Anyone tried massage for emotional release? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-22-2003, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this idea after seeing listings for massage therapists on my local PPD support website. One said she provided "Swedish massage, energy work, and emotional support." I started thinking about a couple of times while in massage or bodywork situations where I felt like emotions were wanting to escape, but of course I squelched the feeling because I didn't want to lose it and start bawling in front of a complete stranger. Now I'm wondering if I found someone I was comfortable with and who provided that sort of outlet, if it might be a good release. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like that??

Carol
#2 of 5 Old 11-22-2003, 12:20 PM

I'm a massage therapist, & I've had that happen both to me and to clients I've had on the table. I'd be happy to talk to you about it via PM or email if you'd like~

Kathy
#3 of 5 Old 11-22-2003, 12:42 PM

Hi there,
I am also a massage therapist. I know what you mean about wanting to cry during a massage. I certainly have in the right hands.

Another modality I wanted to mention that I actually benefit from a lot these days is called unlimited body. It is hands on, but not manipulation like massage is. Hands on like energy work. You can talk all you want, cry all you want, rage on etc. Here is a description from their (not so good, in my opinion) website - "Unlimited Body uses the physical body to access the cellular memory where subconscious wounds and "misunderstandings” are stored waiting to be released. As the body is supported to feel safe, you can truly relax, reveal and permanently let go of these hidden traumas."

unlimited body

I noticed you live in Oregon. Are you near Portland? There is one practioner in the state in Portland. She is also a massage therapist.

oregon

Anyway - thought I would just put this out there for you to check out. I work with someone who really believes that when are able to release "stuff" it is permament. I have gotten tremendous relief from headaches etc. This modality beleives that when emotions that are kept inside, they can be manifested physically. Literally usually. For example you have a UTI and she would ask who you are "pissed at." Certainly an interesting and non-western way of viewing what ails you and how to heal.

Take care,
Golden
#4 of 5 Old 11-25-2003, 11:07 PM

i had a massage on saturday. my husband bought me a spa day for my birthday in july and i finally used it.

it included a 1/2 hour jacuzzi bath, a 1/2 hour body wrap, a 1 hour massage and a 1 hour facial - which was kind of a face massage.

my feet and head were massaged during both the facial and the massage. during one of the foot massages i felt a surge of emotional release. i didn't cry, it just sort of created a swirl of images and emotions that were very strong. i was pretty relaxed and let them come and go.

i found the facial to be very intimate and loving. not in an uncomfortable way. i felt very loved and supported when i left.

it was a great experience, but a little grueling, as well. i felt better when it was done.

blessings,

Lori
#5 of 5 Old 11-27-2003, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. MHM, I'm so glad you got a spa day. A well-deserved treat!!

Golden, I had a brief look at the unlimited body info and it sounds interesting. I think I'll look more into that. I heard a story of someone who had a scary experience with Reiki so I'm a little apprehensive of energy work though.

Kathy and all, I'm glad to hear it isn't unusual to have strong emotions during massage. I think one thing I'm going to need to do is to have a series of massages with the same person. I tend to have 1 or 2 massages a year so there isn't any continuity or comfort. Maybe if I have one every couple of weeks for 4-5 sessions, I'll truly be able to relax and let the emotions out. Now I just have to find someone who is good and not too exorbitant. Oh, and the minor problem of someone to watch DD during 5 massage sessions!

Warmly,
Carol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page