Still on antidepressants and pregnant again... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still on Zoloft for my PPD. I just found out today that I'm pregnant again. How do I go off of it? Slowly wean myself, or stop cold turkey??

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 AM

Congratulations!!! First off, I would call your dr. asap. He or she would be the best person to let you know how to proceed with getting off this drug. Also, if you have an OB call them too. I was on Prozac, which is in the same class as Zoloft and pretty much just weaned myself off of it gradually. However, I'm only starting to TTC next month

The only thing I know almost for sure is that "cold turkey" is not a good idea -especially if you're pregnant. One other thing you could do before you get in to the dr. is talk to the pharmacist where it was filled and ask them their opinion. Also, look on the internet for the company package insert. It may give you some guidelines for tapering off. It's at least worth a try...Good luck mama

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#3 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I was going to call the dr that prescribed it, but I don't exactly want to talk to them. It's an OBGYN office. If they find out I'm pregnant, they will try to pressure me to see them, and I am not going to do that.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#4 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why would you need to go off it at all? Zoloft is a category B drug and is very safe in pregnancy. Talk to your ob about it. I got pregnant while on it, and took it throughout the pregnancy, no troubles at all. Baby came early at 37 weeks, was 10 lbs and totally healthy! BTW, I don't think he was that early/... I think our dates were off! He's nearly 8 months old now and developing great! I nursed him on z, too, until I weaned at 6 months. So there you go.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you decide to go off, definitely wean.

But I'd like to echo the pp -- you may want to stay on. The hormones of pregnancy can really do a number on your mood.

I was on Paxil (not the best choice) all during my pregnancy with dd. Would I like to have been off? Yes. Was it better to be on? Yes.

Dd is now 4, healthy, happy and smart (if I say so myself ). It was better for my children's mental health for me to be on meds than off.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM

I went off cold turkey when I got pregnant and my doc yelled at me for doing so Please check with a doc.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#7 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
kwg

Congrats!

I stayed on zoloft thru my pregnancy and still now nursing at 17 months.
#8 of 8 Old 06-22-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm not sure about the meds but do check with the doc..!!!

Hope you have a great pregnancy and a good after birth experience!!!!!!!!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page