Feedback Sought: Professional Profile - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT seeking a job or advertising my services. I currently have a wonderful position as a nanny, with which I am quite satisfied. I am simply seeking help with my professional profile for future use. Thanks for your input.

I am looking for feedback, if you please, on my Professional Profile as a Creative Play, Waldorf-Inspired Nanny. When searching for a job, I often use this profile to introduce myself. It is the first impression received by potential "clients" in a midst of hundreds of other childcare ads when I post online. I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle! It is important to me that my profile speaks to parents in a way that comes across as both sincere and professional.

I have my current job, with which I am very happy, as a result of this profile. I found it's helped me a great deal in making an online introduction, and I would like to step it up a notch before I tuck it away for next time.

I want to target my ideal "client": the waldorfy, babywearing, respectful, attachment parenting, gentle disciplining, perhaps homeschooling/unschooling Mamas and Papas.

Focal Concerns:`
- Do I succeed in presenting an attractive case for myself as a capable professional in my field? How so?
- Did I go overboard in the self-promotion department? Does the bio-esque quality add to my message, or just make me seem vain?
- Am I successful at targeting my ideal client and warding off undesired responses from others?
- Am I too "wordy" throughout the profile? Are parents liable to lose interest before they understand my message? If so, do you have any suggestions for editing it down?
- Do I project too much/too little/just enough personality throughout the profile? Would it be more desirable to stylize my writing to project my oh-so-unique self?
- I want to avoid sounding "preachy" throughout the text. Are there any suggestions for how to do this while still reaching out to my niche audience?
- Is there anything I should add at the end to make the closing more organic and less abrupt?
- Grammar, diction?

... anything else!?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

DEAR PARENTS,

I am 21 years old with credits from The Rhode Island School of Design and The School of The Art Institute with focuses in Art Education and Environmental Domestic Living & Architecture. I am now working to complete a degree in Early Childhood Education. Ultimately, I will receive my certificate in Waldorf Teaching. I have well over a decade of professional experience in the fine and performing arts. I’m a children’s book author, publisher and experienced gallery artist. I’m CPR and First Aid Certified, with over six years of professional childcare experience that leaves me comfortable with children of all ages including infants, twins and multiples.

CHILDCARE EXPERIENCE [[needs updating]]

Being the oldest sister and first of many kid-litters in a big, close-knit extended family, I’ve always been surrounded by children. At sixteen, I got a job as a teacher’s aid at the same private Massachusetts childcare center that I once attended when I was young. I gained three years of indispensable experience there; working with children of all ages including multiples and about a year almost exclusively with infants up to twelve months old. My younger sister now works with the same children at three or four years old that I used to cradle as infants!

When I moved to Chicago for school, I was very lucky to find a position with a great family almost immediately. I took their little girl for walks to the park, bike rides, urban nature hikes and trips to museums. We built tents and forts and boats and cardboard houses. We did heaps and heaps of art and we made lots of music together. It’s been a gift and a joy to watch her grow and be able to be a part of it. It was a sad goodbye when she and her family moved to Ireland full-time, but we keep in touch and get together when they come back to the city for a visit.

EXPERIENCE IN THE ARTS

My mother, sensing I that I was nearly full to bursting with expendable energy, first enrolled me in dance classes when I was three. At seven, I started dancing competitively and at ten I began a career in musical theatre and classical vocals. I've performed in Broadway in Boston, and traveled overseas to sing in Austria and Italy. I've also toured the east coast, performing at a number of popular spots including the Smithsonian Museum in DC and Disney World in Orlando. I've been in more theatre productions than I can count!

After years on stage by my senior year of high school, I was gravitating away from the performing arts and toward the fine arts. I attended a summer residency program at the Rhode Island School of Design where I studied Graphic Design. I ended up moving to Chicago and spending a couple of semesters in the Performance Art department at The School of the Art Institute. I’ve also spent considerable time with fibers. Last summer, I took a performative sculpture piece to a festival in Skien, Norway. I’ve also been studying Art Education and Environmental Domestic Living & Architecture.

