My Placenta Encapsulation Story!!..every mama should know about this amazing medicine!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Placenta medicine...my story

I remember the day my midwife told me about placenta medicine, I cried. I loved that birth had so many blessings to offer our family, and the amazing benifits of the placenta were completely news to me. I was so excited when Patricia told me she would gladly encapsulate my placenta for me. Patricia is an amazing midwife, with five kids and a birth center she still finds time to help Mamas like me honor our amazing placentas, and this is our story.......

On October 14th, at 4:17am 2007 my son Grey Fox was blissfully born in the water at Sacred Waters Communty Birthing Center in Eugene, OR. I was blessed with a beautiful, peaceful waterbirth with my partner and my two year old son. The midwives were respectful of our wishes and let us birth unassisted in the water, the way we needed to. Our birth was a sacred expierance and everyone there was in tune with our babies song.

They waited for the "first mother",tugging on the cord, both midwives asking me to try to expell her. Then finally I just reached inside myself and grabbed our placenta, and my son's loving nurturer was born into my hands and lifted out of the water, just like my sweet baby! I was amazed at how beautiful the placenta is, I could not believe it was just thrown away at our first birth. Leaving the cord and placenta intact for a while felt so right to me! We spent a little over an hour in the tub after the birth, I think about 45 minutes of it was waiting for the placenta, the rest of the time was spent just holding both placenta and baby in my hands and floating them about in the water. I watched my new baby play with his cord and rub his face against it as he had in my womb, I touched all the viens and nubs of the cord and placenta, I put my hand inside the amniotic sack were my child had grown all these months. I smelled that wonderful smell of birth, no one was there to sanitize the expierance, it was so sensual.

Later in the day Patricia brought in this great thick paper to make placenta prints. Because of my water birth, all of the blood had been washed off the placenta, so we painted it! The prints turned out beautifully, the tree of life on the placenta is truely remarkable, and I loved that we were honoring our baby's "first mother" this way. Then, about 12 hours after the birth, when we were preparing to leave the birth center, Patricia helped me sever that sacred connection between me and my son, not with a knife, but with a candle. We slowly burned through the cord with two candles, it was so magical to watch the cord pop and sizzle with life. I like thinking about how my baby was born into water, and separated from me with fire, and embraced by this loving earth! We would have left the placenta intact and done a complete lotus birth, leaving the placenta attached to baby until it is dry and he kicks it off on his own, but I wanted Patricia to make me medicine. She did just that! A few days after the birth at one of many home visits, Patricia brought me a jar full of my encapsulated placenta! Just in time too, because I was having extaordinary mood swings, and afterpains. Within a few days of taking my placenta, I started to feel much better. I have struggled with depression in the past and this was much better than any ati-deppression medication I have ever taken. What an amazing organ! And what a shame it is tossed in the garbage everyday in hospitals! I think every woman should have her placenta encapsulated. It should just be a part of the birthing process. Our bodies are making thier own medicine! Amazing medicine!

I know my body and my baby made this medicine just for me. I was immediatley soothed by the medicine, and my baby blues ended within three days of taking my placenta.My energy started coming back, my milk came in full force, the afterpains faded, the bleeding got much lighter, my irritabity went away, and I was able to enjoy my new baby. My son even seemed calmer and happier after I started taking my encapsulated placenta. No wonder animals eat thier placenta's immediately after birthing!

Someday I plan to tell my son about the medicine he made for me by being born, how I'll never need another anti-deppressant because he healed me, and how nature always provides for us. For now I watch him grow knowing everyday is a blessing and loving every minute of it. With post pardem depression, I would have missed out on so much of those precious first weeks without the aid of my placenta medicine. All women should know about this, it's so wrong that this isn't always done for every Mama. It's so important to honor our placenta's and treat birth like the sacred, amazing event that it is!
thank you for supporting placenta encapsulation and for more information on Placentophagy please visit http://placentabenefits.info/
#2 of 63 Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

SacredMama, thankyou for sharing your beautiful, beautiful story, I too truely believe that the placenta can be such a powerful healing tool, and can't wait to experience this one day. The birth of your son sounds absolutely peaceful and awesome.

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!
#3 of 63 Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM

What an amazing and inspriational story you have to share.

I am saddened that I did not keep my placenta at either of my boys births. I planned on keeping it after my 2nd ds was born, but I guess it got lost in the shuffle of birth and I was in such labor/birth fog that I forgot to tell someone to keep it for me when I needed to. Since I was in the hospital, it got tossed I'm sure and never to be retrieved. I am so sad because I did suffer from ppd and could have been helped by my bodies own medicine instead of the "prescription" kind. I believe al things happen the way they need to and I suppose this is just my story.

