PPD topic in Mothering - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 11-03-2003, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I posted this once before but I thought I'd try again before writing something up for Mothering.

Does anyone remember any issues with the topic of PPD being addressed? I have many many issues and can't find anything! I just recieved the new Mothering and they give you a look at topics coming in the New Year. Still no PPD topics!

I find that in a Magazine such as this it's almost unbelievable! When some reports are that 1 in every 6 women suffer some form of depression after delivery (and some during pregnancy) I would think this would be a very hot topic!

I am looking forward to any suggestions, comments you all might have on this.

Carla:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-10-2003, 05:09 AM

I would be very interested in this. I would also be interested in an article about mental illness in general and motherhood. I would love more info on treating ppd naturally(and other conditions, bi-polar, anxiety, etc). Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#3 of 16 Old 11-12-2003, 01:35 AM

I can't remember any PPD articles in the 3 years I have been subscribing. I have actually been working on a piece that might go along with a more scientific article on PPD. I haven't finished it to my liking yet, and have never sent anything to a magazine, so it'll probably never get printed. But still, it's been cathartic working on it. It's about my perfectionism crashing into the reality of being a mom. I touch on my PPD but focus more on the unattainable goals of motherhood that we think other moms are able to attain...while all along they are just putting on a brave face like we are:

Question: "How are you doing?"
Answer: "Oh just fine!"
Real answer: Actually I feel like crap on a stick, but thanks for not noticing the bags under my eyes and the fact I haven't washed my hair lately.

Question: "How do you like being a stay-at-home mom?"
Answer: "Oh, it's sooo wonderful!"
Real answer: Actually some days I could run away screaming, but thanks for asking so I can lie and then feel guilty and phony afterward. :

Carol
#4 of 16 Old 11-13-2003, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Debi and Carol,

Well, I have been thinking about writting an article, but I've never done such a thing either. I think a whole issue could be dedicated to this. They could put in stuff about mental illness and motherhood as well as post partum mood disorders.

I think I'll just start with a letter to the editor and then mention that if they need help with articles, I know some people that would be willing to write something up. I moderate on ppdsupportpage.com and I'm sure some of the women on that site would put their 2 cents in, also. Would both of you be willing to write a letter to the editor in Mothering to "put the heat on" so to speak? Maybe if a few of us all write that we'de like to see this, it will speak loudly!

Carla
#5 of 16 Old 11-13-2003, 04:41 AM

I would love to write a letter to the editor, I would also submit an article on how ppd/depression/mental illness affects my daily life with my kids...

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#6 of 16 Old 11-18-2003, 02:32 AM

Great idea!!! I just emailed a letter to the editor. Hopefully something will come of our requests, or better yet, maybe they'll write back and say something is already in the works.

Carol
#7 of 16 Old 11-18-2003, 02:36 AM

Okay, since I have PPD I feel like I can joke about it:

I'd love to finish an article on depression, but I'm just too darned depressed to work on it... :LOL

Carol
#8 of 16 Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 AM

Just wanted to let you all know that I wrote to Mothering via email; here is part of the kind response I got (my original email is below):

"...We last addressed PPD with a comprehensive article in issue #74, spring 1995. We are currently working with Jane Honikman and an associate of hers on a new article. Jane is the director of a wonderful resource, Postpartum Support International, or PSI. We hope to publish their article in the spring. You may want to contact her, as the model PSI promotes is local, community, peer-based support, advocacy, and education, most often and most authentically offered by moms who have had PPD...."

-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mothering,

I have enjoyed your magazine since becoming pregnant with my daughter, who is almost three. However, I cannot recall any issue in that time dealing, in depth, with post-partum depression (PPD). Although I knew a little bit about PPD, I thought it could only happen soon after birth. When PPD began to negatively effect my life, my daughter was 18 months old. I had no idea that late onset of PPD was possible, and didn't recognize that I'd been sliding gradually toward PPD for a few months. I had little knowledge of what options were available for depression in general, and knew almost nothing about which medications (herbal or otherwise) were safe for breastfeeding moms.

