Finally putting it on paper - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sat down and started writing last night. I've wanted to write a romance for years, and I finally sat down and typed out 25 pages last night.

I'm going back tonight and doing a plot outline so I don't lose track, and make some character outlines as well. It's going to have a supernatural twist to it, so I'm excited.

I'm always good at the beginning and end, but the stuff in the middle bogs me down a bit. I also hate writing dialogue, but I know it's a necessary part of any story.

Wish me luck!
#2 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I'm also trying to come up with a good name for a book store, which is a central "character" in the story. I have some ideas, but they all sound blah.

I've always wanted to write a fantasy/paranormal/romance and I finally just decided to sit down and DO IT.
#3 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Sounds wonderful.

I hate outlining, but I've found notecarding is a fairly pain-free way to do it. There's a good explanation of it on Holly Lisle's site. Somewhere. I found it once; I'm sure it's still there. I actually did it a slightly different way than she did; if you want me to elaborate a bit let me know.

Then again, you might be someone who doesn't run screaming into the night at the idea of outlining, like I do. So realize I don't mean to be patronizing. And please come join our Noveling in December thread, if you haven't already!

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#4 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a real "to do" list person, so outlining gives me a small measure of masochistic satisfaction.

I am one of those who LIKES outlining and organizing my thoughts by chapter. It helps me tremendously with character and story development. I also like to do character outlines with a sort of timeline of their development throughout the story.

I joined the other thread, too.
#5 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Good for you! Keep on writing!
#6 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferH View Post
Oh, and I'm also trying to come up with a good name for a book store, which is a central "character" in the story. I have some ideas, but they all sound blah.

I've always wanted to write a fantasy/paranormal/romance and I finally just decided to sit down and DO IT.
Oh, don't let yourself procrastinate by trying to find that perfect name. Call it something, and then you can do a "replace all" at the end
#7 of 7 Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 AM

that's so awesome, way to go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page