anyone up for a query critique via PM? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a query that you need help polishing? Think your query is dead on? Do you have what it takes to write a great query? Can you lend a helping hand?

I'm about to do my first query and I'm stumped one minute, then think it's perfect the next...but, alas, I'm chicken...I was going to go to submit mine to the Query Shark but I thought that we woman could give each other a hand first (maybe a more gentle hand ) before we dive into the deep waters of, well, sharks!

anyone not chicken? I think this is about as difficult and important as writing the actual novel!
#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
Do you have a query that you need help. polishing? Think your query is dead on? Do you have what it takes to write a great query? Can you lend a helping hand?

I'm about to do my first query and I'm stumped one minute, then think it's perfect the next...but, alas, I'm chicken...I was going to go to submit mine to the Query Shark but I thought that we woman could give each other a hand first (maybe a more gentle hand ) before we dive into the deep waters of, well, sharks!

anyone not chicken? I think this is about as difficult and important as writing the actual novel!
I agree that a query letter is uber important. Most are rejected within a minute, even if the actual responses to the author take a week or a few months.

One possible issue is that this is a public forum and if anyone later searches keywords from your query they will see this thread. I workshopped my query for months () in a private forum, and I think I learned a lot from it, and from reading other queries and seeing what kind of feedback they got. So I would love to critique here, but I'm still unsure I want to have my query public on mdc, at the same time as I'm sending it out to agents. But maybe I'm being silly. Tell me I'm being silly. I love critiquing queries!!!!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

yes! my computer hiccuped and the connection was lost...I'll PM you with it and maybe we can help with eachother's queries that way
#4 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM

This sounds like a very interesting novel! I'll be back with some thoughts later!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#5 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 PM

removed for privacy reasons.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

I see where you're going with this! and no, it's not curt...it's necessary! I'll work on this a bit and get a revised copy here. Do you really think this is bad online or ok? I've seen others do it, so I don't see the harm, but then again I'm not a literary agent with an attitude...

I find it's hard to be blunt and to the point since I don't want anyone to know what really happens until they read the actual book...but that really isn't the point of the query, is it... I'm supposed to give the entire book away, hook, line, and sinker, so someone doesn't have to read the whole book to know what happens...I'll keep that in mind when I rework it.

I really appreciate your help...if you think else where online would be safer to do this, let me know.

Thanks!
#7 of 7 Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
I see where you're going with this! and no, it's not curt...it's necessary! I'll work on this a bit and get a revised copy here. Do you really think this is bad online or ok? I've seen others do it, so I don't see the harm, but then again I'm not a literary agent with an attitude...

I find it's hard to be blunt and to the point since I don't want anyone to know what really happens until they read the actual book...but that really isn't the point of the query, is it... I'm supposed to give the entire book away, hook, line, and sinker, so someone doesn't have to read the whole book to know what happens...I'll keep that in mind when I rework it.

I really appreciate your help...if you think else where online would be safer to do this, let me know.

Thanks!
oh good, i was worried, but i'm nakng again LOL
i think in a query--you don't need to tell everything; in the synopsis you do. but you don't have to worry about giving it away in the query, it is just that you won't be albe to reveal everything in a one page query!

and honestly, i don't think anyone will be googling for keywords from a query. i'm probably overly cautious.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page