Over the past year, I found a wonderful therapist who has a strong background of helping moms with PPD and supports attachment parenting. I also discovered resources that are useful for attached moms who suffer from depression, but this journey has taken a lot of work and time. It would have been very helpful to have a trusted, alternative resource such as Mothering to refer to for help during that journey.

I know there are many topics worthy of space in Mothering, with limited space available. However, so many moms experience PPD, and so little alternative information is readily available on the subject, that I would love to see an issue of Mothering focused on PPD.

Sincerely,

Carol L----
#9 of 16 Old 12-02-2003, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Carol,

Thank you for writing a letter to Mothering and sharing their response to you. I just wrote a letter to the editor, but after writing it, I wondered if I might just go ahead and try to submit "my story of PPD" and just see what happens.

I know Jane Honikman and am glad they are going to do a story for Mothering!!! That is fantastic new, huh?

I'll give you a copy of what I might send to Mothering in the form of a letter to the editor, typos and all

I am a 39 yr old mother of 3 wonderful kids, having given birth to my last one 18 mths ago. My first 2 were hospital births and after much research decided on a home birth for my 3rd. As my pregnancy progressed, I poured myself into each new Mothering that came in the mail. I also had a friend give me all of her older Mothering Magazines as well. I wanted to be as prepared as possible! I decided against many of the unnecessary tests and was looking forward to "Ecstasy in Childbirth"! I felt this time I was really ready for a better experience and looking forward to a home birth with my mid-wives.

I had a normal delivery and a healthy 10lb 3oz baby girl. What I didn't expect came on day 2 post partum. I experienced a huge panic attack followed by ungoing anxiety and panic attacks and depersonalization. I figured I must have "snapped" and had lost my mind! It was the most horrible time of my life! After a couple weeks of trying to find out what was wrong with me, I discovered that I was suffering from a post partum mood disorder, better known as PPD (post partum depression).

I wondered why I hadn't read or heard of any of the symptoms that I was experiencing. I went looking through all my Mothering issues and could not find any information on PPD. I did, however, find the article in the March-April 2002 issue about medications and breast feeding to be extremely reassuring.

I am currently a moderator on a PPD website (ppdsupportpage.com). As many as 6 out of 10 women experience some level of a post partum mood disorder and up to 2/3's suffer in silence. I am constantly amazed at how this illness is still kept "in the closet". This doesn't have to be this way. Please consider adding some information on post partum mood disorders so that your readers may be educated and know what could happen to them and most importantly, where to turn to for help. You can help break the silence!

Carla Helin
Washington

Carla Helin
1619 Vine Maple Lane
Camano Island, WA 98282
(360) 387-9413

I would like to add that I would be more than happy to write an article for Mothering. I could write my story if you would like. I also know that Tonya Rosenberg or Jessica Banas, the administrators of ppdsupportpage.com would be great resources for writing up an article on PPD. Thank you so much for your time!

If it would be better for me to submit an article without publishing my letter to the editor, please let me know. I will be working on my story for a considered submission and will send that to you soon.
#10 of 16 Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 PM

Carla, great job with your letter! I am not familiar with Jane Honikman but am going to look up more info on her....

Carol
#11 of 16 Old 12-03-2003, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

I just typed a big long thing to you with lots of smilies included and tried to post but wasn't connected so I lost it all!

Anyway, I wanted to tell you I really like what you wrote, too! I'd love to hear your story sometime. Have you written it down anywhere? If you want a good place to share your story, you could always go to ppdsupportpage.com and post it in the survivors stories or submit it to Tonya the administrator for submittal in Real Stories. I have yet to do this myself.

I just tried to wean down a bit on the Zoloft. Not very successful I'm afraid. Had 2 pretty scary panic attacks and the anxiety is back. I only went down 25mgs but it most certainly threw a curve in my recovery! I am so so thankful for Xanex. It always helps with the panic and anxiety. Needless to say, I'm back on 100mgs of Zoloft and not going to mess around with it for quite a while.

