help on weaning celexa - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-16-2003, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok- I am finally weaning from my celexa. I have stepped down from 40 mg a day to 20mg a day to 10mg every 4 days.

however, I get these incredible dizzy spells that only go away when I take a celexa. I've gotten down to the point that I only take 10 mg WHEN I NEED IT, my last one was Monday morning, I expect to take one tomorrow as the dizzy spells are getting me again.

HELP? How long does this take?
I lost my NP that I was working with, so I am weaning solo here.
#2 of 4 Old 10-16-2003, 06:04 PM

I think you're stepping down too quickly. My ds used to take Celexa, and I remember readin that weaing should be done very gradually- 5-10 mgs at a time for up to a week, if I remember correctly. The dizziness is a symptom that you're stepping down too much too quickly.
#3 of 4 Old 10-16-2003, 06:10 PM

i agree, you're going too quick. you might even need to go slower than 5mg a week. i've been weaning off my meds for 5 months. i'm also taking a nutritional supplement and the people who support it are great. they're helping me recognize the symptoms of adverse drug reaction and when i need to step down. it's a bit pricy, but it takes over for psychotropic drugs and helps rebuild your brain (sorry, can't think of the technical terms, baby crying).

you can find more info here: TrueHope or call them at 1-888-truehope, they might be able to give you a schedule for reducing your meds without going on the supplement, if you choose.

cheers,

Lori
#4 of 4 Old 10-18-2003, 07:33 PM

Different people have different reactions when they wean. I switched from Lexapro to Zoloft a month before I weaned to see if I tolerated the Zoloft. Then when I went off the Zoloft I went from 50mg to 25mg for five days then stopped completely with no adverse effects whatsoever. However, I think I am in the minority.

It does sound like you need to slow the weaning down to perhaps 5mg a week and see how it goes. As you get way down there you may need to go in smaller doses depending on how you feel.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page