PPD while PG? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK - I know it's called PPD, but can one get it before the baby is even born? I am currently 27w 6d pg with #2 and think I am headed down that road right now. I remember with DD#1 the depressed feelings creeping up on me in the 3rd tri, and for about 6 mos PP I was really down and had some pretty yucky thoughts.

Now I find myself feeling much the same way and it's scaring me. I so don't want to be depressed and am looking for natural ways to remedy this. I did a search here and read some threads that discussed exercise. I have always felt much better about things when I exercised, and haven't done so regularly for months. So, I will certainly try that.

My next step is to do something about my diet. I started both pgs eating very well and ended up eating lots of refined sugars, etc. It's so hard for me to get away from those - especially when they are my comfort foods. But I do know that after I eat something junky I always regret it and that starts a cycle of beating myself up for eating the junk food (in part b/c I know that that is going straight to my baby and then I say how awful a Mama I am for doing that), feeling like I've already ruined it so why not have another, etc.

I am rambling...

OK - what I would like to know is about B-complex and the flax oil I have been reading about. Are those two things safe to take in pg and while nursing (sorry to be so ignorant)? If so, does anyone know the amounts I should be taking? I assume I'll need to know what's in my prenatals and adjust from there. If you can help with this, ty - and ty to all who read this!
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2003, 07:30 PM

I had this while preg with my ds. It got pretty bad. It got to the point where I wasn't a good mom to my dd. It also got to the point where I thought (and I do NOT believe in abortion) that it wasn't too late to not be pregnant anymore. That really woke me up and made me realize I needed to do something. I talked to my midwife and she put me on zoloft. It was great after that! I don't know of any natural things you could use. Sorry.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#3 of 4 Old 11-08-2003, 11:11 PM

Exercise is supposed to be one of the very best things for depression, so definitely do that. Can you find a prenatal yoga class? I took one and found it really comforting as well as good exercise and preparation for labor. Walking is also great.

I'm not sure how much is safe during pregnancy, but B vitamins (something with several B's including B-6 and B-12) can be stepped up to help you feel better. You might ask your care provider about that, maybe some flax seed oil as well.

Eating well is really challenging, isn't it? They always say that feeling like you want sugar in pregnancy means you are really needing protein. If you eat meat, buy lunchmeat with no preservatives for quick sandwiches or eating with crackers and cheese. Buy whole roasted chickens so all you have to do is slice and eat. You can throw the leftover bits in soup or pasta. Plain, full-fat yogurt with fruit stirred in is a semi-sweet but healthful treat. I always took nuts, especially almonds, with me when I was pregnant, for snacking. I snacked and snacked and snacked when I was pg! And I ate a lot of mission-syle burritos, somehow all the protein (and fat) in them tasted soooo good. Also, you might consider making muffins that are partly healthy and partly sweet (like blueberry/whole wheat or carrot/raisin), to satisfy the sweet tooth while still getting some wholesome ingredients. Even better, ask your mom or partner or a friend to make them for you. Next time somebody says, "is there anything I can do to help you" say "Yes! Bring me some food!"

I'm not saying all this would make the PPD go away or is all you need to do, but I've found that taking one step to help yourself feel better and healthier inevitably makes the next step easier to envision and take.

Warm wishes,

Carol

Edited to add: When I was pg and DD was a baby, I used to make lots of Bob's Red Mill brand muffins in the Apple Spice Bran flavor. Not only are they easy b/c it is a mix, but you can use honey or molasses for part or all of the sugar and add in dried fruit, nuts, etc. You can also add an extra egg, a couple tablespoons of dried nonfat milk or soy protein powder, etc., to most muffin recipes without hurting the end product.
#4 of 4 Old 11-10-2003, 04:23 AM

Laurie,

I am short on time right now, but check out my post (it starts out in red type) in this thread...

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=95401

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page