Thank you for sharing your story, it is truly beautiful.
#4 of 63 Old 08-06-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly think that every woman should have her placenta encapsulated! It is rediculous that placentas are being thrown away in hospitals and women are being fed anti-deppressants instead of the medicine their bodies and babies have made for them. There are no side effects to taking my placenta, and I swear the effects were amazing. I feel for every woman who suffers from PPD, and I just cannot believe that so few know about this option!!!! I guess that's why I try to tell my story everyday! I think that the birth of the placenta should be honored like the birth of the baby, and having consumed my placenta made birth feel very complete.

What if the only reason Mama's have PPD is because our bodies need all the hormones in our placenta's after the exaustion and great transition of birth? What if every woman had her placenta encapsulated instead of a bottle of pills? I think deppression would be on the decline, and some greedy pharmacuetical companies would be out the massive profit they make off of our ignorance. So tell someone today that Placenta Encapsulation is awesome! All mammals eat thier placentas! It is just so useful, I only took about a third of my capsules after my son's birth and still have 2/3 of a jar in my freezer. I take them every now and then when feeling emotionally drained, and I'm saving at least half for menopause later in life. Patricia, my wonderful friend+healer+ teacher=midwife, told me how when women hit menopause they take hormone medication that is derived from pregnant horse pee! I always tell women about that when they say placenta consumption is disgusting! If anyone has any questions about this I'm happy to answer! The more we talk about it the more people will hear!

I would love to see an article about this topic in Mothering=)
#5 of 63 Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. That was an inspiring story. I loved it so much.:

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#6 of 63 Old 08-09-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so very pleased this story has inspired someone! Please tell someone you know about placenta encapsulation today! Every woman really should know about this!
#7 of 63 Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 PM

I just wanted to add my thanks for sharing this story- what an amazing, beautiful birth you had- congratulations! I wish I had known about the benefits of the placenta, I also suffered (and in some ways still suffer) from the affects of PPD- I wish somebody had told me about this before my DS' birth. He was born in a hospital C/S and it makes me sad now to think that this wonderful thing was tossed away like garbage, but it just never occured to me to have it saved. Someday when I decide to have another child, I hope my birth will be half as peaceful and inspiring as yours sounded, and I will definitely find out how to get my placenta encapsulated. Thank you again for sharing your story.

Bookworm read.gif , computer geek geek.gif , and single mom wild.gif to DS blahblah.gifbouncy.gif (11/06)
#8 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 07:46 PM

I did these after first birth, but not after 2nd (we did a lotus birth) and I really think it worked. I had PPD after 2nd.
#9 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 07:49 PM

I just wanted to agree with this post and offer my experience as well. I have had problems with serious depression in the past (complete with suicidal tendencies) and was afraid of PPD after birth. I had heard that eating the placenta was the best prevention for PPD and I ate mine after the birth. I had one bite immediately after and I cooked and ate the rest (it was surprisingly delicious!) two days later. I never once had any feelings of depression at all. Even the bad days have been light and sunshine with this little one. I don't know if the placenta is what did it, but I feel that it was just the thing I needed.

I hope that other mamas who have had these problems in the past can find some help from placenta encapsulation or just eating it cooked. PPD scares the bejeebies out of me and I think it's terrible that such a horrible thing can happen at what should be the most wonderful moments in a mother's life.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#10 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I love that you cooked your placenta! My midwife Patricia recently went to mexico to further her midwifery studies and came back with pictures of women eating thier placentas in tacos! I thought that was awesome. Many women say the placenta tastes great! I think the consumption of the placenta is the true final stage of birth, it is coming around full circle! Spread the word! Don't let another woman suffer from lack of information! Tell people about this! Talk about your placenta's birth, add a piece about honoring the placenta to the birth plan and the birth story! This amazing organ needs recognition and appreciation! I seriously wish with all my heart that every woman could have her baby gentely, peacefully, and have her placenta encapsulated! What a wonderful world this would be!
#11 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM

I totally agree with you!!! I am currently taking my own placenta pills and even had 5 bits of it raw after birth. My son was born Aug 5. I have to tell you that I LOVE IT!!! My bleeding was gone in 3 days after delivery, the after pains are completely gone (day 5 PP), full of energy, my hair and nails... should I say WOW? oh and my mummy tummy is shrinking lightning fast! I have always suffered from some mild PPD but when I started reading about the placenta benefits I started to wonder and decided that I wanted to do it!

