Up and down and all around... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-21-2003, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...that's how I feel these days. I was on a pretty even keel for a few weeks, then had a stomach virus, cold, and sinus infection spanning 4 out of 5 weeks. Naturally I didn't feel so hot during that time, but even after being well for over a week it's been a roller coaster! One day I'll feel good, with the underlying buzz of optimism. The next I'll feel gloomy with that sucking feeling of underlying hopelessness. Sometimes I can pinpoint the reasons, but other times I have no clue why I feel how I do.

I am feeling way more positive overall since starting Lexapro a couple months ago, and have done things like make it to a yoga class that I'd been meaning to go to for ages. I've also been reconnecting with my daughter on a deeper level. But at the same time, I'm still having trouble getting motivated and feeling overwhelmed by things like paying the bills.

I'm more than glad for the better days overall, and I know that everyone's life has its ups and downs. But I'm wondering if other people on antidepressants have noticed the swings between ups and downs feeling so sharp? I guess I've always been prone to mood swings, but it feels so acute now. I wonder if maybe I'm just hyper-sensitive to the gloomy feelings because I'm always worried that they might be back for good. I just hate feeling like I'm on a see-saw with some unseen force controlling whether the other end is up or down!

Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-21-2003, 03:30 PM

Here is my Lexapro experience for what it's worth. I started on it in late September of last year. I had a couple of months where I felt pretty good and thought I was back to normal. Then came the holidays and December was a pretty crappy month. I had good days and bad days, then there were many more bad days than good days and after a couple weeks of straight bad days I called my psychiatrist right after Christmas, thinking I needed my meds adjusted. I couldn't get in intil a day or two after the first of Jan (about week or so from the time I called) and by the time the appointment rolled around, I was feeling even better than ever. It was after that monthlong "relapse" that I REALLY felt like myself again. I thought I was good before, but when the first of the year rolled around, I finally remembered exactly what I had been like before.

I don't know if this is common for everyone, but several people I have talked to who have been on Lex have mentioned the same type of relapse a couple months after starting it. I hope it passes for you soon, it's a bummer to feel crappy during the holidays.
#3 of 4 Old 11-22-2003, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Beth, thanks, that makes me feel better. I do feel like I'm having a relapse of sorts, or at least not as even a keel as I was once the Lexapro kicked in. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I think another part of it might be feeling better enough to notice all the smaller problems, now that the larger ones aren't so all-consuming, LOL! Still, it sucks to feel like I'm at the end of a yoyo, bobbing up and down. Maybe after the holidays I'll be able to relax and really hit a positive stride. Thanks again. I really appreciate all your wise and kind posts.

Carol
#4 of 4 Old 11-23-2003, 06:55 PM

Aw, shucks. I'm always here to help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page