with it....

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:30 PM

Oh definitely! I think it would be MORE beneficial after a c/s. When having a section you won't get all of the hormone surges you would with a vaginal delivery. I think you should go for it!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Placenta Recipes (Mothering Magazine, September 1983, Vol. 28, pg 76) Each placenta weighs approximately 1/6 of the baby's weight. Cut the meat away from the membranes with a sharp knife. Discard the membranes.

Placenta Cocktail: 1/4 cup raw placenta, 8oz V-8 juice, 2 ice cubes, 1/2 cup carrot. Blend at high speed for 10 seconds

Placenta Lasagne: Use your favorite lasagne recipe and substitute this mixture for one layer of cheese. In 2 tbl. olive oil, quickly saute meat of 3/4 placenta, ground or minced plus 2 sliced cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 diced onion & 2 tbl. tomato paste, or 1 whole tomato.

Placenta Spaghetti: Cut meat of 3/4 placenta into bite size pieces, then brown quickly in 1 tbl. butter plus 1 tbl. oil. Then add 1 large can tomato puree, 2 cans crushed pear tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbl. molasses, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbl. rosemary, 1 tsp. ea. of salt, honey, oregano, basil, and fennel. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.

Placenta Stew: Meat of 3/4 placenta in bite size chunks, 1 potato (cubed), 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 2 carrots, 3 ribs celery, 1 zucchini, 1 large tomato, 1 small onion. Dredge meat in 1 tbl. flour mixed with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp. paprika, pinch of cloves, pinch of pepper, 6-8 crushed coriander seeds. Saute meat in 2 tbl. oil, then add vegetables (cut up) and 4-5 cups of water. Bring to full boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

Placenta Pizza: Grind placenta. Saute in 2 tbl. olive oil with 4 garlic cloves, then add 1/4 tsp fennel, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. thyme, and 1/4 cup of wine. Allow to stand for 30 minutes, then use with your favorite home made pizza recipe. It's a fine placenta sausage topping.

Dehydrating your placenta

Instead of cooking your placenta whole, you can dehydrate it and then add it to meals! The following method is extracted from an article entitled "Thinking About Eating Your Placenta?" by Susan James, which appeared in the winter 1996 issue of "The Compleat Mother". It was discovered posted on a newsgroup noticeboard, so we cannot absolutely guarantee its authenticity, or that it is an actual verbatim account of the magazine article.

Method:

Cut off the cord and membranes.

Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.

Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).

Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.

Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.

The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good

:
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM

No, you don't have to cook the placenta first. If you can, get your hands on a dehydrator, cut it up raw (thinnish strips, although DP reports that's kinda hard), dehydrate, grind (I highly recommend a blade coffee grinder bought for the purpose), then encapsulate (you can buy little encapsulating "machines" that really help that go faster, although they're basically just a couple simple pieces of plastic, but worth it in my opinion).

If you CAN'T get a dehydrator (and I really wish we could have), set your oven to the VERY lowest temp it'll go, lay the strips on a cookie sheet, then cook all day with the door slightly open. The smell is kinda weird, but not unappealing. I think mine took about 6 hours?

Then grind and encap as above.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:45 PM

I would be really interested to know what, if any, difference there is in effectiveness between raw, fresh, frozen and dehyrated. I have access to a dehyrator and would prefer to ingest it that way, but if it significantly more effective fresh and/or frozen, I'll take that plunge!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hmm. What's the benefit of adding the lemongrass, ginger and pepper to the steaming water, do you know? I'm sure it'd be great for flavour, but if you're capsulising the thing it's not like you'll taste it! Do these ingredients have some medicinal value, or what?

DH is going to capsulise mine, but I'm actually edging to the point of being brave enough to maybe try *one* smoothie. Which is a huge mental step for me! We shall see...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM

i'm presently eating my encapsulated placenta.

dh is a chef and actually enjoyed doing it. he steamed it with some black pepper, fresh ginger, and some other digestive stimulants. the herbs that you steam the placenta with function as noted above, as digestive stimulants. they help the action of the placenta go into the deeper tissue layers of the body, help your body to better absorb the placenta. if you aren't steaming and going raw its a good idea to add these herbs to whatever preparation you choose.

the cooking method as opposed to raw has mainly an energetic difference - which can be very important. cooking "warms" the preparation, which i find adds an important quality especially in the winter months. generally, the body has more "vata" energy, or air and ether, after birth, that can potentially lead to anxiety, overwhelm, fear, etc. the warmer qualities from cooking will benefit these symptoms more. depression, which is generally of earth and water qualities, is inherently cool - so the warmth of steaming and drying slooowly in the oven helps with that as well. the only way i'd have eaten mine raw is if anger was a big issue, as the cooler qualities within raw foods may be helpful in cooling the anger and excess heat.

i'd take a fresh chunk right after the birth, though, to prevent postpartum hemmorhage. super effective.

charging $250 seems outrageous to me, but i'm sure it's worth it to some. it's really not that hard or time-consuming to do yourself. i've seen midwives and doulas who do it for $50-$75. it's over an hour of work, so i might pay upwards of $125, but once again, it's really not difficult to just do it yourself. also, i find tht imparting your own energy, or you dp's energy, into the cooking and capping process - energizing the formulation with all of your own love and intention - is a very important ingredient!