THOUGHTS ON CHILDCARE

I absolutely adore my work with children. Parenting, in my opinion, is the most important job in the world. Childcare is a close second. I have fond memories of the many people who helped to raise me outside of my immediate family. Through my work, I hope to instill a similar feeling of trust, security and inspiration in those children that I care for.

For children, opportunities for discovery are everywhere. Actively engaging them with their surroundings allows them a better understanding of their own growing perspective. I am invested in being a trusted friend and helping children to positively engage their own minds, bodies and feelings. I am receptive to a child’s needs and will respond to them without overpowering his or her unique creative thinking process or taking the reigns. I feel that play is a child’s job, and my job is to help them develop that play with confidence, offering gentle insight and guidance where needed.

I have a holistically minded philosophy when it comes to care. Children are whole people, and I will insist upon treating them as such. They are smart and receptive, often hearing and learning more than we realize. Environment, therefore, is critical. Stress on a child can yield a subtle, but destructive impact, creating a sense of unrest and often insinuating so-called “behavioral issues”. Placing children in a playful, positive, encouraging, creative, mindful environment is a number-one priority of mine.

Rather than a system of rewards and punishments, I look at discipline as a process of bonding with the child in order to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering. A child needs his/her needs met and understood. A child needs a peaceful, bonded relationship with his/her caregiver. A child needs to feel safe and unconditionally loved. Only under these conditions can a child truly give plentiful space in his/her mind for growth and learning.

I have studied the Waldorf and Montessori methods with great interest, and my approach is largely inspired by Steiner’s beautiful Waldorf curriculum. I avoid sitting children in front of the television. Instead, I promote creative play, encouraging children to be self-imaginative, and therefore avoiding the common latter-day problem of needing constant electronic stimulation and pre-made games to keep oneself busy. Adventures in play are my forte. I enjoy going outside for walks, discovering surrounding plant and animal life and making up expressive stories and songs. It behooves me to let children lead the play, without being prompted by the questionable agenda of a mass-produced, battery-operated toy. I seek age-appropriate ways to safely engage children in everyday adult activities like baking, cooking, gardening, recycling and cleaning up. Even making his or her own toys and clothing! Besides the “educational experience” and preparing them for a future of resourcefulness and creativity, I find that activities like this provide children with an immense feeling of accomplishment, helping to build self-esteem.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#2 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM

i'm going to come back to read more closely when i have a few more minutes but on first glance i think it reads very well!!!!!!
#3 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama View Post
i'm going to come back to read more closely when i have a few more minutes but on first glance i think it reads very well!!!!!!
Thanks dharmama!
I'm looking forward to what you and others have to say.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

#4 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM

I wish you were my nanny.

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#5 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryMom View Post
I wish you were my nanny.
Aw, thanks Mama!

#6 of 6 Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 PM

sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

i'm not sure i can respond to each of your questions but overall i think it is a beautiful letter.

i think it would be helpful to move your thoughts on childcare up to the top of the letter. (followed by your childcare experience and then your experience in the arts.)

i was imagining myself looking for a nanny and it wasn't until you got to the philosophies that i really "tuned in" to what you were saying and thought...oh wow! i think i would connect with her.

and this is just a stupid little thing fwiw but "kid litters" kind of rubbed me funny.

Quote:
Being the oldest sister and first of many kid-litters in a big, close-knit extended family...
i definitely get what you are saying and the point you are making but the words just didn't sound/feel right to me.

oh and one more thing before i have to run....

Quote:
Rather than a system of rewards and punishments, I look at discipline as a process of bonding with the child in order to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering. A child needs his/her needs met and understood. A child needs a peaceful, bonded relationship with his/her caregiver. A child needs to feel safe and unconditionally loved. Only under these conditions can a child truly give plentiful space in his/her mind for growth and learning.
as a parent i'd like to hear something about how you would work cooperatively with me to resolve issues of concern etc.

it's really a lovely letter and you sound like an absolutely wonderful care provider!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page