Hi, I'm depressed... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-13-2003, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to say I'm grateful for having the posts to read. I'm 26 weeks and I'm definitely depressed. I had ppd with dd 2.5 years ago, but I didn't know it could show up while pg. I was so hoping to be ok this time I know myself pretty well, though and I think it's time to see my dr., sigh.

Can anyone give me a link for how safe different meds are during pg and bfing? I've read some of you take Zoloft, and Dr. Newman recommends that as well.

Thanks,

Jen
#2 of 8 Old 11-15-2003, 10:49 AM

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in responding. My kids are keeping me pretty busy...

I have always had my depression start during pregnancy. So; I know how awful it can be.

I found my info through the library. I asked the librarian to help me with a periodical search. Turns out they already subscribe to the medical journals. Just tell them what keywords; such as "SSRI", "antidepressant" & "pregnancy".
#3 of 8 Old 11-15-2003, 11:38 AM

Just wanted to offer my support. I had PPD really bad this last time and I think it started during my pregnancy. I'm on Prozac now and the first question that I asked was if I could take it while I was pregnant (for future referance). Anyway, the dr. said yes. Don't know if that helps at all. Take care and feel free to unload here at any time.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 11-15-2003, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I see my dr. in a couple of weeks. I think it could be SAD as well, it's so grey and bleak here! I find myself wishing the time would go by...not something I want to do!

Jen
#5 of 8 Old 11-15-2003, 06:51 PM

On a personal note; I have taken Zoloft through two pregnancies with no ill effect on my babes.

I have read medical articles about Paxil. It has been reported to cause babies to go through withdrawal symptoms.
#6 of 8 Old 11-15-2003, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I have seen Paxil cause withdrawal in an adult, so I'm not suprised. I have also had awful experiences coming off Effexor.

Did you have trouble with Zoloft?

Jen
#7 of 8 Old 11-15-2003, 08:16 PM

I am still taking Zoloft.

But I have not had any problems with withdrawal when I weaned off in the past. My problem was the return of my original symptoms of depression!
#8 of 8 Old 11-16-2003, 07:56 PM

I was on Zoloft also and had no problems weaning off it. In fact, I was on 50mg and weaned totally off in five days. I wanted to go off to get pregnant and for the first trimester, and I had been on an antidepressant for 9 months and felt like I was in a good place to go off for a while.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page