Where would I submit a short story? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for publication? I have written a short story and I'd like some ideas as to where to send it? And how to send it.
I've never submitted a short story and I don't have the first clue as to who would publish it.

I'm thinking print, not online.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
for publication? I have written a short story and I'd like some ideas as to where to send it? And how to send it.
I've never submitted a short story and I don't have the first clue as to who would publish it.

I'm thinking print, not online.

Thank you
check out duotrope.com. it is such a great resource--you can narrow your search by genre, type of submission (snail or electronic), payment if any, etc etc.

i'm currently searching for magazines that are print, but have electronic submissions. there are some electronic magazines that i would love to be in, though--AGNI on-line is an example.

you have hundreds of options where to sub, so start subbing! :

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#3 of 20 Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hrmm: is it a genre story? Science fiction and fantasy often have their own niche magazines. Other than that, not a clue, sorry: I've never done short stories. I'd be interested to hear from other readers if you pitch it the same way you'd do a novel, or send the whole thing in as well without waiting to be asked for the full manuscript, or..?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#4 of 20 Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Hrmm: is it a genre story? Science fiction and fantasy often have their own niche magazines. Other than that, not a clue, sorry: I've never done short stories. I'd be interested to hear from other readers if you pitch it the same way you'd do a novel, or send the whole thing in as well without waiting to be asked for the full manuscript, or..?
You'd send the whole story with a very short cover letter, something like:

Dear X,'
I'd like to submit a shorty story, TITLE, WORD COUNT, for your consideration.
Thank you for your time.
(and here you may want to write your 3rd person bio).

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#5 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM

It depends on where you are sending it. Is it literary in nature or genre? I submit to literary journals and would be happy to share that process with you if that is what you're looking for. Just pm me.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#6 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
It depends on where you are sending it. Is it literary in nature or genre? I submit to literary journals and would be happy to share that process with you if that is what you're looking for. Just pm me.
how is a literary submission different from a genre one?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#7 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a way to post the story?

I wouldn't mind sharing it but I don't want to just post it, it's long.
#8 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
how is a literary submission different from a genre one?
Well, most literary journals aren't interest in say romance (Harlequin type), true horror, fantasy (fairies and such)... That doesn't mean that those stories can't also be literary, just usually they aren't. There are magazines that are interested in those works.
Literary journals and the work they promote follow literary traditions and change them. My recommendation when looking at literary journals is to buy, look for in the library, and subscribe to as many as possible. Find out which ones are publishing work like you are writing. For stories some good ones to start with are Glimmer Train, Zoetrope, The Georgia Review, Narrative, Fiction, etc... They also have very specific submission guidelines and if you want your work read, you must really pay attention to those. Keep cover letters short, and don't summarize your work in them.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

mine would maybe fall under the literary category as it isn't either of the categories...well it has a romantic element in a way but well, it's not harlequin romance romantic.
#10 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can I send it to you and you could let me know if it should be submitted to literary journals?
#11 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Well, most literary journals aren't interest in say romance (Harlequin type), true horror, fantasy (fairies and such)... That doesn't mean that those stories can't also be literary, just usually they aren't. There are magazines that are interested in those works.
Literary journals and the work they promote follow literary traditions and change them. My recommendation when looking at literary journals is to buy, look for in the library, and subscribe to as many as possible. Find out which ones are publishing work like you are writing. For stories some good ones to start with are Glimmer Train, Zoetrope, The Georgia Review, Narrative, Fiction, etc... They also have very specific submission guidelines and if you want your work read, you must really pay attention to those. Keep cover letters short, and don't summarize your work in them.
yes, but the actual submission is probably the same, right? this is what i meant. i assume the way to submit is the same--as you say, a short cover letter, maybe a bio, and you story, as per guidelines. i wondered if you knew something different. i only subbed to literary magazines, not to genre.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#12 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to post the story?

I wouldn't mind sharing it but I don't want to just post it, it's long.
I wouldn't post all of it on a public board, as many consider this kind of sharing as publishing--why would someone else publish it, if it is already available on line? You could post the first several paragraphs--it will be obvious, i think, which genre it is.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#13 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah..I was thinking of ways to get ideas, proof reading and suggestions for publishing, having it "read" but not published.
#14 of 20 Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah..I was thinking of ways to get ideas, proof reading and suggestions for publishing, having it "read" but not published.
How long is it? PM it to me. Or post some here.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#15 of 20 Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

it's long...2500 words maybe...
#16 of 20 Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 AM

I love this site.
http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx

So you enter in all the details of your piece and it will bring up different markets. Also they have a mailing list for new markets.
#17 of 20 Old 03-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
it's long...2500 words maybe...
that's not long for a short story. rather short-ish, actually.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#18 of 20 Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM

I assume that it is the same for the genre zines as the literary journals. I've never submitted to the genres. A good book to take a look at when starting as a writer and publisher is Stephen King's On Writing. He talks about alot of it in that book and has published in both worlds.

Sure... pm me with it, or send it to my email, and I'll give it a read for you. Would you like critique as well? Or just suggestions? I'll do either/or or both.

#19 of 20 Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
that's not long for a short story. rather short-ish, actually.
I have Stephen King's book..he gave it to me(how's that for name dropping?)
I meant long for a pm, not long for a short story.
#20 of 20 Old 03-06-2009, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I only write genre (SF/fantasy) and the process is generally the same. Except don't send a bio unless you have solid credits to back you up (meaning having recently sold to a related market of equal or higher prestige than the one you're submitting to). The only other reason to send a bio would be if the guidelines specifically ask for one. Your background matters much, much less than whether or not you've written a good story.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page