What are the chances it will happen again?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-21-2003, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my son I didn't even realize wht was going on until he was almost 1!

It all started when I was about 12 weeks pg with him. (again, I didn't notice till after the fact). My dh had been saying he didn't want another child because I was a different person while pg. This made me mad...of course I'm different! I'm pregnant!!

But then it was later that I realized what he meant. I was different because I had already slipped into pre-ppd (I guess...is that posible)

To make a long story short....I'm fine now and I'm 21 weeks. I don't notice it this time. I'm tired now but I'm also chasing a toddler

What are the chances I'll have ppd again?

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 4 Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 PM

I was really afraid that I would have PPD again when I was pregnant with my second. I was seeing Karen Kleiman as my therapist. She has written a book on PPD (This Isn't What I expected) and specializes in treating prenatal depression and PPD. She said there would be a 50 percent chance I would have it again. I don't know where that number came from (other than from her), so I couldn't reference it for you.

I prepared myself to have it again, saw her a few weeks postpartum, even paid to see a psychiatrist before the baby was born to talk about my experience with PPD the first time, med options, etc. In the end, I didn't end up having it. I so regret having waited so long for treatment the first time (my son was about 11 months old before I got help). I wasn't going to let that happen again.
#3 of 4 Old 09-23-2003, 12:42 AM

I had it with both my first and second, and it was worse with my second. I also have a friend who has 4 children, and has had it with every single one. That said, I don't really know what the actual statistics are.
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2003, 06:41 PM

If you have it with one, you are more likely to have it again. Not fair, but true.

The benefit is that now you know what to look for and will be able to get help much sooner. SSRI's are considered safe and compatible with breastfeeding (I will likely be doing both by next March. ) Adding the second child can be hard and you will need to be healthy for yourself and your children. Motherkins, I wouldn't feel bad about preparing yourself and seeing a pdoc beforehand. I am continuing to see my pdoc even though I am off my meds for the pregnancy. It gives me a chance to ask questions, let him know how I'm doing and it makes me feel good that he is there to help keep me honest with myself if I start to slide and go into denial. I really want to stay off the meds through this pregnancy, but I have told him that I will use him as a baromoter (sp?) and if he feels that I need the meds again, I will trust his judgement. I feel very comfortable being honest with him concerning what I'm really feeling because he has seen me at my absolute worst and knows what depression really is and doesn't judge me, he just treats and supports me.

Be honest with yourself about what you are feeling, IOF. Take care of yourself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page