Here is how I made my own pills

*Take the membranes and cord out of the placenta

*Place placenta (when there is no more blood) in a blender (it will look like ground meat)

*Take it to an excalibur dehydrator on a teflon sheet (it'll take a whole day to dry) turning it half way onto the regular sheet.

*Place it back to the blender (cleaned and dried)

*I found an empty spice bottle to put the capsules in!

*Then start the encapsulation. Mine took 81 pills!!! :

The second day PP I took 3 of these, then 2 the next 2 days, then one a day for up to a week. I am keeping my pills on the freezer and will take one when needed. You know: PMS or Menstrual Cycles.
phathui5 likes this.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#12 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you so much for posting your story too! I'm so glad you have the do it yourself instructions and your pictures are great! That's so cool that you encapsulated it yourself! I also have mine in a jar in the freezer and they look just like your capsules! I hope you had an amazing birth to go with your fantastic recovery! Be sure to tell all your friends about your placenta medicine and how helpful it was!
#13 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SacredMama View Post
I love that you cooked your placenta! My midwife Patricia recently went to mexico to further her midwifery studies and came back with pictures of women eating thier placentas in tacos! I thought that was awesome. Many women say the placenta tastes great! I think the consumption of the placenta is the true final stage of birth, it is coming around full circle! Spread the word! Don't let another woman suffer from lack of information! Tell people about this! Talk about your placenta's birth, add a piece about honoring the placenta to the birth plan and the birth story! This amazing organ needs recognition and appreciation! I seriously wish with all my heart that every woman could have her baby gentely, peacefully, and have her placenta encapsulated! What a wonderful world this would be!
Yes, it was delicious! It had about the consistency of hamburger meat and tasted just the same. I put some steak spices on it and grilled it on a pan. The only difference is that the membrane and veins are very chewy like rubber bands but otherwise tasty! I think every woman should at least try it.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#14 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Yes, it was delicious! It had about the consistency of hamburger meat and tasted just the same. I put some steak spices on it and grilled it on a pan. The only difference is that the membrane and veins are very chewy like rubber bands but otherwise tasty! I think every woman should at least try it.
Or if they are too freaked out about eating it they can encapsulate. I'd like to do both next time, maybe cook and eat a piece and encapsulate the rest. Women are starting to wake up to this, I just read a story about a woman who had to fight to keep her placenta after a c-section in the hospital, way to go mama! I really think Mothering should do a story on this topic, or if they have I would like to know so I can get my hands on that issue!
#15 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

I'm curious about this. What exactly are the benefits? If it lowers PPD, are there any studies on this or is it mostly anecdotal evidence?

If you don't have an excaliber dehydrator, how else can you encapsulate it?
#16 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I'm curious about this. What exactly are the benefits? If it lowers PPD, are there any studies on this or is it mostly anecdotal evidence?

If you don't have an excaliber dehydrator, how else can you encapsulate it?
Please check out the story up top for the benifits I expieranced, and the website http://placentabenefits.info/ has lots of great information and testamonials about this.
#17 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SacredMama View Post
Please check out the story up top for the benifits I expieranced, and the website http://placentabenefits.info/ has lots of great information and testamonials about this.
I did read the story, thanks. I just wanted a list of all the possible benefits and any studies on the matter.

Edit: I didn't find the website to be all that helpful. For one thing, it's partly a website selling a service, which makes me leery. For another thing, it doesn't clearly list out ALL the benefits. It lists a few, but I swear there are more than that.
#18 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 10:37 PM

thank you so much 7SacredMama! I am telling my friends but they think I am totally nuts but they'll see the difference! I can't wait to get together with them really soon. Our birth was exactly what I wanted with some modifications, but yes, thank you, it was magical

Talula, I have to tell you concerning PPD that my mood is great. I don't have those mood swings I used to experienced with my other 2 girls. I am not snapping at my kids either which is something that it came after the birth for the lack of sleep, energy, feeling in pain, etc... Since all of that is gained with the placenta, you know... the energy, less pain, less bleeding, etc... It's like the perfect thing you do after giving birth. You replace everything you did in 9 months into your body since it's gone with the placenta during birth. It just makes so much sense!

#19 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned

I didn't think of it that way, I guess it does make sense.

I have rapid cycling Bipolar I, and although I've decided to remain on medication (my last two pregnancies were off meds), I am worried I'll get hit with PPD again. It was *really bad* after #2. I'm also a vegetarian so I am sure I could use the extra iron. I was just curious to see some studies and info from an unbiased, credited source.
#20 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I didn't think of it that way, I guess it does make sense.

