Zoloft vs. Lexapro? Anyone used both? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone:

I was reading all the side effects of zoloft on here, but my doctor says it hasn't made anyone he knows nauseous (um, he also mostly does alzeimer's). I was on Lexapro after my second daughter was born, and did my 6 months, but the nauseousness never really went away the entire time I was on it. To the point where I was really imprisoned by my inability to get in the car without puking as opposed to having the same sort of life because of the depression... Xanax helped, but it would have helped my depression/anxiety without bothering with the lexapro.

Anyway, has anyone here has used both? Is there a difference? I am 50% better and don't really want to pull out the big guns if the side effects will be as bad for me.

Enjoying my plummet off the deep end mommy with two (2005) and (2007)
#2 of 4 Old 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmamas View Post
Hi everyone:

I was reading all the side effects of zoloft on here, but my doctor says it hasn't made anyone he knows nauseous (um, he also mostly does alzeimer's). I was on Lexapro after my second daughter was born, and did my 6 months, but the nauseousness never really went away the entire time I was on it. To the point where I was really imprisoned by my inability to get in the car without puking as opposed to having the same sort of life because of the depression... Xanax helped, but it would have helped my depression/anxiety without bothering with the lexapro.

Anyway, has anyone here has used both? Is there a difference? I am 50% better and don't really want to pull out the big guns if the side effects will be as bad for me.
for me personally, the side effects of zoloft are definitely less. i had mild nausea for about a week, and an occasional headache, and some upset stomach.

with lex, i had worse nausea, and i was dizzy, and i felt just WEIRD. but it went away, and then the only thing that lingered was the sexual side effect.

i don't seem to have the sexual stuff with the zoloft either.

everyone is different, though, as you know.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 PM

I have used both. Unfortunately, while I loved Lexapro for its affect on my anxiety, I was severely allergic to it. The only side effect I experienced began about 5 weeks after I started taking it (ironically, just when it was really WORKING). I developed hives on my arms, chest, neck and finally my face. I had itching all over my body, and ultimately, swelling around my lips. Sadly, I had to go off Lexapro and onto Zoloft. Zoloft does nothing for my anxiety, so I think I will soon be looking for something new. I have had no nausea or other side effects from either. On Zoloft, I just feel like I'm swallowing air. I hope you find something mild that works for you!
#4 of 4 Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for weighing in! I do appreciate it, as it's completely impossible to find personal experiences comparing the two on the internet. I'll hold the script for a while until I think the pros outweigh the cons for my particular situation.

Enjoying my plummet off the deep end mommy with two (2005) and (2007)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page