Newspaper writing- Saving money - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a writer for a local paper doing a series on saving money during the recession- and saving money in general.

Anyone have any money saving ideas, tips, topics, etc. that they would like to see in print. I'm looking for general ideas like cloth diapers, homemade cleaning supplies, using the library, etc.

I'm at a standstill... please help!

(I'm pretty much free to write about anything so long as it saves money for the local readers)

I'm also open to other topics that don't focus on saving money that you would want to read about. Keep in mind that the readers are from a small county that farms not a big city!

THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You should browse through the Frugality & Finances forum or maybe post the question there, you will get tons of ideas from mamas who are working hard to save money.

My biggest push at the moment is to save money on food.

#1 is we need to eat out less. It's so costly! We were snowed in for a week right before Christmas and I told DH I bet we saved TONS of money that week because we didn't eat out even once, not even a cup of hot cocoa from the espresso stand.

Something I learned recently... All our local groceries have a "clearance" pile of meats that you need to eat or freeze right away, and I look there first when I shop for meat. At the groceries that carry more organics, I can almost always get, say, organic beef for the same price as non-organic, sometimes slightly less. (Not so much chicken, alas, but there's one grocery that often has clearance ham.) If the prices are really good I'll buy more than I'll need for the week and freeze it.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#3 of 5 Old 12-30-2008, 03:15 PM

My biggie, honestly, is the use of coupons. This is one of the typical money-saving recommendations, but in my experience it's bunk. Most of the time the coupons are off convenience food, and it's cheaper to cook from scratch (in fact, you could probably get an entire column out of that!), but more importantly these tend to be off the highest-priced items there. I never, ever use a coupon unless there is no cheaper alternative, and between less-expensive brand names and store brands there almost always is.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#4 of 5 Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
these tend to be off the highest-priced items there. I never, ever use a coupon unless there is no cheaper alternative, and between less-expensive brand names and store brands there almost always is.
Hah, I feel the same way. Buying the store brand is almost always a better deal and it takes way less time out of your life. I never read the grocery store ads, either. Good prices on the sales items are probably offset by all the things that went off sale at the same time.

Oh, and those store-member discounts? DH is always reading the receipt when we leave the grocery store going, "Oh yay we saved 35%!" But really, no we didn't. We just paid what would be known as "normal prices" before the era of store memberships. And if that stuff hadn't been the cheapest stuff, we'd've bought some other cheap stuff instead.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#5 of 5 Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I was thinking about writing a story on cooking from scratch, maybe I will now that I see there would be at least some interest in it.

I totally agree with the coupon thing. Sometimes I will use them if they are for something we already needed and it's on sale. Or if I get them for things that we use can only use a certain brand of like our laundry or dish soaps- although sometimes it's cheaper to order them online than try to find them around here!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page