I have rapid cycling Bipolar I, and although I've decided to remain on medication (my last two pregnancies were off meds), I am worried I'll get hit with PPD again. It was *really bad* after #2. I'm also a vegetarian so I am sure I could use the extra iron. I was just curious to see some studies and info from an unbiased, credited source.
oh yes! it'll be perfect for you! That's one of the things that are said about the placenta and vegetarians!

Here is a useful link and where I got the simple recipe http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/eatplcnt.html

#21 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

Tyvm for the link!
#22 of 63 Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Thanks for this post!
I have found it very helpful, recovery after my last birth was shocking and it has taken me months to recover I lost alot of blood and was pale for months.
I will be doing this for sure with my next birth thanks to you I have heard about this but seeing the pics makes it seem so easy.

Good luck enjoy your new bubba:
#23 of 63 Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Wow, what a great story! I just wanted to share my own experience because you seem to have sparked a lot of interest...BTW I did post instructions and step by step photos of how I cooked and dehydrated my placenta somewhere here on MDC back in 2005 - I just can't find the post just now...

Anywho, I was worried about PPD and that is why I decided to dehydrate my placenta. My feelings about how sacred this amazing organ is seem to be very similar to the OP. The thing is, I actually felt bad cutting up my beautiful palcenta. It just felt wrong. I only ended up eating a small amount in the end...it just didn't feel right. I wished I had left it intact and buried it to honour it.

I did end up having some PPD. I am now pregnant with number 2 and am wondering what I will do. I would love to stave off PPD but am hesitant to do that to my placenta again.

Any thoughts?
#24 of 63 Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 AM

Your welcome Talula and neostudded! thanks for the great wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemum View Post
Wow, what a great story! I just wanted to share my own experience because you seem to have sparked a lot of interest...BTW I did post instructions and step by step photos of how I cooked and dehydrated my placenta somewhere here on MDC back in 2005 - I just can't find the post just now...
If you do it the very first day of birthing you don't need to cook the placenta. I did mine totally raw. I think it preserves the nutrients alive if you do it raw. I did had 5 bits of it raw with sea salt and lemon. Then prepared right away the placenta.

Quote:
Anywho, I was worried about PPD and that is why I decided to dehydrate my placenta. My feelings about how sacred this amazing organ is seem to be very similar to the OP. The thing is, I actually felt bad cutting up my beautiful palcenta. It just felt wrong. I only ended up eating a small amount in the end...it just didn't feel right. I wished I had left it intact and buried it to honour it.

I did end up having some PPD. I am now pregnant with number 2 and am wondering what I will do. I would love to stave off PPD but am hesitant to do that to my placenta again.

Any thoughts?
If you do suffer from PPD I highly recommend this as opposed to taking any drug for it. There is no drug that can replace a placenta, your own. I think you should go for it

#25 of 63 Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
How about consuming your placenta, but burying the baby's cord to honor the placenta? I couldn't eat my cord and I ended up throwing it away which seemed like such a waste. I've seen women curl them into a spiral shape and then dry them. I'd love to do that next time and then either save it for my baby or bury it with a tree.

#26 of 63 Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
I've seen women curl them into a spiral shape and then dry them.
that's a great idea!!! I still have the cord!

#27 of 63 Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
that's a great idea!!! I still have the cord!
My son's Cranio Sacral Therapist dried her cord in a spiral and she said it turned out beautifully. You can also wrap the cord around something special and it will dry and harden in place! I have herd of cord being dried and wrapped in hemp to make a necklace....there are lot's of great ways to honor the first mother and that sacred connection between mama and baby! I love this discussion!
#28 of 63 Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

With my next baby I plan to do all three, I want to eat a piece of the placenta raw, encapsulate some, bury some, and do something special with the cord like making it into a necklace or a spiral, or wrapping it around a tree branch and watch the tree frow around it as my baby grows! I love birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
Your welcome Talula and neostudded! thanks for the great wishes!

If you do it the very first day of birthing you don't need to cook the placenta. I did mine totally raw. I think it preserves the nutrients alive if you do it raw. I did had 5 bits of it raw with sea salt and lemon. Then prepared right away the placenta.

If you do suffer from PPD I highly recommend this as opposed to taking any drug for it. There is no drug that can replace a placenta, your own. I think you should go for it
#29 of 63 Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 AM

I think I am going to do the spiral art with it... then frame it... thanks for the idea!

#30 of 63 Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 AM

I dehydrated and encapsulated mine too, used the kit from Jodi Selaner's site with great sucess. I've slacked off on taking it these past 2 weeks, and I am feeling pissy. So I will start taking them again! They made me feel great right after the birth and I think they helped so much. The cord turned out sooo cool, I'll have to take a picture of it. I spiraled it and dehydrated it and now it is transparent but you can see the veins inside.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page