Should I try some Meds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2003, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering asking my doctor about going on an antidepressant, but I'm not sure. I was wondering if anyone with similar symtoms has used meds and if they have helped. I have had a lot of trouble with motivation. What I mean is that when I get home, I don't want to do anything and really struggle just to do a sink of dishes. All I want to do is veg-out or play with my little girl. This has been going on for about a month now, and I have been fighting depression off and on, but it hasn't been too bad. In fact I hadn't even considered the fact that I might need some help to get out of this slump until today. I was talking with a fellow social worker about some of my recent issues, and she suggested I talk to my doctor and maybe try some meds. What do you all think? I haven't been angry or violent. I don't think that I have even been difficult to live with. For the most part I have just been ... blah. I have a baby that is 5 months old, and DH suggested that maybe it is PP Depression, but I don't think that you can get PP depression when they are this old. I don't know. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#2 of 4 Old 09-25-2003, 10:52 PM

Hi there, sorry you're having a case of the "blahs." It sounds from your post like you are working or going to school outside the home on top of having a very young baby?? If so, no wonder you don't want to do dishes in the evening! You must be exhausted and of course you want to spend time with your little one. Playing with a baby is way more rewarding than doing housework! And if I misread and you are a stay-at-home mom, well, then your job is not any easier and no wonder you're spent at the end of the day.

It sounds like you may be burnt out. The first thing I would recommend is trying to get some help around the house and also to remember that the dishes will still be there tomorrow if you don't do them today. IMHO, no one with a small child should be expected to keep a clean house. Seriously! Just keeping the baby happy and fed, keeping yourself fed, and sleeping when possible is beyond a fulltime job. Can you afford a housecleaner? They can come every 2 weeks to do the big jobs and then you just have to pick up along the way on occasion. Can you eat out some of the time? Then you don't have to cook so there are fewer dishes, plus it's nice to be waited on for a change! (Look for louder restaurants or family-friendly places so you don't feel so bad if your baby cries. Ethnic places are often very friendly to kids.)

I don't want to downplay the depression aspect. It could be that you need meds, but it just wouldn't be the first place I'd recommend starting. Getting out of the house for a walk, asking family to cook you some meals to freeze, getting some time just for you to take a bath or get a coffee or something -- these are good places to start when you are experiencing burnout. If it continues or gets worse, then look into seeing a counselor/therapist. My therapist is AP-friendly and is fine with moms bringing their kids with them, or maybe your DH could watch the baby while you go if you find someone close by. Also try to get involved with other moms through LLL or your church or something so you can vent/share/commiserate. I always feel soooo much better after I get a chance to be around other like-minded moms.

There is a lot expected of moms today, and when you are also a very conscientious and loving mother who wants to do a great job raising her child, it can be awfully overwhelming. You are definitely not alone! Let us know how things are going.

Carol
#3 of 4 Old 09-26-2003, 06:43 PM

My depression makes me feel very blah and apathetic. I have no motivation for anything. FYI, PPD can occur anytime in the first year, and many doctors will tell you it can occur anytime in the first two years. My didn't begin until around my ds2's first birthday.

If you do the things that EllasMama suggested and you still don't feel better, you should go to your doctor and talk with them. You can also go to the site that is stickied at the top of this forum and take the PPD self test. It will give you a pretty good idea of where you stand.

I was on meds for depression for nine months and went off of them to get pregnant. I'm doing fine now. If you start on the meds it takes up to six weeks for them to really get into your system and get you back on track, and once on them you should stay on them for at least six months to ensure that your brain chemistry gets back to normal.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please post them here. It's a great forum.
#4 of 4 Old 09-28-2003, 05:38 PM

You can get depression, before, during and after a pregnancy. Doesn't matter what they call it - depression or ppd. The cause may differ but the result, or how you feel is the same.

I often had difficulty recognizing when I was depressed. It wasn't until I was REALLY depressed that I'd go to a doctor and they'd always think I was worse than I thought I was. Meds have helped me in the past - although it'd take a few months of being on them before I would feel 'normal' enough to realise that I wasn't feeling normal before.

I found it useful to go through symptom lists. Try:
http://www.depressiondepot.net/Facts...symptoms2.html

You don't have to be sure anyway to discuss it with your doctor. If you have a good doctor, he/she should be assessing you anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page