Anyone on Wellbutrin? How many mg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-26-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dr. just switched me to Wellbutrin. I have been on Prozac since DD was born almost 2 years ago. My libido is zero and she said it was from the prozac. I'm a little scared to switch after reading all the side effects. Can you tell me what your experience is on Wellbutrin and how many mg's you are on.
#2 of 13 Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM

I am currently on 300 (down from 450) and working my way down to 150. I've been on it for years and I am ready to be done.

That said, it really is the most effective drug I have ever taken for my depression. Also, unlike prozac it completely jump started my libido.

Feel free to PM or post specific questions, I am happy to talk about my experience.
#3 of 13 Old 01-26-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks you ladies.
#4 of 13 Old 01-27-2008, 01:53 AM

I'm on Prozac and TTC #2. I'm planning to ask the dr. to switch me to Wellbutrin because it is the ONE that my OB/GYN recommended if you needed one. It seems like Wellbutrin is a Class B drug - meaning the side effects are less than Prozac or Zoloft which are Class C.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#5 of 13 Old 01-27-2008, 02:38 AM

I switched from prozac to wellbutrin xl 150mg a few years ago. I have been pregnant and given birth with no problems. I really have not had any problems with side effects other than a little light headedness. It's a newer drug than Prozac so less is known about it but I know that Prozac is notorious for squelching sex drive.
#6 of 13 Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 AM

I take 300mg Wellbutrin, the extended release one so it's just once a day. I also take an SSRI, right now it's Lexapro. I prefer that over Prozac. Both together work really well. Wellbutrin isn't enough for depression for me personally, but it pretty much eliminates the bad side effects of Lexapro and helps with anxiety. Lexapro is fine for controlling my depression, but I too have zero sex drive on it, and it's not enough for anxiety for me.

Together...the combo is fabulous.
#7 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 09:13 AM

I take wellbutrin (I can't think of the dose off the top of my head) because of serious sexual side effects from both Prozac and Celexa. I'm NAMY, but my gynecologist also said that this is one that she recommends to patients who need an antidepressant when pregnant or BFing. Her opinion is that, if it's a drug that you need, pregnancy is not the time to experiment with a drug holiday; she thinks the effects of a depressed mom are far more serious and wide-reaching in terms of the kidling's development than what she's seen from antidepressant use.
#8 of 13 Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM

It's good to read that many other people are taking this with so few side effects. I'm on 300mg daily since my dd was about 15 months. I think I was dealing with some general depression but also PPD/possible PTSD associated with her birth and NICU time. Now I feel like I'm really dealing with life well most of the time and I'm starting to think about asking my doctor for a lower dosage, with plans to eventually stop altogether.
#9 of 13 Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 PM

So happy to read this thread!

I took Paxil for ppd after dd #1 &weaned off it when she was around 14 mos. Now I'm pg & quite depressed- have just started on 150mg of Wellbutrin XL.
#10 of 13 Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM

I took wellbutrin about 4 years ago. It helped my depression a little and i also lost weight while on it. I had to stop it though due to hypertension. I;m not sure if it was the wellbutrin that triggered the high blood pressure but it was never an issue before and i had no other risk factors (thin, no smoker, healthy eater etc). Just make sure you get your BP checked periodically!
#11 of 13 Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for all the replies. I have been on it for a few weeks now. I started at 75mg, then 150, then 200, and now 300. 300mg a day seem pretty good for me. My dr. said I could go as high as 400 if needed. If still not feeling extremely better to call her. So for the 300 is pretty good. I'm going to keep as this for a few more weeks before deciding to increase or not. I'm also looking into more natural ways/remedies to add with this.
#12 of 13 Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 PM

I was previously on Welbutrin SR 150mgs a day and it made me want to kill/hurt people/very irritable... So they took me off of it and I take Effexor 37.5mgs and Xanax 2 mgs daily now.
#13 of 13 Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 AM

I'm currently on Wellbutrin XL (150 mg) for almost 3 months. I was on Prozac and our sex life was ZILCH...I haven't had a "normal" desire for sometime, and the Prozac made it worse. The Wellbutrin XL on the other hand has made me feel like a BUNNY RABBITT!!!! I'm 39 and hubby is so happy that I've gotten back to the wife he had when we were first dating!!!

I had a few side effects starting the Wellbutrin, just getting used to it being in my system, but it takes 6-8 weeks to do so. I tried Effexor (sp?) at first, and that was HORRIBLE. I had migraines with 2 yr old twins and that just wasn't helping!!! The side effects of that was HORRIBLE....I didn't know if I was coming or going and I stopped it cold turkey, so you can imagine!

Hope that helps!

Take care,
God Bless,
Julie D
Gulfport, MS

Proud, Blessed Momma to Ash & AJ

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page