i think my friend has PPD, new baby, need help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-31-2003, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i posted this first on the "single parents" board, to see if anyone over there had ideas for help cuz my freind has recently become a single mom, and she has told me she wants to die. i am not sure if she really means that or not but i have to assume. she also talked about giving her baby up for adoption. her baby is 3 mos. i am pretty sure i had PPD so i can relate to the feelings and i really see it in her. someone suggested i post over here too.. i have 2 posts over there about the situation..right now it is not a long thread, so i just made a link to it, hoping you all dont mind going over there to read it.

click here to go to the thread

thank you so much and take care mamas!
#2 of 4 Old 10-31-2003, 06:47 PM

Sounds like she is having passive suicidal thoughts. Check out this thread I just posted on:

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=95401

Please direct her to take the self assessment at Postpartum Support International - or - call them ASAP!
#3 of 4 Old 11-01-2003, 09:23 PM

I agree with gilnikche and feel that before things get worse and winter isolates your friend further, you should help her to get some help. She is possibly so low that she has no desire to do this for herself. You may have to be pushy and you may have to inconvenience yourself for a while in getting together with her, but it would be a wonderful gift to give your friend and her baby. BTW, the things you mentioned offering like watching the baby while she gets a bath are totally on the right track. Out of trying to be polite or strong she may turn you down if you ask, so depending on how it sounds given your relationship, you might skip asking and try just announcing it as a done deal, e.g. "You have been working so hard and deserve a break. I will be over at 3 this afternoon to draw a warm bath for you and then watch your baby while you relax in the tub." Or whatever you think she would like. Taking some leftovers or even a healthy frozen pizza for her to eat would also be great.

You are such a great friend to recognize her struggles and post here and want to get her some help. She is lucky to have you in this time of need.

Carol
#4 of 4 Old 11-03-2003, 02:22 PM

I posted in the single parent area. Click your link above.

Just a fast note: Book I recommend is "This Is Not What I Expected"

Good luck!

Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.

PPD survivor,
Carla

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page