Is this PPD/Anxiety? Shortness of Breath - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my DD 10 days ago. It was a planned csection since she was transverse. Ended up loosing a lot of blood, needing a transfusion. I am anemic now and trying to get my iron back up.
Was realeased from the hospital on Friday and on Saturday I ended up at the ER due to shortness of breath, chocking feeling in my throat... I was sure my heart was giving up or I was having a clot in my lung. At the ER I got the works, CT Scan, EKG, Chest xray. Everything was clear. They said it was my anemia.

I am really starting to think that it might be all due to anxiety/ppd. I will get better when I am around people, entertained. At night it is awful I can hardly lay down because I cannot breath. I am sure that I am going to die and leave my family alone. I am also sure that there is something wrong with me and that all the tests just missed it - which does not make sense.

Anyway... I have never dealt with depression. The feelings of shortness of breath are very real and frightening. I am also dizzy and feeling out of control. When they go away I feel like a normal person and when they return I feel hopeless that it will never get better.

I am seeing my OBGYN on Tue and I will ask about possibly going on Zoloft - does this sound like something that anybody else has experienced. I feel like my body is not my own and I feel like I am not enjoying my little girl like I should.

Thanks so much for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-13-2008, 10:56 PM

Wow, that must be scary. I am completely not qualified to tell you it's medical or not, but it sounds like you've had the relevant tests and you should be getting some peace of mind from that.

I have had really similar experiences that, in my case, are anxiety/PPD related. It's always at bedtime, always short of "panic attack" mode, but I just *know* I would be fine if I could mentally pull myself out, like if at that exact moment I were at a big, distracting party and not in my bedroom, I feel confident I'd be feeling ok. That knowledge helps me talk myself down.

Enjoying my plummet off the deep end mommy with two (2005) and (2007)
#3 of 5 Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

thank you - I am noticing the more I think about it the worse it gets.
my tests are fine so it does not make sense. I am going to the OB bakc on Tuesday and I will talk about it with him. Maybe I will ask for one more round of test and inquire about perhaps going on Zoloft.
#4 of 5 Old 06-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anemia can cause all of the symptoms you are experiencing. Are you taking extra iron? You could be suffering from PTSD from your birth, which would make you worry excessively. Talk to your ob and see what they think.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 5 Old 06-14-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I am sure it is a combination of things. I had a pretty good window of feeling good today but when I get the shortness of breath / dizziness back I start freaking out. I am seeing my OB on Tue and I look forward being candid with him. I would not be surprised at all if I had PTSD.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page