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
No, you don't have to cook the placenta first. If you can, get your hands on a dehydrator, cut it up raw (thinnish strips, although DP reports that's kinda hard), dehydrate, grind (I highly recommend a blade coffee grinder bought for the purpose), then encapsulate (you can buy little encapsulating "machines" that really help that go faster, although they're basically just a couple simple pieces of plastic, but worth it in my opinion).

If you CAN'T get a dehydrator (and I really wish we could have), set your oven to the VERY lowest temp it'll go, lay the strips on a cookie sheet, then cook all day with the door slightly open. The smell is kinda weird, but not unappealing. I think mine took about 6 hours?

Then grind and encap as above.

Thanks! My mom actually has an excaliber dehydrater, so I'll use that. I need to do it asap. Somehow, tho, I seem to forget as the day goes on. *Note to self: Defrost placenta. LOL

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
charging $250 seems outrageous to me, but i'm sure it's worth it to some. it's really not that hard or time-consuming to do yourself. i've seen midwives and doulas who do it for $50-$75. it's over an hour of work, so i might pay upwards of $125, but once again, it's really not difficult to just do it yourself.
I don't mind paying the $250, though I realize it would make it prohibitively expensive for some. I'm glad we can support a woman in her business, and honestly I just can't imagine doing it myself at this point. I bet once I see it being done I'll change my tune, but the blood, the organ itself...I need to know it'll get done and not have to worry about doing it myself...

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
charging $250 seems outrageous to me, but i'm sure it's worth it to some. it's really not that hard or time-consuming to do yourself. i've seen midwives and doulas who do it for $50-$75. it's over an hour of work, so i might pay upwards of $125, but once again, it's really not difficult to just do it yourself. also, i find tht imparting your own energy, or you dp's energy, into the cooking and capping process - energizing the formulation with all of your own love and intention - is a very important ingredient!
I so agree.

Steaming is a good idea.
I am trying to visualise under what prep methods could I eat placenta. I could not put it in spagetti or lasagna or soup. For some reason that makes my stomach want to turn over.
I can see myselfing eat a raw bite after birthing. A smoothie with some ginger, cayenne, lemon might be tasty, or a fruit smoothie.

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 AM

I like checking this thread periodically.

I have an update- I have officially passed the point when PPD has kicked in (after 5 births) and I still have some capsules left. In the beginning I "craved" a dose every few hours, and it occurred less and less over time, i am now "craving" one every 6-8 days. I have probably ten doses left and I think I can say without a doubt that it worked, it's amazing. I feel wonderful- This is the first time I've had a baby and NOT had some form of PPD, it's also the first winter I've had in many many years without any depression.

This stuff rocks, and I made it.

I bought my dehydrator for 2.99 at Goodwill and the coffee bean grinder from Goodwill for $3.99 and the encapsulating setup from some website that sells herbs and nutritional supplements, it's the EZcapsulemaker or something. The whole setup was about $25. Since then I've seen it cheaper on ebay. the capsule size I got was 00 and my placenta made about 180. I steamed it with a whole jalapeno, a ginger root, and a lemon. the website I read that on said that in ancient chinese medicine, those ingredients would intensify the effects. They didn't tell me how much to use, so I guessed- the jalapeno made like a pepper-spray feeling in the air, so I had to open all my windows in December. The recipe said to cut it into strips, but I cut it into teeny cubes so it would dry faster. the drying didn't make a smell, i was prepared to move the dehydrator to the garage if it did. the concoction was very hard to wash off of my pan. the meat took way longer to cook than the directions said it would.

SO- I screwed it all up and it still worked.

if we ever have another (and we don't plan to) I want to try dicing it into teeny pieces and freezing them on a cookie sheet individually, moving them to a ziploc baggy when they're done (so they don't stick together)- the capsules are good on-the-go (not like I ever go anywhere- so no stir crazy cabin fever here, i am content which isn't typical for me PP) but i just think raw foods are generally better.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM

Hey, not sure if this was already discussed - but does anyone think that some of the effects of eating the placenta are passed on to the breastfeeding infant? I am assuming at least some would pass through breastmilk, and wondering what effects that might have on the baby...I'm having visions of less tendency to colic, better sleep....who knows?

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM
EMS

I know this is an old thread, but was hoping I could revive it to ask a question. Would anyone be willing to share their story about eating the placenta--whether it helped or not, how you consumed it, etc--for an article I'm working on? I'm happy to change name and identifying details if you'd like.
Feel free to post or pm me.
Thanks so much!
Ellie

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
Raising Three Boys in Brazil ::
Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 PM

I can do it. I've already done an interview about it.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Wait! Nobody answered the question that someone asked earlier... Would you still consume it if you had an epidural?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM

I know I have seen said else where that you should not eat others placenta's but why? If I have depression and on meds and my best friend is having a home birth would it be bad to use hers? I know that is even worse then eating your own but hey if it works why not?

User Tag List