Noveling in February! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
so you have a writing group, as in a critique group? how did you find yours?
Yes, I have a critique group that meets weekly on Thursday nights. They found me, really. And oddly enough, I had 2 points of contact with the group before I joined:

(1) My group runs a writing workshop at our local science fiction convention. I submitted some short stories to it and so my name and some work had been read by the group several months before I was invited to audition.

(2) At the time I auditioned there was also a member of the weekly group who had gone to a major writing workshop (Viable Paradise) with me the year before. There were only 3 VP graduates in the entire state at the time and the 3rd was also auditioning at the same time as me.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, today my character development took an unexpected turn, and listening to the Bangled, completely messed up my plans.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#33 of 39 Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Hi! Mind if I join?

I have never written anything novelish before and a few nights ago I was hit with quite an inspiration. Dh is home for the winter so he has the boys and I have three weeks to bang out outlines and a few sample chapters to get things going.

#34 of 39 Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Well, today my character development took an unexpected turn, and listening to the Bangled, completely messed up my plans.
That sounds like fun! I love new discoveries about my characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
Hi! Mind if I join?

I have never written anything novelish before and a few nights ago I was hit with quite an inspiration. Dh is home for the winter so he has the boys and I have three weeks to bang out outlines and a few sample chapters to get things going.

Hi there! You go, girl! You can get a lot done in 3 weeks. It's awesome that your DH is giving you time to write!

#35 of 39 Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome Erin!

I am really excited. I usually write non-fiction, so to have this inspiration and the sudden surge of ideas is just almost funny to me!

I spent part of the day today at Barnes & Nobles in the Young Adults section skimming books, seeing what is out there and checking out publishers. Then tonight after yoga I spent some time writing out synopsis just to get the ideas out. I have been writing by hand, but am thinking I should move to the computer for speed purposes.
#36 of 39 Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 AM

I'm so excited. I sat down tonight and my goal was 200 words. I wrote 1600!

:

It is so true and very funny how the character starts behaving apart from my thoughts! Mine almost had a dog tonight but I thought through things and told her no

But the bane of my existence is past tense and be verbs. HOW do I get past that? Any exercises I can do?
#37 of 39 Old 02-26-2009, 10:53 AM

I am starting to notice a pattern that concerns me... I wake up with ideas, and I have to write them down. It's all fine and dandy, however, next week I am back to work, how and when will I write?

I am a morning person, everything comes easier to me around 8-9 AM. Suggestions?

#38 of 39 Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Oriole -- What's the rest of your day like?

I take the bus to work and back, and I found that when I was in the midst of the first draft I would take my commute time to just sit and think about whatever plot problem I was facing, or the next scene I needed to write, or whatever was bothering me. I kept a steno pad with me so I could write down whatever ideas or dialogue snippets or whatever came to mind during the day. Often when I get home it's 3 hours or more before I can sit down again, but as long as I'd written down the stuff I wanted to remember I could then sit down and start transcribing my notes onto the computer and get into the writing, even if I wasn't feeling very creative by that time of night.

#39 of 39 Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM

I drive to work, so I can't be writing during my commute (well, I guess I could, but pedestrians and other drivers will frown on it, for sure.)

I teach until 3PM, wrap up my day at school around 4, and I am back home around 4:30. Between making dinner and correcting papers - I'm worn out. That's why I chose to do only 1,000 words a day in the first place. I wish I could write in the morning...

I'm thinking I might choose to get up earlier than usual, and get to work an hour or so early. That way I can write before I need to be ready for the day.

Thanks for making me take another look at my day, I really hope I can have the discipline to do this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page