It also kicked my butt and I'm trying to eat better again and exersice a bit. I'm such an all or nothing person. It's hard to pracice moderation. I think that word isn't in my dictionary!

Thank you for your quick responses.

Carla
#12 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Dear Forum Friends:

I have been reading Mothering Magazine since its inception in 1976.

I have had four homeborn children since then, and I enjoyed the support that Mothering Magazine gave for homebirthing, breastfeeding, non-circing, healthy foods, homeschooling, non-vaxing...

..but truth to be told, I recall very few articles articles about post partum depression. I guess that you cannot cover everything!

I had terrible, awful depression after the births of my first three children. I actually lost the desire to live. It was my children who kept me alive. DH was so busy with work, he did not notice.

I actually thought of writing an article myself for Mothering Magazine on Post Partum Depression, but I was honestly too depressed!

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ~ George Orwell
#13 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 12:27 PM

1995? As in 8 years ago?

This should be a topic once a year!
#14 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Applejuice,

Wow! You've been reading Mothering for a LONG time!!! Well, I know they can't cover everything, but....when depression causes women to want to end their lives, and unfortanatly some do, not to mention the horrors of PPP and the infacide rate, this is an issue that needs WAY more attention!!!

Foobar,

YES!!! Once a yr would be nice!!! I worked up a letter to the editor, but I'm dagging my feet on submitting it as I would like to attatch "my story" with it. That is going to take some time. I encourage all of you to submit your story also. Who knows? Maybe they will print one of our stories in an issue.

Does anyone else think it's a little odd that this Mothering forum has a place for depression and yet so little is actually printed in the magazine?

Carla
#15 of 16 Old 12-16-2003, 03:36 PM

I think they should do PPD articles more often too. 1995 is way too long ago.

It kind of pissed me off when I got the latest issue in the mail. It had a 'jacket' advertisement on it trying to get you to buy gift subscriptions. It also had a list of articles planned for 2004---and one was "Postpartum Euphoria". It seemed to be a deliberate play on PPD and I found it pretty insensitive...
#16 of 16 Old 12-19-2003, 03:00 AM

Hmmmm. I didn't notice the jacket and the "postpartum euphoria" thing, but that is exactly the kind of thing that made me feel like such a big loser at mothering for so long (I'm just beginning to reframe my opinion after a year of therapy and several months of meds).

It seems to me that attachment parenting at its purest has adopted this philosophy that while there will be some challenges, parenting and ESPECIALLY mothering will leave you overall with this feeling of bliss. You'll look at your baby, who of course does not fuss because you have breastfed and co-slept and "met all his needs," and feel a warm glow overcome you as you thank the heavens for the gift of parenting each and every day. What a privilege to feel superior to all the struggling moms who clearly have not followed their babies' cues or learned the GREAT LESSONS of mothering at its finest. You know, the ones who don't have a clue what they are doing wrong but keep doing more wrong by the day, the ones who hate their lives some days, who can't figure out WHY WHY WHY they have such a spirited child, you know, the ones like ME!

Can you tell this is a sensitive issue for me? It's just that I busted my a$$ to try to come as close as possible to the ideal promoted by staunch AP sources, because I agreed that it sounded like a great plan and I thought that's what my daughter deserved. I wore myself to a nub doing so, even though there is that occasional one sentence in a million mentioning, "oh yeah, and in between meeting every need of your child, you should really take some time to renew yourself, as well." Like, 5 minutes a week should be enough, right? :

Sorry for the rant. More sensitivity toward how hard mothering is, how PPD can affect your life, how actually all the other AP moms are NOT basking in the glory of motherhood on a daily basis, etc., is definitely in order. Hopefully the articles will come soon and won't disappoint.

Carol

Recommended Reading
User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page