Need Input About Children's Book Plot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies, I wanted to get some input.

In a children's book (picture book) being written today, do you think that the use a of a newspaper (as in, somebody looking something up in a newspaper) is still relevant and appropriate? I have a solid idea that I'm getting out on paper, but I'm wondering if using a newspaper might seem dated in the (near)future. I can see both sides and my opinion changes by the minute.

I just need some fresh views.

Thanks!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#2 of 6 Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM

I think it will depend on what it is that they are looking up.
I think newspapers are very relative to local news and ads, probably not so much for world news. That's just my humble opinion.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#3 of 6 Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
Hey ladies, I wanted to get some input.

In a children's book (picture book) being written today, do you think that the use a of a newspaper (as in, somebody looking something up in a newspaper) is still relevant and appropriate? I have a solid idea that I'm getting out on paper, but I'm wondering if using a newspaper might seem dated in the (near)future. I can see both sides and my opinion changes by the minute.

I just need some fresh views.

Thanks!
Hmm...I rarely read newspapers (other than on-line), but I can clearly see a newspaper in a picture book! I think it can totally work. I wouldn't worry about "dated."

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 PM

I would agree with the PP. It depends what you are looking up. What? No laptop? No google? I also would say that it depends on who in the book is doing the looking up, is it a parent, child or grandparent?
#5 of 6 Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM

I think a newspaper could definitely work. The only reason to not include something anachronistic is if it's unidentifiable. I think everyone still knows what a newspaper is and probably will for a very long time. Even having Dad read the paper after work instead of getting his news via blogfeed during the day... that would not be unusual. I think it's a very small part of the world that's really abandoning newspapers.

Sounds like you might be getting bogged down in a side issue -- focus on the story and let these details work themselves out.

Writer, editor, homeschooler, velociraptor. 

http://theharpoonist.blogspot.com

#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mommas!

The newspaper is actually pretty pivotal to the plot....and would work so much better than looking something up on the internet. I'm feeling so much better now. I work in television news (as do most of the people I've been asking) and we're admittedly biased.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page