When does it stop being PPD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 16 months old now, and my PPD is persisting. I've been taking antidepressant's (Prozac, then Zoloft, now starting back on Prozac) since he was 4 months old, and they've helped a lot, but I really don't think I can stop taking them as I still have a lot of symptoms of PPD, just not as severe as before I was medicated.

When does it stop being PPD and start being 'normal' depression?

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#2 of 11 Old 08-06-2008, 07:09 PM

sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I have depression always.
#3 of 11 Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Poppies View Post
DS is 16 months old now, and my PPD is persisting. I've been taking antidepressant's (Prozac, then Zoloft, now starting back on Prozac) since he was 4 months old, and they've helped a lot, but I really don't think I can stop taking them as I still have a lot of symptoms of PPD, just not as severe as before I was medicated.

I'm not sure, but I wanted to say that I am in the same situation. My son is 20 months - but my PPD/Anxiety didn't really set in until he was about 7 months old, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunebugsMom View Post
sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I have depression always.
I'm sorry.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#4 of 11 Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Have you tried herbs? You can have herbal teas before going to bed and waking up, AND throughout the day like a regular drink. I would try St. John's worth with a mixture of chamomile herbs. You can do it yourself, by getting the actual herb from a bulk section. I just gave birth to my baby and decided to eat 5 little tiny bits of my placenta (raw) with sea salt and lemon juice, then dehydrated the rest. I always get some mild PPD.

Wishing you healing vibes to you (((((hugs))))))

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#5 of 11 Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 AM

I think ppd can last for a long time. I have read that a lot of mamas on this forum have taken meds for 2 years before weaning off the medication. I also think ppd can present at anytime up to a year or beyond. I have been recently diagnosed and my son is 17 months. I do know that the original symptoms began soon after his birth though, I just never got treatment.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#6 of 11 Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 AM

you don't necessarily have to worry about whether you're depressed or post-partum depressed. i think a lot of times, ppd is not regarded as significant as a 'regular' depression. it's almost as if it's expected that a new mom will have some sort of ppd after the birth.
for me, it was isolation. sure, i have a history of depression so that kind of predisposed me, but i was never depressed when i had people around me after the last birth. new moms need support and companionship--not just occasionally but most of the time. i think most women in our society don't have that.
#7 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 PM

i also have a history of depression as well and it seems to get amplified from single motherhood (solo parenthood) and also from postpartum so i'm not sure when it really stops for me, personally...so i couldn't say for you. i still struggle. just when i think yay i'm doing great...boom! i almost sink my dd and i in my funk. she has paid the price of it...not my ds. (she is 5) i feel like a monster in those moments...and like i want to give her away. i want so much to get past this...and just when i think its behind us...i explode on her again. it has done huge damage to our relationship...i think for me a lot of my PPD is from single motherhood yet again (my ds and dd have different bio fathers...)...just too much overload for me. i wasn't made for this...having to provide and yet wantting to be w/ my baby is sooo hard. so i do both at once and i think i'm burning out...(i work w/ my kids) hugs. its good to know we are not alone. its hard to talk to people IRL though i must say cuz i fear they'd take my kids.
#8 of 11 Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Poppies View Post

No answers here..I'm still struggling and my little girl is almost 15months. This is the longest I've ever dealt w/ppd. Anyway just wanted you to know you're not alone.

momma to my girls (9) (7) (4) (3) (7m) &
my little ones held only in my heart 4/12-17/00~8/01-twins~11/04~3/05~11/08
#9 of 11 Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas, and hugs to those of you who are also still experiencing PPD that just won't seem to go away.

I've just found out I'm pregnant again - planned (IVF, in fact), and since the PPD from my son hasn't resolved yet, I'm guessing that I'll just continue to have PPD through the pregnancy, and cross my fingers that it doesn't get worse in the immediate post-partum period. I haven't decided what to do about my anti-depressants yet. I'm not comfortable taking them while pregnant, but I'm not willing to stop them either.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#10 of 11 Old 09-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Peppermint Poppies, I know how your feel about meds and pregnancy. I have kind of had a plan to get preggo next year and I'm pretty sure I'll still be on meds at that point. I think that it's more important for you to be a good mama then to risk having a serious relapse. I would have a conversation with you doctor about it and find an ssri that you are comfortable taking during pregnancy. I know IVF can really mess with your hormones...have you read Brooke Shields book yet? I know she had a really hard time will taking the hormones to get pregnant and after.

HTH

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#11 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 PM

This PPD is frustrating to be sure! I think I've been struggling with it somewhat in the last few months. I've used Saint John's Wort and I think it has helped.

The one thing I thought of that I didn't notice mentioned here was counseling. Studies show that meds and counseling together are the best in treatment of depression. I think it would probably go for PPD as well. In counseling you would learn skills and new ways of thinking about things that could help. Hope you feel better soon!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page